Grip - Portal version (Grip 2)

Any user-submitted maps as well as popular community made maps can be found here!
kenny

Grip - Portal version (Grip 2)

Post by kenny »

***Edit: I have now removed some lightnings so it wont ruin your eyes, but its still far from professional lightning. I have also added a small tutorial and some "height-challenges" that you can try out before heading into the map. The maps name is the same, sorry for the inconvenience.***
***Edit2: Updated to new file name***

So, me (Kenny) and my friend ritual was playing Expedition a long time ago, and nubs as we were we could not complete the towers by jumps only. To still be able to complete the towers we cheated using grip, gripping each others to the top. Anyways, i had some basic mapping knowledge and decided to try make a map destined to use grip. So i have now completed 3 of the kind. A few peoples have tried them and struggled really much but still enjoying it to some extent. All maps are quite ugly except this 3rd map that i made, which is respectable at least.

So, initially i wanted to make this grip map with sort of a Portal theme. To play it you need to be two players and each of you enters separate doors. Then by using grip you shall try to solve the puzzles presented. To complete this map you need some brains, skillz and a bit of strafe knowledge. Also a key element is to have a good synergy and timing with your partner. The map might seem insanely hard at first, especially since even the first task is quite tricky, but i can assure you that everything is doable if you have the patience. Although i reserve myself for some possible bugs around the map, one bug-search is done but it will surely still be something. I have also been a bit mean and added timers on the doors, so if you slack too much you need to start over. If this is too hard for you, you could just use admin or just tell me and i could re-compile it without the timers.

If anything is unclear feel free to ask. I would also love to get some feedback on the map, ideas on further puzzles or just why it sucks if you think so =D Some peoples have trouble understanding the grip, so if this does not cut it i can maybe make a short clip to illustrate it. But basically you can just try it in bespin or anything. You grip each others and aim upwards, this will result in that you go flying.

I borrowed some content to make this, which is a photo for the loading screen, two textures and the in-game music. Sorry if your offended, deal with it.

I hope you enjoy my grip map, its unique and I can guarantee you that you have never done this before.

// Kenny

Title: Grip2

Author: Kenny

Release date: 2016-05-28

Description: Too lazy for screenshots, will ruin the surprise. Complete all given tasks with your friend by using grip.

THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.
Attachments
shot0008.jpg
shot0008.jpg (136.16 KiB) Viewed 49640 times
shot0005.jpg
shot0005.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 49640 times
grip2v2.pk3
(7.03 MiB) Downloaded 1093 times
Last edited by kenny on 07 Aug 2016, 15:33, edited 6 times in total.
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: New puzzle map called Grip tower

Post by Daggolin »

I am a huge fan of jump challenges and puzzles on jk2. I didn't get the time to try it out, but it sounds really really exciting.

One little question: as force grip behaves different on each version of the game, is this for 1.02 or 1.03+?
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hope u get a chance to try it out! It is only tested for 1.04. No idea if it works on any other patch, so preferably you do it on 1.04 :)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

kenny wrote:So, me (Kenny) and my friend ritual was playing Expedition a long time ago, and nubs as we were we could not complete the towers by jumps only. To still be able to complete the towers we cheated using grip, gripping each others to the top. Anyways, i had some basic mapping knowledge and decided to try make a map destined to use grip. So i have now completed 3 of the kind. A few peoples have tried them and struggled really much but still enjoying it to some extent. All maps are quite ugly except this 3rd map that i made, which is respectable at least.
haha the same happens to me and my friends. i can say the force-grip style in 1.03 is like 1.04, so we can play like that

Nice map idea i will try in my server. thanks! :D
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I think force grip was heavily changed in 1.03+. I think on 1.02 you are just as fast as always when you hold someone, on 1.03 and 1.04 you are getting slowed down when you hold someone. ^^
kenny

Post by kenny »

Nice! If someone is intrested i can upload my 2nd map too. Its a lot harder tho so i recommend you try to complete this one first.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Ouned and I just spent almost an hour on this and had to abort, cause we ran out of time. Going to try it again when we have more time.
The map is driving me crazy, please upload your second map, too. ^^
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

maybe you should have made it a bit easier, especially the first ones, so players don't get annoyed instantly.^^
we are already stuck on the second one :D
the first ones could be in form of a tutorial or something like that.

maybe a sign with rules: e.g. force speed allowed?

Oh and the map seems a bit too bright, the lights overall look boring but looking good is not the point of the map anyway and thus not really important. Just as a side note.

the idea is fantastic, it's really fun and something real unique.
pls continue, you and your map are awesome
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

It kind of feels like my first attempts on climbing mountains and strafe jumping did. Just that it is not about improving ones own jumping skills, but the gripping experience with a partner. I am really looking forward to find out whether it gets easier over time (like jumping did) or not. ;)

Thanks for the experience so far. :D
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hehe, glad you like it! I know the lightning is kinda poor, might try to fix it later (Overall what i find most diffucult and time consuming to get right). I do not put much time at all into the maps acctualy, its mostly functional maps. When i get good a idea i can map it up very fast.
Maybe i should add a "warm up" course to the map yes, its lame if players just give up on the first level. I struggle kinda much to get the ruggt difficulty, cause me and my friend ritual has almost no troubles completing this map (not to be cocky, but its easy in my opinion =D). The reason that level one is hard is due to the position of the teleport trigger that make a quite tight space between the roof and the trigger. I could also in the future make a beginners map with easy tasks, cause this is my easiest map so far, which still might be too hard.

I will fix my other map and upload it when i have time, it acctualy has an easy first level where u can just get the technique going, but level 3 to 6 is super hard, took me and ritual hours to complete them.

ouned, regarding the rules, maybe should add. Altho its basically only level 1 that speed could possibly help you. Adding some tutorial levels is a great idea as well, would help out a lot i think and create instrest for this puzzle-theme. The second level is very tricky by the way, many steps to finally complete it, you will figure it out :)

Daggolin, there is so much hidden technique in the gripping. How to achieve the greatest heights, longest distances, pre-grip stances, include rolling. You can cover insane distances with just one grip if u get perfect speed and levitation.

Im quite busy IRL with an ongoing move and some other stuff. But when i get time ill make sure to upload my other maps and maybe update this one properly. Thanks a lot for the great feedback, it inspires it alot. As you guys still seem to like it even its hard inspires it even more. (Its kinda nice to find a map that you dont clear in 20 mins too right? ;))

Thanks
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

A challenge map is always exciting. And I guess we figured out most of the area we were stuck in. Just the part where we have to roll and then grip each other up (assuming you are supposed to roll there) is rather difficult cause we mostly mess up the timing. ^^
kenny

Post by kenny »

Ye your supposed to roll. Try this:

1. One of u do a no force jump
2. When that person land u both jump no force
3. When u land again both roll
kenny

Post by kenny »

Updated the map now and added some stuff. See first post.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)