New Projects

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
ManiaC

New Projects

Post by ManiaC »

Hello guys,

the past 4 days im working on two maps, (FFA/CTF) both are finished to 30% i think... but i made good progess, so i wanted to share it with you all.=)
p.s thx to Killahkeezy for starting mapping as well and asking for help...so i got new power to work on some maps! =)

First the FFA map:
Spaceship?!? dont know yet

Room 1: FF/Duel Arenas

Here i would like to add a lot more of frames with JK2 players, arround the arenas

Room 2: Green thumb

Here you can see how big the map should get.

Room 3 : Hangar (future)
Room 4 : Command Center(future)
Room 5 : No idear yet(future)

So, this is the CTF map im working on...called yin-yang

yeah thats it for now i hope you guys like what you see =)
Boothand
Administrator

Re: New Projects

Post by Boothand »

Very cool! :D I particularly like the design in this screenshot: http://up.picr.de/23260474vg.jpg

Both maps seem to be very big. My only concern is that the CTF map might have a lot of empty space, but hard to tell before trying.
Good work, keep it up!
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

last pic, left side next to the blue symbole...will not be playable for example, i have that in mind =)(the space)
Killahkeezy

Post by Killahkeezy »

looks good :) !
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

nice
the lights can be improved i think
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

Yeah already happend :)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Great work!
Seems like a lot has changed since I last saw your map. Looks very promising.
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

Some update from the map:
On the first picture you can see the black kinda startpoint for the FF in the arenas...if you go on that point the door behind you closes for 1 Minute...so you cant get interrupted or even get out of the arena.

Ferox

Post by Ferox »

seems like a great project, hopefully it will be played on.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

nice except for the wall texture on the last screen :P
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

alpha version
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Look great, keep doing! :P
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

Update:

Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Awesome update! Looks good. *thumps up* ;)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

really nice, i like to see people back to mapping, im a coder but i like to modify or made small maps, doing tricks and funny things with entities, etc... :D

So, yours are very detailed, what are u thinking about the sky? maybe an animated sky would be nice!

Another thing. ive seen u have a jk2 logo model, but urs is a little "basic". i have a better one, do u want the model?
(im talking about improve this)
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

at least i can look at it =D!
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Here is the brus model. the detail is:

Code: Select all

classname func_rotating
origin 48 2496 -2512
spawnflags 1
speed 25
also u can put a nice chrome texture/shader

Code: Select all

textures/forest/chrome
{
    {
        map gfx/effects/chrome
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        tcGen environment
    }
}
Attachments
jk2logo.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times
Miso

Post by Miso »

I really like the maps you're producing. I like the first map you showed Chosen & I on Daggolin's test server.

It would be cool if you made a small TFFA map :)
Jj.miso
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

thx dude good feeling to know that ppl like what i make =D

k, i think about it =)!
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

looks like forest house @Tr!Force
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

ouned wrote:looks like forest house @Tr!Force
yes! nice view! i separated it from there in a single file :D
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

The JK2 symbol Ook made it looks like.....with his chrome shader. I liked the symbol so I placed it in a couple maps. I don't remember ever officially allowing use of it but no worries. Both Ook and I would be glad for anyone to use it or even to make it into a map file and let others use it. (I've thought about doing it myself including it in a prefab pack for download). And the ladyluck....I'm interested to know if that came from the prefab I put on JKhub :)

The origin value is there as it doesn't use an origin brush to keep it centered. One little trick to know, I selected the object, then clicked the outside of the circle to deslect it, then I clicked it again to reselect it then I turned it into a func_rotating. Doing this selects the outside of the circle as the main brush for the func_rotating. To get the origin value after that, I would deselect the entire thing, click the outside of the circle, copy>paste>delete then right click the overhead view in the editor and right click the center of the circle and place an info_notnull (or something with an origin value). Then I would bring up entity info of the notnull to get the origin value (then delete the notnull), then I would put the origin value on the func_rotating. (sounds complicated but really isn't lol)

I see a lot of potential in the work u are doing. Keep up the good work :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

The origin value is there as it doesn't use an origin brush to keep it centered. One little trick to know, I selected the object, then clicked the outside of the circle to deslect it, then I clicked it again to reselect it then I turned it into a func_rotating. Doing this selects the outside of the circle as the main brush for the func_rotating. To get the origin value after that, I would deselect the entire thing, click the outside of the circle, copy>paste>delete then right click the overhead view in the editor and right click the center of the circle and place an info_notnull (or something with an origin value). Then I would bring up entity info of the notnull to get the origin value (then delete the notnull), then I would put the origin value on the func_rotating. (sounds complicated but really isn't lol)
wat
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

ouned wrote:
wat
Just basic mapping tricks. Rather simple once you did did it yourself. But I had to re-read the post before I understood what that part meant, I just didn't map enough. The above is actually rather simple compared to making doors that don't close automatically, but only when you press their switch again. :mrgreen:
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

lol to the wat response :P

to see what I mean......give the func_rotating (jk2 symbol) a targetname in gtk.

make something to target the func_rotating.

