Hexes Ghetto JK2

Any user-submitted maps as well as popular community made maps can be found here!
Hexes

Hexes Ghetto JK2

Post by Hexes »

Title: Hexes Ghetto JK2

Author: Hexes

Release date: 2007 04 01

Description: Well, not to much to say, better explore it by your self, Its really optimised for good FPS, so don't afraid to lag! Has several really nice duelling arena where you can challenge your mates :) It also has some secrets, hint for that Ghetto ;)

If you have any question just contact me with pm :)

I also publishing source file, hope it will be useful for someone!

Download Map here:
Hexes_Ghetto_JK2.zip
(34.03 MiB) Downloaded 1437 times
Download Source here:
Hexes Ghetto JK2 source file.zip
(440.53 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times
Screenshots:

THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.
Last edited by Hexes on 21 Oct 2020, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Hexes Ghetto JK2

Post by Boothand »

Looks brilliant. We should get a bunch of people and play this through soon :)
Valar

Post by Valar »

Star is standing on a building in a big city, when star is thinking about all friend star have meets in jedi knight 2 and star know all those moments will be lost..
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Boothand wrote:Looks brilliant. We should get a bunch of people and play this through soon :)
Thanks! I thinks thats brilliant idea! I am in ;)
Valar wrote:
Star is standing on a building in a big city, when star is thinking about all friend star have meets in jedi knight 2 and star know all those moments will be lost..
Nice video! :)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

We still got the map installed on the dark servers (for years now) and I think we even had the JKA version of the map working (with some small issues as it is for JKA instead of jk2).

Would be really cool to play it again. :)
Thanks for releasing it here.
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Daggolin wrote:We still got the map installed on the dark servers (for years now) and I think we even had the JKA version of the map working (with some small issues as it is for JKA instead of jk2).

Would be really cool to play it again. :)
Thanks for releasing it here.
JKA map on JK2 sounds interesting! :D well the reason I made JKA version was that this map for JK2 reached several limits(mostly shaders) of game engine, this is kinda the maximum you can do on JK2. So only way to build something more was to move to JKA. :)

No problem, me too looking forward to play it again with someone else! :D
Killer1253

Post by Killer1253 »

I already played that map with Daggolin. 8-)
I really like the lighting that is on the map. The lightning where beliveing me the whole map where a disco floor. :lol:
I would like it to play it agian with you guys. :mrgreen:
I had an awesome time on that map and i really like to play it agian. :idea:
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Killer1253 wrote:I already played that map with Daggolin. 8-)
I really like the lighting that is on the map. The lightning where beliveing me the whole map where a disco floor. :lol:
I would like it to play it agian with you guys. :mrgreen:
I had an awesome time on that map and i really like to play it agian. :idea:
Awesome! I am glad to hear that! :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Hexes wrote:well the reason I made JKA version was that this map for JK2 reached several limits(mostly shaders) of game engine, this is kinda the maximum you can do on JK2. So only way to build something more was to move to JKA. :)
Hexes, the shader limitation you suffered from I believe can be overcome for JK2. When you load a map and textures for skins don't show up.....

_lightmapscale you can change to 2 or 3 or higher. My current map lightmap scale is _lightmapscale 5

I am currently working on a map which is almost complete. It's huge and built with JK2 1.02 in mind. My problem now making the map has to do with max faces and not because of JK2 limitations, q3map bugs out and won't compile. I went back in and optimized some stuff and it's running again. And there is more I could optimize so technically I could make the map even bigger. Currently there are around 16,000 brushes in the map. Before I knew about this trick, I think shader errors would start around 7000 brushes for JK2 And most all textures have a custom shader. I believe it was IrocJeff at JKhub who told me about the lightmapscale trick. Sadly I didn't know this trick back in the day which could have helped me out tremendously years ago making maps.

The lightmap scale will make lights brighter from one value to the next so some lighting adjustments will need to be made.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

lil_binger wrote:I am currently working on a map which is almost complete. It's huge and built with JK2 1.02 in mind.
Will be looking forward to see the result of this :D!
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Increasing the lightmap scale has the consequence of lower resolution shadows of course. However it can be applied to func_groups as well, to have variable scale.

Another good optimization trick is to 'mitre', as Moondog calls it - http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/147- ... tre-faces/
I've built my levels that way ever since.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I have not found much of a problem with lightmap scale shadow resolution but where there is one, it's a small price to pay to fix a problem involving shader errors with JK2 mapping. :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Boothand wrote:Another good optimization trick is to 'mitre', as Moondog calls it - http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/147- ... tre-faces/
I've built my levels that way ever since.
hehe.
optimization like that should be automatic :?
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

ouned wrote: hehe.
optimization like that should be automatic :?
When you are working with old stuff, and putting it into something new (like I have done with my current project), I suppose I should have checked a few things first.

Optimization isn't always needed. Trying to optimize everything can cause stuff to look too perfect and not "real" or organic. A small map, as long as fps is good, I wouldn't worry too much about optimization. A large map such as the Ghetto or the current project I am working on, optimizing as much as possible makes a big difference.
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Hello again,

I just found source file of this map in my computer, I will publish it here, I don't think I will ever need it, so hope for someone it will be more useful then me :)

Download link will be up there in the post.

BR.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Hexes wrote:Hello again,

I just found source file of this map in my computer, I will publish it here, I don't think I will ever need it, so hope for someone it will be more useful then me :)

Download link will be up there in the post.

BR.
That's great! Might really help some new mappers to look at other people's map files.

Thank you! :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

thanks @ Hexes
Miso

Post by Miso »

Valar wrote:
filmed with calculator
Jj.miso
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)