Saber Shenanigans (dev thread)

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
Boothand
Administrator

Saber Shenanigans (dev thread)

Post by Boothand »

As some of you know, I am making a mod which is a pretty big change from regular JK2. With sabers you gotta block manually in the correct direction. You gotta block blaster shots and other projectiles with more effort. Guns are dangerous. Sabers very dangerous. And it's soon ready for more frequent playtesting through connecting and downloading the clientside.

Features in version 2.7a:
  • Blocking left, right and up. Diagonal swings get blocked by side blocks.
  • Basic unfinished mouse movement blocking support (ala Mount&Blade)
  • Canceling swings.
  • Yellow style only.
  • No twirl animations, and no too fast transition moves.
  • Blocking correctly removes the wait time after a block before you can attack again (indicated by /ss_feintTimer (250))
  • Location based damage for sabers, and in-progress for guns. Head = 125 dmg, torso/hands = 80 dmg, feet = 50 dmg.
  • Reduced speeds for sabers and general movement for balance and fair reaction times.
  • Shots must be blocked one at a time. Shots are reflected in the exact direction you look, instead of automatically towards attacker.
  • More powerful guns, quicker projectiles but more time between shots.
  • Some new animations - 4 blocking animations are changed, 2 are added, one new (but imperfect) vertical slash animation.
  • Appropriate blocking anims are triggered if you react correctly early enough, adjusting to which attack the opponent is doing (only visual effect).
  • Effects to resemble old trilogy - saberburn, sparks, blaster impacts with more smoke.
  • Correct/corresponding clientside version required to enter the game in a SS server.
  • Rocket jumping!
  • Basic joMME support - thanks, ent!

Planned and possible features:
  • New animations for swings that look unclear (currently top needs work, possibly top left and top right too).
  • Red style - slightly slower but more range.
  • New gametypes, some with sabers, some with guns and sabers.
  • No "ammo" for blasters but cooldown system like in Battlefront (possibly).
  • 2 vs 1 gametype with support for staff saber through new animations (possibly).
  • More accurate player hitbox, possibly more than one.
BIG CHANGES IN 2.8a
  • No more directional blocking, only right click + aim to block.
  • Movement and combat speed set back to base JK2, with some changes in transitions.
  • Red style enabled and can chain (max 3 swings).
Source code: https://github.com/Boothand/SaberShenanigans

Any discussions and questions are very welcome in this thread.
Thanks to those who have tested with me so far and helped me on the way (credits are due when I reach the first 'release')!

A cool fight from me and Yolokala's test yesterday, and my first little 'teaser':
ouned
Administrator

Re: Saber Shenanigans (dev thread)

Post by ouned »

very interesting.
definitely going to test it out.

is there a test event or something like that?
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I wanna set up something like that, once I figure out how to make people download the clientside from the server.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

finally a mod with a "realistic" saber combat :D

i definitely want to try it :O
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Yeah, the saber combat system will be great I feel. Same feeling I had when I played alpha version of a game from unknown, independent Turkish dev team, that was later called Mount&Blade :-)
Overall the project sounds very ambitious, almost too ambitious for one person. Basically better, more demanding MovieBattles.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Indeed, quite ambitious. I think in this case though, I've soon reached the stage where I have something to fall back on.

I'm afraid to count the hours I've spent on this, it takes a lot of time (though enjoyable of course). I'd be happy for contributions of course. I'm not taking anything from existing mods, but again, I don't need to replace every asset out there.

Things I'd be happy for, which I would have to do myself otherwise:
-An IK rig for the humanoid skeleton, for Blender.
-Old trilogy-esque sounds for sabers. Looking for the high pitched electrical clash buzz (reference)
-Powerful impact sounds for blasters (reference). Already got visual effects pretty much, but they don't sound powerful enough.
-Anything described in issues: https://github.com/Boothand/SaberShenanigans/issues
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

You could ask Darth Marty for permission to use his OT saber sounds? :) viewtopic.php?f=39&t=142
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I could, but I'm not too excited about kind of integrating other mods into another. I don't know. I wanna give a try changing some of the clash sounds as well, so it would probably be a modified version. However, doing the same exact work twice would be silly as he's done a great job, so will keep that in mind if I need help.
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

Boothand wrote:I could, but I'm not too excited about kind of integrating other mods into another. I don't know. I wanna give a try changing some of the clash sounds as well, so it would probably be a modified version. However, doing the same exact work twice would be silly as he's done a great job, so will keep that in mind if I need help.
very good attitude =)!
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

you keep the qvm's updated on the git repo? (base/vm)

i want try it today
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Will commit & push the qvms when I get home. Maybe I can manage to pack files automatically into a zip and commit that somehow, too.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

You will be sorry 100 commits later ;)

https://help.github.com/articles/distri ... -binaries/
Although distrubuting them via jk2mv download is probablye the best option.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Like, that I would have 100 zip files? :P Maybe.. I know some people have 'buildbots', not sure how that works, or if it's applicable to making a .pk3.