This will create a line from the target to the targetname (the jk2 symbol)

This line will show you what piece of the Jk2symbol is the main piece of the rotating object.

The func_rotating object will be centered on this piece without an origin brush.

If you have an origin brush AND an origin value, with the func_rotating object will be centered on the main brush and not the origin brush unless of course the main brush of the object is in fact the origin brush :P

Making the correct piece of the rotating object the main piece, eliminates the guess work needed to place it exactly where you want it to be. The question is....how can you make sure that the object will be exactly where you want it to be? You may not experience this problem yourself with the JK2 symbol. If you copied and pasted it from another map without doing anything to it but changing the origin the piece that should be the main piece IS the main piece.

Lets say you selected the entire Jk2 symbol and made it into a func_rotating yourself. but when you turned it into a func rotating, the j or k was selected as the main piece by the editor, the rotating object will rotate on the j or k and you will observe it wobbling in your map. You have multiple brushes for a func_rotating object, Gtk will only select ONE of those pieces to be the main piece of the object if an origin brush is not used. The object as a whole is not the main piece. (computers are stupid, they don't know what you want to do exactly, you have to tell it exactly what you want it to do). If you do the target name target thing you should see what I mean.

Or another example. You make a door and a trigger for the door. You will see a light blue line going from the trigger to the door. Now, the door is one entity and doesn't need an origin so the trick I am speaking of doesn't apply unless of course you personaly have a preference what part of the multiple brush door is targeted however, you can see which brush is being targeted by the door by following the line that is made from the trigger to the door.

Func_rotating stuff generally does not need or use a trigger but giving it a targetname and making a trigger or target for it will show you that light blue line pointing straight toward the exact brush gtk has identified as the main brush of the object.

The previous description I provided was to help out to tell GTK exactly which piece of the object will rotate on. I will try to explain it again.

make a box around the jk2 symbol (or whatever needs to be rotated) then > select inside command with GTK.

Click the outside or inside main ring of the symbol holding shift. - this will deselect the inside or outside ring.

Click the same ring you just deselected - still holding shift - this will re-select that ring you deselected in the previous step.

Then right click and select func_rotating - this creates the entire object as a rotating object

At this point you're JK2symbol does not have an origin value.

to get the correct (exact) origin value.......

deselect everything

copy and paste the ring you deselected then reselected in the previous step, then immediatly delete the ring you copied and pasted (doing this is a little trick with Gtk. the copy and paste trick, works with much more than finding origin values.)

switch to the overhead view of the grid and find the center of the ring you copied, pasted and deleted in a previous step.

now right click and add an info_notnull. The info_notnull should be placed exactly in the center of the ring, click n for the entity viewer and you can grab the origin for the info_notnull from there. The func_rotating object will be exactly where you want it to be using this method.

One other object that is helpful in using this method are func_trains.

example : You have a multiple brush object and you create is as a train. the origin (main brush) of that train, even if u do use an origin brush for it, it will be the center point for where it will appear at a path_corner. For the temple of mechanism in one example for the tram. if I select the whole thing without setting the correct brush with the correct origin point, I'm in for a lot of headaches and guess work. The tram would not be where I wanted it if some random brush of the train was selected as the main brush.

A little more about the copy and paste trick for other uses. Lets say you are working on one area of the map and you move into another area. From the overhead view in the new area you are wotking, if you create a brush, it could be above or below where you want it to be then you will have to move it into place. to save a bit of time and instead of having to move the brush you created to where you want it to go, copy and paste something in that area, then delete it, then create a new brush. That new brush will be where you want it to be. This is specifically helpful when adding a new wall or a hint brush or most anything really.

I have observed, gtk remembers where you put stuff and when you put something new in one spot, it remembers what you were doing previously. The best way to control this yourself, is to copy paste and delete something and it's useful to save some time when building a map. Gtk will remember the height and general location on the z axis of the piece that is copied, pasted then deleted. The next brush you create will be the exact same height and location of the z (up and down) axis of the piece you just copied, pasted and deleted.

I hope I explained this enough for you to understand. The only way to explain further would be to make a video tutorial. I also hope this is helpful and will save you some time. :)
Last edited by lil_binger on 16 Nov 2015, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)