Doom Shields

Any user-submitted maps as well as popular community made maps can be found here!
Kevin
Administrator

Doom Shields

Post by Kevin »

doom_shields.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 1332 times
Title: Doom Shields

Author: Kameleon

File size: 1.6 MB

Release date: October 23rd 2018

Description:
Hello!

Doom Shields is an epic map with many interesting small mechanics, from things that move to things that explode. It is the map where you finally take down Galak Fyyar, after which the entire ship slowly starts to break apart around you. This map honestly took longer than I had expected, but I am very satisfied with the final result. It is rare to find a truly good Doom Shields conversion, so I thought it was about time someone gave it the love and care it has deserved for years, and I have paid attention to as many of the small details of the map as possible, both in terms of audio and visuals.

Certain hatches on the singleplayer version of the map opens in a different angle than they spawn, which is sadly not possible in multiplayer. Because of this, I have taken some creative liberty here and there, which aside from the way the hatches open also include additional ambient noises in a few places.

Every feature of the singleplayer counterpart has been replicated for multiplayer, with the only exception being that gravity doesn't change, as that is not possible without serverside mod support. As per usual I have also added proper MP support with spawnpoints for multiple players, Holocron Jedi Master support, as well as weapons and items placed around the map.

As with the other conversions, the goal was to make it closer to its SP counterpart, as well as to provide support for more gametypes, while of course keeping the FPS as optimal as possible. There are many explosions on the original map, but I dialed those down a notch in favour of a steady FPS.

Some of the features in this serverside Doom Shields conversion includes:
  • Powercores can be destoryed, leaving the shield generator open for attack.
  • Destroying the shield generator initiates "we're doomed," sounding the alarm and making some parts of the map burst into flames, breaking lifts, and more.
  • Pipe and fuel tanks are completely functional, with sounds matched to be as close to the SP version as possible.
  • Button and lift behaviour match their SP counterparts.
  • Ambient noises and sound effects.
  • Support for the Jedi Master gametype.
  • Support for the Holocron gametype.
  • Support for the use of weapons, carefully placed to suit the new supported gametypes.
Installation
To install this, simply make a folder called maps in your server directory, and then unpack the bsp file in there. No need to add it to a downloadable pk3, as it is a serverside map edit. Should you for some reason want to have it installed in the base folder, then it might be required to put it inside a pk3 however, as it may otherwise be loaded before the vanilla Doom Shields, but I generally advice to keep serverside edits in a folder inside of your server directory if possible, as there's no reason for people to download the map.

Screenshots
shot0022.jpg
shot0023.jpg
shot0024.jpg
shot0046.jpg
shot0047.jpg
shot0049.jpg
shot0043.jpg
shot0025.jpg
THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.
Kevin
Administrator

Re: Doom Shields

Post by Kevin »

Uploaded a small first-day hotfix to an issue with the shield I had forgot to add to the final version after it was debugged.
michl

Post by michl »

:D Another great one. Also didn't have that one before. Keep up your workings. :ok_hand: :+1:
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

michl wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 21:37 :D Another great one. Also didn't have that one before. Keep up your workings. :ok_hand: :+1:
Thank you very much :)
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)