Possible Gaming Ladders

Training, captain's game, tournaments and other events. If you want to gather some people, this is where to notify!
UltimateGN

Possible Gaming Ladders

Post by UltimateGN »

Hi!

I've recently been looking to hone my skills in .NET Web Application development and decided to make a gaming ladder system. One of the main reasons behind this was the death of JKA on ESL. Whilst ESL offered many competitive possibilities, including cups and limited ladders - it always seemed a bit flawed and too strict.

I created it mainly for another game, and to help a friend build his community in another game. However I made it in a way, I could add many games, many ladders - and it's ever growing!

I believe when ESL was around they were in contact and talking about building a ladder for JK2. Now that is something that can realistically happen if there is the community support for it.

For those who played on ESL, the ladder system will seem very similar with Elo, Awards, Guestbooks and more.

For those who haven't played JKA competitively, Our ladders are structured like so;

Users can create and join teams (or join solo ladders) which they may then enter into a ladder(s) of their choice.
Each team/player starts on 1000 points, gaining and losing points depending on whom they win/lose against.
This approach uses a loose Elo model, so winning against a top ranked team warrants more points than a lower ranked team.

The JKA section is already thriving and we're hoping we can do the same for JK2!

Link: http://www.UltimateGaming.co
Ferox

Re: Possible Gaming Ladders

Post by Ferox »

Is it also possible to do this for CTF, so for example every CTF player has his 1000 score and depending on whether he loses or not he gains or loses points thus concluding the best few CTF players with the highest score after a season?
UltimateGN

Post by UltimateGN »

Hey,

Would CTF be 1on1? We can for sure add CTF ladders, which are either team based, or 1vs1. The only thing we wouldn't be able to do yet is get detailed information about a teams match, and rank players within the team depending on match performance.

Team based ladders will mean the teams 1,000 points is affected by win/loss, and the players within the team win/lose together. 1vs1 would then be all individual based and each player would be ranked by their own performance.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense!
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

CTF is usually 6v6 (or possibly 7v7 in some cases?).

It could be interesting for 1v1 game modes like NF duel or lame (force or no force). Not sure how many players we can know for sure will participate ahead of time. Often people don't know what they want, until they have it. I guess it depends on how much work they'd have to do, but if it was minimal I could see more people joining as they discovered it in-game.
UltimateGN

Post by UltimateGN »

Sounds good. If you guys think the ladder can work, then we can add it. Any idea on numbers?

Would you have someone on hand to discuss a rule set too? Maybe a thread of collaboration would be best?
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

is it possible to create individual rating per player that synchs with a webpage to check the stats online? rather than basing it only on win/lose (because teams can be unfair or not balanced), i think people are more happy with it if its an individual rating of the performance such as flag picks, scores, mine picks, e.g. though, win or lose should obviously still affect the individual rating else people just play for the stats.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Ferox wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 11:02 is it possible to create individual rating per player that synchs with a webpage to check the stats online? rather than basing it only on win/lose (because teams can be unfair or not balanced), i think people are more happy with it if its an individual rating of the performance such as flag picks, scores, mine picks, e.g. though, win or lose should obviously still affect the individual rating else people just play for the stats.
Didn't Ouned use to have a site like that? :)
UltimateGN

Post by UltimateGN »

Pretty sure as there is no exposable API for any of the JK games, it would require a server mod to be able to track that kind of information? Unless there is something I'm not aware of.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

This is something for a game mod to do, not the kind of ladders they are making.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Kameleon wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 11:36
Ferox wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 11:02 is it possible to create individual rating per player that synchs with a webpage to check the stats online? rather than basing it only on win/lose (because teams can be unfair or not balanced), i think people are more happy with it if its an individual rating of the performance such as flag picks, scores, mine picks, e.g. though, win or lose should obviously still affect the individual rating else people just play for the stats.
Didn't Ouned use to have a site like that? :)
yes but it's long gone
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

so that would require something like a "profile" everybody (automatically) logs in via game mode on the cpt server to track stats and then sending the stats to a public webpage? finding the proper amount of points to reward performance in-game is one thing but such a stats system would actually motivate people to play alot, regardless if its stats for public or cpts
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

ouned wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 12:22
yes but it's long gone
Even the source? :D
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Kameleon wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 07:38
ouned wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 12:22
yes but it's long gone
Even the source? :D
nah, but it really isn't worth looking at. Just ugly MySQL table insertions using an ancient mysql c binding
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

The servers would need some kind of system though to define when something is a 'match' and not, so people wouldn't cheat their stats by for example joining with a second JK2 client and killing it hundreds of times. Not sure how this is done in JKA?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

It's a 1v1 ladder tournament. Not automatic, global ranking system like you can see in many online games for match-making. Each match must be planned (one player challenges another on the website), agreed upon and played in due time. Then you manually report results on the page.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Players log into individual accounts, and then you could have a command to print the current stats when it ends? :P Then you could easily either screenshot it or save it in other ways? :D
UltimateGN

Post by UltimateGN »

Kameleon wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 14:56 Players log into individual accounts, and then you could have a command to print the current stats when it ends? :P Then you could easily either screenshot it or save it in other ways? :D
It does log K/D and W/L at the moment.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

would it be possible for a mod to track two different game types, one would be public CTF and the other would be captains CTF, whereas whether captains CTF can be switched on and off by the admin (frankly, so no1 joins captains server alone and ranks up)? obviously, public CTF should also only track if there are at least e.g 6 people on the server.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

@Ferox, this system is based off people agreeing to play, then setting up their own game and playing it, screenshotting/demoing the result and logging it to a site, I think. That would work for captains, but not for public.
UltimateGN

Post by UltimateGN »

Boothand wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 06:52 @Ferox, this system is based off people agreeing to play, then setting up their own game and playing it, screenshotting/demoing the result and logging it to a site, I think. That would work for captains, but not for public.
Yes that's absolutely right. I started by proposing a simple 1vs1 ladder as it's currently the easiest and best model to adopt for smaller communities. CTF would be possible - but not server mod's will be created.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

is there a way without too much effort to do it automatically via a mod (and send results to a homepage just to display)? i have no idea of creating stats or a mod, so i wouldnt know but i can try to support it as good as i can by trying to figure out which in-game action (e.g picking up forcefield) should be rewarded with how many points to get a good review of the individual performance
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)