ShroomDuck INC Map Pack

Any user-submitted maps as well as popular community made maps can be found here!
Boothand
Administrator

ShroomDuck INC Map Pack

Post by Boothand »

Download:
_shroomduckincmappackv2.zip
(287.51 MiB) Downloaded 2481 times
Permission to upload granted by ShroomDuck 20/08-2015.

Title: ShroomDuck's Map Pack (v2)

Authors: ShroomDuck, lil binger, rhiom, Sirhc, KaiStagon, Drahcir, ook, blue, Kavu and Nate.

Maps in the pack: Bespin Ruins, Big Cannon, Bikini Bottom, CTF Country Roads, CTF Boognish Mines, Khomm series (ctf, ffa, tffa, lab, lavacave and pit), Jedi of the Carribean, FFA Carribean II, Jedi of the Carribean Duel, Yavin Duel, Pinworld Duel, Mustafar, Shroom's Deathstar v2, Sirhc's Bowling, Super Mario 64, Forest Moon of Endor, Rhiom's Retreat, Spacestation, Team Wookiee Invades South Park, Puerto De Drahcir and Transdermal Celebration.

Release date: [Around 2007 (?)]

Description:

From the readme:
"At long last, the first version of the ShroomDuck INC Map Pack! Throughout the 2 years of the map pack's progress, many of our members have had to put the projects on the backburner because of real life. Two of our members have faced life threatening health conditions, one has gotten married, and all have been busy with school or work. Because of this, many projects which weren't close to a stable release had to be tossed so that we could get a release out. We hope to be able to release these in the future, but realistically, this may be it."

This map pack is an overwhelmingly big release, and probably one of the biggest things to happen to JK2. The legend tells of a mapping contest held by the duck himself which led to the aforementioned winners (now authors) working together on this map pack.

A very high percentage of the maps in this pack are classics or should be. Saying something to sum it all up would be futile, but I guess the main theme here is fun. Some of these maps are probably to some extent competitively interesting as well, in particular the Khomm ones and the duel maps. Otherwise, we're talking about largly explorative maps, fun locations and some new ways to play this game. This is a must have.

Following is a lot of screenshots, and some words from the readme. Not all maps are included in these screenshots, but absolutely most of them!

