Server status / JK2 Activity as of 3/18/2016

Write about anything here.

Moderator: JJ Moderators

Miso

Server status / JK2 Activity as of 3/18/2016

Post by Miso »

There's been quite a few changes over the last couple of months for the JJ servers & more, and I would like to clear up some things that lots of people have been asking about.

London Server - The company that hosted the servers hosted in London (Jedi Junkies EU, @JJ@ League Mod Server, etc.) has fallen under and went out of business. There's no more London server.

In compensation for the company falling under, the new company that bought them out honored me a free server. Since this company is not international (North America only), this server is in Texas and is now acting as the main JJ server and the base TFFA server.

Chicago Server - The contract I had with this company has run out and decided not to renew it since there's now a server in Texas for a full year.

Polish Server - Out of all of the servers I have invested in, this one was probably used the most (besides the occasional JJ meetup on USA). This service runs the common server #1 Polish League as well as the new SaberMod Alpha server. This server's contract runs out in late April of this year. I am probably not going to renew this server unless I am financially able to do so at the time. It's my understanding that this is the only Polish server available on JK2 at the moment.

Regardless of all of the servers, we all know that the Jedi Knight II community has declined quite a bit over the years. The activity migrates from place to place each year. Here's an example of what I am talking about:

All activity is on ~SoL~
4 months later : all activity is on [LOL]HOMEBASE while the population on ~SoL~ has been cut down in half (if not more)
6-7 months later : [LOL] dies, everybody goes back to ~SoL~
3 months later : ~SoL~ goes inactive. JK2 is really dead right now. A mix of 1-3 people on like 5 random servers.
2 months later : A new / old force clan becomes revived ( ~JiP~, #fod ). Activity switches off between the 2. During this time, you see lots of argumentative drama and a mix of people using jkbot.
5 months later : old NF clan revives [ in this case, '=)LoD(=' ]. They become the new rulers of JK2 activity. During this time, you'll have saber fighters come on and request to play TFFA on another server. So this is considered good news for players that like to TFFA.
Meanwhile, servers like ~SoL~ and FOD decline in activity fast, to the point where there's days when nobody goes on. At this rate, if you want to play with people, you have no choice but to play on LoD.
5 more months down the road : LoD's activity starts declining. A majority of their members disappear. They went from having 20+ players to having maybe 5 or 6. But some days, their activity will jump back up for a day. So they are not fully inactive (yet).

Do you see a pattern here? Here is my prediction:

In the next 5 months (maybe less, maybe more), LoD will become inactive and a force server like ~SoL~ will revive (It's actually already in the process of happening. ~SoL~ gets maybe 12 people a day again). Then they will go inactive, maybe some other force clan will revive (or an attempt to make a new clan will happen), then that will go inactive and maybe some other saber clan will revive. Maybe even [LOL] or maybe the Polish community will come back.
Thus, the process repeats itself over and over again until one day JK2 is gone.

This post here is not to bash on any clans. I appreciate any server that manages to get a player base on a game as old as this. This is really to spread awareness, behaviors I have noticed over time, and see if anyone else notices this pattern.

At this point, I am probably going to stop bothering myself investing in servers for people to play on. I personally don't really find it worth it (considering the amount of JK2 I play nowadays compared to how much I played maybe a few months ago). Why invest in servers when there's only probably 2 out of 48(ish) servers being used? It pains me when I run into old players that come back and I have to tell them that JK2 is not what it used to be and is pretty much dead (especially the amount of American players that are reluctant to play on Europe).

Anyways, sorry for being a downer. This post originally started as just informing people about my servers, and it turned into much more than that.
Feedback is appreciated.

er, the end.
Jj.miso
ouned
Administrator

Re: Server status / JK2 Activity as of 3/18/2016

Post by ouned »

well
most people simply join on of the active servers just after opening jk2.
And since the playerbase at a specific time is always at a max. of about 30-40 players, most of them will connected to the same 3-4 servers where the others are.
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Server status / JK2 Activity as of 3/18/2016

Post by Daggolin »

That has been the pattern for years now. Kind of old news. And I am afraid the activity in LoD is actually declining already. Just as anticipated. Looking at the monthly stats of several years it is almost always the same months that are active and inactive on 1.04.

Anyway I understand your decision and it might actually help the game if we have less servers, who knows.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)