Maybe instead I'll just have builds/SaberShenanigans with the necessary files in, and people could download that and put it in their GameData. Not in pk3 form though. Would be like, unpacked into the SaberShenanigans folder. Not sure what people prefer.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

you should keep the original jk2 source file format and keep all required files extracted into base folder

base/vm
base/vm/jk2mpgame.qvm
base/vm/cgame.qvm
base/more stuff...

jk2mv does the same with their "assets" folder

so if anyone wants to try just place these on the mod folder (or in a pk3).

anyways is a suggestion :P
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

How about something like this? https://github.com/Boothand/SaberShenan ... ster/build

I wish there was a big download button for that folder, but at least placing that in your GameData gives the latest build, and it's nicely setup on my end, as I only need to run a .bat file to update them.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:How about something like this? https://github.com/Boothand/SaberShenan ... ster/build

I wish there was a big download button for that folder, but at least placing that in your GameData gives the latest build, and it's nicely setup on my end, as I only need to run a .bat file to update them.
nice idea to start :)
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Replaced wind-up animations for TL, TR (upper diagonal swings), so that they can be used to protect the head at one side during the swing through good old fashioned saber collision. It's like a counter. Not using the block button.

Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

ure using 1.02 source? can u REMOVE that fucking lightsabersaber player touch, or make it customizable? i mean to keep it like the g_saberDmgVelocityScale in 0 like the newer versions 1.03 & 1.04 D:

when the player "jumps" if is touched by a lightsaber, a jedi saber combat, is soooo un-realistic lol :lol:

EDIT: nice video"
Last edited by Tr!Force on 18 Jan 2016, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

1.02 source, yeah.
I'll look into that. Idle damage isn't a very big part of gameplay, more game-feel, so can probably make a cvar for this.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:I'll look into that. Idle damage isn't a very big part of gameplay, more game-feel, so can probably make a cvar for this.
plzzzzz :cry: the mod is awesome, dont mess with that :lol:
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Wow that looks so cool - keep working on it.
Can't wait to see the final result. :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

I'm especially excited about the weapons. Maybe you should remove some of them completely though. E.g. the Rocket launcher etc. which is absolutely superior to sabers & force.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

My initial idea was to only have blaster type of guns that would be more 'common' in the movies - so the bryar, E-11 blaster, wookie-caster, all modified, and perhaps some other modified weapons. But I'm kind of on the fence about some of the weapons, like the rocket launcher of course, and the repeater, the flechette and the sniper.

The common denominator for all weapon changes so far has been to make them more powerful, slightly faster bullet speed but slower to fire. I'm wondering how the rocket would play out if it had a rare respawn and maybe 2 shots (no seek), slightly faster speed but less splash damage and explosion (maybe more like quakelive). I did something to make rocket jumping possible, with less self damage, and I really enjoy using it as a climbing tool, in a way. Sort of goes outside the immersion I'm going for otherwise of course, though. :P

As for flechette, the primary fire can be saber blocked one fragment at a time, but it also gets blocked at the saber box. So some fragments will hit you, and some will be reflected. Alt-fire might not fit in.

Have thought about making repeater a bit slower to fire and less ammo, to make it possible to deal with, yet stressful. Alt-fire doesn't fit too much in.

Sniper, I don't know. It can be saber blocked currently. If it gets included, it will be a rare respawn as well, and limited in use and ammo.

Force powers won't be included in Saber Shenanigans, at least not on any that I would host.

Feel free to post any suggestions for weapons (and anything else)!
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Boothand wrote:Have thought about making repeater a bit slower to fire and less ammo, to make it possible to deal with, yet stressful. Alt-fire doesn't fit too much in.
If this means that I will need to furiously press rmb to block repeater - I refuse to molest my scarce Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a like that.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

If that becomes necessary, something has gone wrong. Instead of drrrrrrrr, I'm thinking more du du du du du. At best it should be a rare occurence, else it will just have to be nerfed even more or removed. I also refuse to mistreat my mouse like that.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)