Bespin Ruins:
"Created by lil binger. This map features the classic MP Bespin totally demolished. All doors lead to areas modeled after the SP bespin missions. This is one huge map!"
overview.png
overview.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
statue.png
statue.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
leaningTower.png
leaningTower.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
fromSP1.png
fromSP1.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
fromSP2.png
fromSP2.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Big Cannon:
"Created by Drahcir with help from lil binger and KaiStagon. Touching the door attached to the nuclear cannon teleports the player inside, where he is then launched up and away at an incredible speed."
overview.png
overview.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
outerspace.png
outerspace.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
boom.png
boom.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Bikini Bottom
"Created by KaiStagon. This map is a 3d version of some of the 2d places seen in the TV show "SpongeBob Squarepants," because... well, why not? Some important notes: Pressing "use" on the door of Spongebob's Pineapple and the door to the Chum Bucket allows the player to enter. Additionally, Patrick's rock will open when 'used.' "
sandCastle.png
sandCastle.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 118308 times
bestMapEver2.png
bestMapEver2.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 118308 times
bestMapEver1.png
bestMapEver1.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 118308 times
CTF Country Roads:
"Created by ShroomDuck, Kavu, & Drahcir with help from lil binger. Go catch the flag now, y'all, y'hear?"
redBase.png
redBase.png (2.59 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
boostJump.png
boostJump.png (1.75 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
blueFlag.png
blueFlag.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
CTF Boognish Mines
"Concept by KaiStagon & ShroomDuck, created by KaiStagon, Drahcir, & Sirhc with help from rhiom, ook, lil binger, Kavu, and Blue. The immortal Boognish calls upon thee again! Two towers with destructable floors face each other, with flags nestled inside, and a mine shaft at the bottom. The control pannel in the heart of the mine activates the forcefield separating the two towers above ground. This map features a lot of brand new gametype techniques, as well as new mixed music made in the tradition of "ffa_ They Might Be Jedi's" iconic background track."
overview.png
overview.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
slide.png
slide.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
inside.png
inside.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
CTF Khomm
"(...) Created by lil binger. This series is a variation on a lava-encrusted asteroid, with each map adding to the red-hot atmosphere."
khommMiddle.png
khommMiddle.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
khommBlueFlag.png
khommBlueFlag.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
khommBlueBase.png
khommBlueBase.png (2.36 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
FFA Khomm
"(...) Created by lil binger. This series is a variation on a lava-encrusted asteroid, with each map adding to the red-hot atmosphere."
overview.png
overview.png (2.15 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
importantRoom.png
importantRoom.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
cavelike.png
cavelike.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Jedi of the Carribean
"Created by ShroomDuck & Kavu with help from lil binger & ook. Yo ho, a Jedi's life for me! Features two fully explorable ships, The Pandy Fackler and The Grobe, as well as a rocky cliff with a lighthouse on top."
vaderSaladDressing.png
vaderSaladDressing.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
naturalDucksauce.png
naturalDucksauce.png (1004.14 KiB) Viewed 118319 times
land.png
land.png (799.62 KiB) Viewed 118319 times
Jedi of the Carribean Duel
"Created by ShroomDuck & Kavu with help from lil binger. Yargh, it's dueling time matey!"
overview.png
overview.png (836.14 KiB) Viewed 118319 times
Yavin Duel
"Created by ShroomDuck. Shroom's variation on the JK2 classic."
overview.png
overview.png (2.17 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
lightbeams.png
lightbeams.png (2.22 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Pinworld Duel
"Created by Sirhc. Based on an area from Sirhc's map "Sirhc's Bowling." The dude abides!"
overview.png
overview.png (780.37 KiB) Viewed 118319 times
Mustafar
"Created by Blue with help from KaiStagon. Blue's vision of how Mustafar might look after the events of Ep.3."
overview.png
overview.png (2.34 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
importantRoom.png
importantRoom.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
importantRoom2.png
importantRoom2.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
importantRoom3.png
importantRoom3.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Shroom's DeathStar v2
"Created by ShroomDuck with help from Kavu & KaiStagon. The old classic gets a MAJOR facelift! New textures, completely remodled areas, and brand-spankin' new areas such as the retracting bridge corridor added. I think it's time we witnessed the full power of this battle station..."
hangar.png
hangar.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
outside.png
outside.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
generatorsMaybe.png
generatorsMaybe.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Sirhc's Bowling
"Created by Sirhc. Originally created as Sirhc's entry for the ShroomDuck Mapping contest, this map was released independently. Now we've rounded it back up for you to enjoy again :)"
pacman.png
pacman.png (106.62 KiB) Viewed 118308 times
jumpman.png
jumpman.png (150.87 KiB) Viewed 118308 times
counter.png
counter.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 118308 times
bowling.png
bowling.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 118308 times
Super Mario 64
"Created by KaiStagon. It's-a-me, Mario! This map features Peach's Castle, Bomb-omb battlefield, Cool Cool Mountain, Bowser's Arena, and the Princess's slide all modeled after the N64 game."
bobomb.png
bobomb.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
snowLand.png
snowLand.png (2.2 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
outside.png
outside.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
inside.png
inside.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
basement.png
basement.png (973.7 KiB) Viewed 118319 times
Forest Moon of Endor
"Created by ShroomDuck with help from KaiStagon & Ook. Ewoks in the trees! Imperials in the bunker! ATAT & ATST can fire lazers, logs will swing, and springs will throw! Features Shroom's obstacle duel pad!"
houses.png
houses.png (2.03 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
atst.png
atst.png (2.37 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Rhiom's Retreat
"Created by rhiom. A beautiful samaurai paradise, complete with traditional architecture and hidden areas."
overview.png
overview.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
lavapit.png
lavapit.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
someOtherPit.png
someOtherPit.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Spacestation
"Concept by ShroomDuck, created by rhiom with help from Drahcir & KaiStagon. A large rotating station placed in space, fully explorable inside 'n out! A light beam at the bottom sucks the player in, and the slippery tubes throughout act as a unique mode of transportation."
overview.png
overview.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
tanks.png
tanks.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
padInARoom.png
padInARoom.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
corridor.png
corridor.png (1002.92 KiB) Viewed 118319 times

Puerto De Drahcir
"Created by Drahcir. A scenic village placed along side a large ship. The picture in the ship's interior teleports the player to the at-sea battle! Two ships face off, fighting with emplaced guns and cannonballs!"
overview.png
overview.png (2.67 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
townCloseup.png
townCloseup.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
cannons.png
cannons.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
Transdermal Celebration
"Created by KaiStagon. The Boognish watches from above... This map features destroyed castles floating high in the earth's atmosphere, and is inspired by the Ween song of the same name."
overview.png
overview.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
expressionism2.png
expressionism2.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
expressionism1.png
expressionism1.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 118319 times
THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.
Last edited by Boothand on 20 Aug 2015, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Administrator

Re: ShroomDuck INC Map Pack

Post by Kevin »

So many maps and equally as much nostalgia <3
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I remember when this MapPack came out. :)
It has been a constant companion of all my server's base folders ever since. Both versions of the MapPack actually. Lots of amazing maps by talented people. Thanks to everyone who contributed to that MapPack for all those countless hours of fun and excitement. Sometimes just exploring the maps, sometimes just normal playing and sometime doing all kinds of nonsense (sitting down and enjoying a bacta in the krusty krab, ...). ;)
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

