SaberMod 2.0

Some servers allow you to use some "code mods" to expand on the server's functionality, as a client or as a host. Expect things like custom saber colors, new console commands, nice admin tools and more.
fau
Staff

SaberMod 2.0

Post by fau »

sabermod-tffa.jpg

SaberMod is a server and client side mod for JK2 1.04 being faithful to original mechanics of the game while trying to improve and promote its competitive aspect.

After extensive testing (11 release candidates) I decided to release SaberMod 2.0. Thanks to miso and JKII - PUG discord users who were kind and patient enough to play on my development server and report bugs for months.

This time around there are not so many obvious changes, I concentrated mostly on fixing remaining bugs (including the elusive player ghosting bug) and polishing features added in previous releases. As always almost all new votes and client options are available in the ingame menu. It's a better, more complete mod. All users of the 1.0 release must upgrade.

Currently you can try it out on following servers:
  • ~Pug // SaberMod: 35.187.68.12:28070 (BEL)
  • God ~ Extreme: 35.157.76.97:28070 (GER)
  • God ~ Extreme Clan Arena: 35.157.76.97:28071 (GER)
All of them have voting enabled and you can try any available game mode from the Modes callvote menu.

Download

Players should simply download it from a server using either cl_allowdownload or mv_allowdownload. Server owners can find all necessary files and documentation in a zip package here: https://github.com/aufau/SaberMod/releases/tag/2.0

What's New
  • Unlagged Disruptor hit detection - lag compensation technique that allows playing instagib comfortably even with very high ping.
  • New votes: Shuffle (teams) and Poll.
  • Voting: callvote cooldown, ability to change vote.
  • Callvote menu: Rules section, maps section: select from server maps rather than your own; download icon next to maps you're missing.
  • 4 force kick effects to choose from: no effect, basejk, no damage, league mod.
  • Crosshair: cg_crosshairColor, new "dot" crosshair (9).
  • Ingame "Message of the Day", can be seen from ingame about menu.
  • Fixed various issues with servers running for a few days or more.
  • "players" game console command prints basic information about players and their fps and packets.
  • Set original (97) FOV limit for all players with dmflags 16.
  • Polished Clan Arena gametype and other previous features.
  • Bug fixes and performance improvements - notably faster map restart.
With new Unlagged hit detection I believe SaberMod is a solid choice for instagib servers.
Clan Arena gametype is fully playable now and we enjoyed it very much in NF setting.
With dmflags 128 and g_kickMethod 3 this version can fully mimic League Mod's mechanics.

All new, configurable server and client options are described in detail here: https://github.com/aufau/SaberMod/blob/2.0/README.rst
Cvar calculator: http://aufau.github.io/SaberMod/cvar-calculator.html
Source code is available on GitHub and covered by GPL2. Remember than you need either author's consent or your mod must be GPL2 too to copy patches from SaberMod. https://github.com/aufau/SaberMod/tree/2.0

Caveats

Even though I tried to prevent it I still ran into issues where some texts don't show up correctly in the menu/scoreboard when changing server from other mod. In such case try reconnecting or fully restarting the game and connecting directly to SaberMod server.

If you autodownload SaberMod-2.0.pk3 from a server using JK2MV and it has a "dl_" prefix, the clientside won't load when watching a demo. In the main JK2MV menu go to Setup -> Downloads and click Make Pernament on SaberMod/dl_SaberMod-2.0.pk3 entry. Then to watch demos with SaberMod clientside, make sure you change your mod to SaberMod first in Setup -> Mods menu.
Attachments
sabermod2.0-players.jpg
sabermod2.0-menus.jpg
Last edited by fau on 07 Jun 2017, 11:39, edited 4 times in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: SaberMod 2.0

Post by Boothand »

Sounds really cool, gotta try it out soon. Never tried Sabermod in the first place.

"Set original (97) FOV limit for all players with dmflags 16.", what does this mean?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

SaberMod clientside has unlimited fov, but if a server owner feels in the gametype he is hosting it would be unfair to have higher fov (I'd say this may be the case for NF tffa, need to think about it in future releases) then he can make clients use max fov 97 as original clientside, by adding 16 to his dmflags server cvar.

Of course this isn't any "anti-cheat" measure, but rather a way to fix a common set of rules and "what's fair" notion by whoever is hosting a server/event.

