Rach strafing grounds

Any user-submitted maps as well as popular community made maps can be found here!
kenny

Rach strafing grounds

Post by kenny »

This map is compatible with both JK3 and JK2

So, this is a map i have been working on together with Rachel (we tested together and i mapped it). This is a pure strafe map with a lot of different jumps. Most of them are quite unique and a real pain to complete. This is a generally very hard strafe map, but a lot of the different strafe tasks has easy to very hard levels. When you play it, rest assure that you will call it impossible, but it is not since rachel completed all tasks.

The rules are:

1. Follow the written instructions
2. Play with 125 fps

Have fun!

Title: Rachel

Author: kenny

Release date: 2016-06-07

Description: Strafing map

THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.
Attachments
rach.jpg
rach.jpg (254.98 KiB) Viewed 100168 times
rachv2.rar
(6.08 MiB) Downloaded 1487 times
Last edited by kenny on 11 Jun 2016, 19:54, edited 4 times in total.
fau
Staff

Re: Rach strafing grounds

Post by fau »

Code: Select all

WARNING: shader 'textures/colors/purple' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
WARNING: shader 'textures/colors/orange' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
WARNING: shader 'textures/colors/blue' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
WARNING: shader 'textures/duelroom/cretemetal' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
WARNING: shader 'textures/duelroom/cretewhite' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
Refusing to load non-power-2-dims(480,64) pic "textures/ken/noprejump"...
WARNING: shader 'textures/ken/noprejump' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
Refusing to load non-power-2-dims(480,128) pic "textures/ken/jumparound"...
WARNING: shader 'textures/ken/jumparound' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
Refusing to load non-power-2-dims(480,128) pic "textures/ken/triplejump"...
WARNING: shader 'textures/ken/triplejump' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
WARNING: shader 'textures/colors/green' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
Results in missing textures. JK2 doesn't support NPOT textures (non power of two).

PS Cool map, we played it previously :-)
kenny

Post by kenny »

I have no idea what that is, me and god did not get those problems. I will google it.. =D
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

All textures need to have have power of two dimensions, that is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc.
You can't have noprejump.jpg texture with dimensions 480x64 or it won't load. Stretch it to 512x64 and see if other errors go away too. No idea how it worked for you and god.

Code: Select all

WARNING: shader 'textures/colors/purple' has lightmap but no lightmap stage!
etc. These textures seem to be missing, are you sure you don't have them in other pk3 or old version of the map?
kenny

Post by kenny »

Oh, i have some old textures in there that i dont use anymore, forgot to remove them -,- Have you checked ingame if you miss any textures? Gona upload a new one in a second.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Now its updated, removed two textures that I did not use which was wrong sizes. All left now is 512x256
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

No, now it looks fine. gj
Valar

Post by Valar »

My heart belongs to all mappers making jumpmaps =^.^= .
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Spent hours on this map with valar, Cutie and greywolf last weekend. Was fun. ;)
Miso

Post by Miso »

I remember testing this when it was in "early" development...this map drove me crazy..super difficult ^^
Can't wait to see what else you added
Jj.miso
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Looks nice. I'm missing some random texture. Just test on sv_pure 1 to see if there is anything missing.

Map looks good as is but to consider
1)I advise using only custom textures at this point. This allows the map to be about 99 percent compatible with jka and if there is anything else u find when u release it, usually its minor changes left like a random model or door that wont work with jka that needs to be changed. Only reason is community is too small to justify releasing for one game a this point. Easier to make the map compatible for both and release it on jkhub or whatever as that. When I use a base texture, I simply open base jk2 and steal it and put into a custom folder. then in radiant there is a file replace you can do so you don't have to go retexture stuff manually.
2)missing a texture or so. test on sv_pure 1
3)got some light burns. Not sure how you're lighting your map whether skybox or light entitiy or both. One of the nice things about using all custom textures in your own folder, is they are easy to modify with a shader. Hence normally ever texture I use also has a shader :P. Reason is a modify to act more like jka so my textures don't have light burns (a problem in jk2 for some reason). Also lets you easy modify it so you don't get fall damage, etc as well :P. Also the default skybox lighting is from around the year 2000. The compiler changed a lot since then although they kinda stopped modifying it around what 2006? Anyways there are a lot of lighting options with different shaders you can use with custom skyboxes just so you are aware that at times look nicer than the old jk2 skybox shaders.
4) are you using detail brushes at all? I saw some subtle things going on with the -vis that would make me thing its all structural brushes?
5)some of the glass texture needs to be scaled up at least for my taste. A lot of over tiling tends to annoy me but that's perhaps just a personal preference as I like larger scale stuff generally.

Looks great though...I'm probably overly technical about stuff.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Ye your right, i quess i need to make it playable in jk3 aswell, will take a while so ill do it when i get time :p

Ye, all brushes are structural and my lightning techniques are cancer. I basically just put lights all over the place.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Looks cool
Another strafing map on which I will fail the easiest challenge :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Let's play it together sometime ouned. :P
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Just make a big box over all your brushes except the outside walls. Then click "select inside."

That will highlight all the brushes. Then go to menu and select "make detail."

The 6 outside brushes that form the walls for your square box should stay structural.

Will make it compile a lot faster and make it not have the glitches with walls appearing and disappearing oddly. Also will make it run better.
kenny

Post by kenny »

So, i have now updated the map once again. Thanks to acrobat who helped me out with feedback and some general mapping issues.
Valar

Post by Valar »

I dunt like the new skybox - clouds are good c:
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

I didnt pick the skybox I just helped with the shader for the jpegs to get the skybox to work. I think the skybox randomly turned out to work much better in terms of lighting. Much less light burn for whatever reason and lighting a bit more uniform and not as bright (a good thing from my view)

Just tried it. Don't see any major problems. seems to work well.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Valar wrote:I dunt like the new skybox - clouds are good c:

Haha, sorry to hear that. I think it is a lot better tho so i will keep it, sorry =( The brightness gets overwhelming when you play it for some hours, that's why i like this more.
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Are you gonna make more maps or was that a one and done?
kenny

Post by kenny »

Well, i have also done 3 other maps, but they all needs some fixing before i can publish them. One of them is here, but needs some fixes. You told me before that i should make like a tower with rachv2 as a skeleton, maybe will do that in future if i get the urge, but im mostly in the ugly and functional genre. I don't think i will add more to rachv2 now, i think it is good as it is. Even for rachel it takes many many hours to complete it all. I could make more challenges on rachv2, but it would mostly just be same type of challenges but different layouts, or combinations of the current ones.

I have some ideas for some new challenge maps, maybe i will start doing it. The problem for me is just the inspiration, when i i know what i want to do i can map it up in a heartbeat, i just need the ideas. As long as people enjoy playing my maps i will most likely do more! Would be great if people could throw ideas at me, or even if someone else wants to make some maps together. It got quite a few downloads now on jkhub, so hopefully i will get some feedback there.
jozuf

Post by jozuf »

rly cool map! need moaaarr!
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hehe, you really cleared it all?

Will not add more to this one, prolly make more maps instead!
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)