The legend tells of a mapping contest held by the duck himself which led to the aforementioned winners (now authors) working together on this map pack.
Is that the legend? Well, it's true - however there was more to it. I pretended to hold a contest, but intended that all would be winners, and we'd work together on a single map to release in a pack along with the original entries. I really wanted newer and less established mappers to get their chance to create something that actually gets used on servers! As it turned out, working together turned into a whole new thing. It really delayed the project, but we had a lot of fun working with each other. It would be great when I could sketch out Country Roads CTF, and build the basics of it, but then have someone go over it and add the important mechanics and details. The Forest Moon of Endor was a map I had started long ago, but could never find a way to finish it. I just handed it off and the boys got done did it. The back and forth was pretty amazing, and was way beyond my expectations.

I actually feel bad about the name of the pack. It was initially called that so that when it was released, my 'fame' would draw people in and give the exposure to the new guys. Well the new guys turned out to put WAY more into the project than I did. In many, many cases, their skills exceeded mine. Their creativity went beyond things I've thought of. Their work on ideas I had deserves soooo much credit, that the name just feels wrong to me. But really, I didn't know what else to call it.

My other regret is the best map I ever made that didn't make it in time for the pack release.

I had a map in beta that was something that had never been done before. It was called "Speed" (ya know, like the movie) and basically you started on a bus that was going down a never-ending highway. There were other cars and trucks on the highway too. If you hit the road, it bounced you back. If you hit the front of a car, it would smash you forward. The gameplay worked awesome. In both Duel and FFA, it was immensely rewarding feeling the moving road mechanic. If you fell, you always had a chance of landing on a car, or hitting the front of one. But as often as not, you wouldn't make it and would tumble down the highway to your death. You just never knew, and some skill helped. It was dynamic and lively. Pity we never finished it.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I would definetly have played "Speed". Sounds like fun. From what you describe it sounds similar to the "plane-room" on innercity. That room was hidden behind a picture in a wall and you had to pass a few challenges before you could enter it. The room itself consisted of a couple of planes the players would stand on and the earth beneath them (as well as the sky above them I think) was turning, creating the impression the planes flew at a high velocity. Whenever you jumped down a trigger would push you far behind the planes and you would be teleported out of the room again. Has always been fun hopping from plane to plane, but I think the room was rather small and people barely fought in it. Imagining that on a "bigger scale" with cars, a road and enough room to duel or to have some FFA sound like a lot of fun. I wish you had finished it. :D

And great idea with the contest. I can imagine working with a group of people who share the same passion for mapping is a special experience for everyone involved. ;)
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Interesting to know the details! I'm just impressed/amazed that this whole thing happened and turned out so well. Most team efforts I've encountered (or participated in) flatline within a couple of weeks.

"Speed" sounded great, too bad it wasn't finished. Maybe the source files still are intact?
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

"Speed" sounded great, too bad it wasn't finished. Maybe the source files still are intact?
They are. Just saved on a disc somewhere in a giant archive of work discs - which are all poorly indexed for non-client stuff. I'm starting to feel the urge to dust off JK2 again though...
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

ShroomDuck wrote:I'm starting to feel the urge to dust off JK2 again though...
As Shia LaBeouf would say: Just... Do it! :3
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

A whole lotta work went into this map pack. It was fun to pass along maps back an forth to one another. Although, (what it boils down to) pretending to hold a contest with the intention of just making a map pack is somewhat disconcerning. Bad Shroomy.

(I would say more about it but I won't. I do however feel a bit deceived).
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Well, maybe I will say just a little more so people reading the above post will understand a bit more.

From the sounds of Shrooms reply, his main goal was to make a map pack with as many mappers possible. The contest was the venue to get people involved. If he announced he was just going to make a map pack and wanted others to join, I still would have joined the project but I may have never put in a lot of work into making Khomm or Khomm probably would have never happened. I had other projects I was working on at the time but the Contest was to make something completely new and I had somewhat recently read the Jedi Academy trilogy of books in which the "starkiller" was introduced and I think it was Kip Durron (found on Khomm by Luke Skywalker) who piloted the star killer to destroy imperial settlements. I set a priority for Khomm for the contest skipping out on work I could have done on other maps or other things I could have done in RL since there was a time limit to get the map done for the contest. More than likely, I would not have created any of the Khomm maps if I had known the contest was a sham and the real reason behind it was to make a map pack and get new guys involved. If Shroom had announced he was wanting to make a map pack and not a contest with the same idea in mind, I still think as many people who were involved would have still helped out.