Also this isn't a new idea, in original jk2 clientside dmflags 16 used to enforce fov 80 which nobody used really
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Hmm, I feel very claustrophobic with 97 FOV. I know someone who uses 500, and yes he can pretty much see all around him, so I understand. I think allowing a little more should be okay though? Just curious, the clientside is required to play, right? In that case, maybe it's not unfair if everyone has the option?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

It is allowed. it's just a dmflag, optional. For example in first person it shouldn't be an issue, but in NF TFFA higher fov makes you see far more behind you which makes it easier to avoid sneaky attack and can be considered unfair. Still for now all servers have unlimited fov, it's just an option.

Also fov 97 has been a limit in 1.04 nf for years, competitive players didn't bother about clientsides etc. It was good because people concentrated on getting better rather than some useless arms race that leaves new or less tech-savy players behind. This is just my opinion.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

i think this is the best 1.04 mod right now
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Thanks, nice that you think so :D

Ofc there are other types of mods that SaberMod doesn't compete with. By limiting it's scope to some competitive modes (although all basejk modes can be played with many bugs fixed) it's easier for me to set priorities right.

FFA/Clan mods (with animations and plethora of client/admin commands), FF mods (although I'd like to add competitive FF support if there are players who are interested), special usage mods (speedrunning, new gametypes) are not comparable really and have their own big followings.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Added some screenshots.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Looks cool! What's the 'Net' stat?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Net is netto damage (dealt - received). earlier it was NetD but just Net looks cleaner on the scoreboard. It doesn't account for team or self damage (nothing accounts for self damage actually).

It was ridiculously to get these stats right. No jk2 mod I know does and I had to patch mine 3 times.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

I may as well go ahead and list what I have planned for next release (haven't really started working on it, now I'm giving some time to jk2mv). If you think something else would be more important or have new ideas then write please. I may release before I implement all these as I did with 2.0.

In my personal priority:
  1. Simultaneous tournament gametype(s), where all players on the server can duel at the same time in separate dimensions (think of round robin-type tournaments, or even brackets)
  2. Spectator features and hud/ui integration finally
  3. Referee system
  4. Next map voting from a predefined map pool instead of a simple nextmap cvar (similar to ql)
  5. Ready up feature rather than current, useless warmup
  6. Add specific fixes for FF and guns game modes if these players wish to use sabermod and work with me.
  7. Macro scanning and some other clientside serverside cheat protection (mainly to make a point)
  8. Experiment with fps-independent physics
  9. Pause
  10. jomme integration (so you can use sabermod cgame with jomme engine)
And a ton of other smaller improvements and bugfixes. Currently my todo.rst is 463 lines long :-) At 750 commits SaberMod is very close JK2MV or ja++ projects in this regard already.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

One thing I don't like about simultaneous duels in tournaments is that nobody ends up watching the matches, not even the finals (in my experience), and that makes it more boring to play and to watch and stream. The more people watching, the more exciting and meaningful.

Curious about what spectator features you're considering, and what would a referee system be like?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Well, these tournaments (simultaneous king of the hill or some complicated round robin system from chess I have researched) will be mainly for public play. I think it's better for real tournaments to be managed by hand anyway. You will be able to skip a round and spectate other players, or if you finish early you will spectate others until they are done with their duels for the round.

I conceived this gametype as a solution for too much spectating in classic duel gametype (very popular in 1.04 once), where only best players get to play really.

Referee system will be probably similar to this of cpma or newer league mods. I think players will be able to vote to make someone a referee and he will have access to the same commands as all players already have by voting, he just will be able to execute them at will. This is to make it easier to set up and organise games, not to give some special powers over the server.

Spectator features… mostly what we've talked about earlier (I think in sabermod beta or sm 1 thread). Haven't implemented these yet. Maybe some health indicators for spectators, maybe multiview. Also want to make sure that current improvements are explained in the hud/ui and you don't need to read documentation to use them.
Last edited by fau on 05 Jun 2017, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Actually I'm thinking, if adding a few optional (enabled by game mode) emotes would make it a viable FFA mod then I would probably go for it. But I think FFA mods have many other fun commands and options I'm not gonna put my time into. What do you think?
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I guess emotes might help some people feel at home, though I personally have never used them.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Boothand wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 11:54 I guess emotes might help some people feel at home, though I personally have never used them.
Doesn't belong in a competitive mod in my opinion ;)
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)