Khomm, the map I made for the contest, I do not regret making the map as I have used quite a few elements of it for the map I am currently working on. Khomm was an okay map but it wasn't all that much fun. It looked pretty good but had it's share of flaws. I learned a lot making it and I have no regrets there either but I probably would have preferred to have put some more time into Bespin Ruins or into another project which was placed on the back burner because of the contest.

Overall, I think it was a good experience for all of those involved. By saying "Bad Shroomy" in the previous post, I do so with affection. It's probable that him making a contest to make a map pack to get the most out of it that he could did work better than just wanting to make a collaborative map pack. As I said before, Khomm may have never happened if it hadn't been for the "fake" contest and, who is to know what other maps in the pack may not have been made or, as much attention might not have been given to them if there wasn't a "contest" in place to get people to put in their best effort. I at least know why there were "officially" 3 winners announced for the contest, it wasn't a "tie" at all. It was a predetermined outcome depending on the people involved with the "contest".

Yes, I feel a little deceived, I think others involved with the contest may have felt the same. I do not feel it was the best decision on Shroom's part, but I don't think it was the worst. The map pack may have been better off as it was set up as a contest rather than just a collaborative effort to make a map pack.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Yeah, I think the 'contest' part of it added something special and unique, and probably creates more hype as well. I can understand it was a bit weird for some to see it transform into a map pack/no actual contest, but on the other hand there's something humble about it as well.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

nice to meet you here lil_binger

i understand your concerns but from an users perspective the whole mappack is just awesome and the most exciting thing ever happened to jk2.
I spent a whole day walking around and looking at all the maps after the v1 release. Felt like a new game somehow
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

ouned wrote:nice to meet you here lil_binger

i understand your concerns but from an users perspective the whole mappack is just awesome and the most exciting thing ever happened to jk2.
I spent a whole day walking around and looking at all the maps after the v1 release. Felt like a new game somehow
I can only agree to ouned. It was exciting to try all those maps and they have been played again and again and again... Still bringing excitement to those who play them after all those years. Just reading this topic I really want to play on those maps with lots of people. Maybe we can do that on dark sometime or put up a jk2.info map server/event on a set date and time. :D
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I have tried to get the map pack source files but Shroom didn't have the final release maps. I think it was Kai staigon who had them and I tried to contact him without any luck. I thought about making a JA version of the map pack, just to make some stuff work in JA without bugs.

Don't get me wrong in any way. I think it was a good experience for everyone. I think the end product turned out great and do I think it could have been better without a predetermined outcome, maybe not. We all put our best effort into making them. The pack was huge and awesome. Working with everyone making the pack was awesome. I came up with the idea for a Duel_Caribbean (kinda turns that area into a king of the hill area) and really like the map Shroom created. It was announced that there were 3 winners as a tie with myself being one of the "winners". There was no announcement to scrap the contest and just make a map pack. Shroom stated once the contest was concluded, we would all have a place in his new map pack and asked we all help out where we can. I'm not trying to downplay the map pack at all, just a little shocked over the admission of the predetermination / deception of the contest.

and hello back at ya ouned :) Sorry I have yet to post an introduction thread. I just signed up last night :P
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

@lil_binger - Sorry for the late reply; found this by Googling my name! :D

So I totally understand how you might feel deceived, but I likely didn't explain myself well enough in this thread. The contest started as a means to help give exposure to relatively unknown mappers - to use my 'fame' to expose new but talented mappers to a wider audience. I was taken aback by how fantastic you all were, and how collaborative a process it started to become, and decided at that point that I'd never be able to pick a single winner.

Just to break down my quote:
"I pretended to hold a contest, but intended that all would be winners, and we'd work together on a single map to release in a pack along with the original entries."

- The "I pretended to hold a contest" was a jest at myself
- "intended that all would be winners" - after I came to that conclusion (well into the contest)
- "along with the original entries." shows you at what time things changed from contest to 'everyone is a winner'

It happened organically, and I've always learned to push harder when a creative opportunity arises. You were never fooled into making Khomm (one of the most beautiful maps ever made for jk2), but rather the contest evolved after maps (like Khomm) blew me away with how freakin' good they were. You have the innovation of the Haunted House, the amazing detail and beautiful brush work in Puerto de Drahcir, crazy fun maps like pinworld, and the unstoppable madness of Kai pushing all the boundries. It literally was "fuck - these are all winners; let's put everything in a map pack with some other awesome stuff".

I was playing JK2 the other day and some guy was showing his friend around the map pack, including Bespin Ruins - man I love that map! :D
JaKaL

Post by JaKaL »

Heya Duckie! :) I was wondering if you knew if there is an archive somewhere where I can download some of my old maps and models I made.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Jakal, take a look here: http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)