Demo database

Making Jedi Knight II movies, machinima or frag compilations? Or you know of some good ones that deserve some more daylight? Post them here!
Tom Arrow

Demo database

Post by Tom Arrow »

Is there such a thing as a demo database for JK2 demos where players can upload cool demos and others can use them for movies and maybe hit a checkbox for 'used in video' so that one can directly see how often it has been used, some basic rating and voting etc?

I realize you can download some demos at http://www.igmdb.org/?page=search&game_ ... er&start=2 but it's not exactly extensive.

If there is no such thing and if there is interest, I'd be willing to program such a thing if someone provides a host and database (PHP & MySQL). Motivated purely by my greed for some sweet demos for movies, of course.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Demo database

Post by Boothand »

Sounds like a very cool thing, if maybe also a bit overkill for this community. What kind of demos are you interested in? I have a lot of FF craziness.
Miso

Post by Miso »

I have a lot of 1.04 demos of 1on1 saber duels and some old ESL TFFA stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=515
Jj.miso
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

I see how it can sound like overkill, but it's work for maybe a few hours at most. (If I don't invest too much time into a fancy design and stuff)

What am I looking for? Depends on the project of course.

Right now I guess I just want what anyone wants: Hardcore 1.02 stuff (maybe 1.04 is also cool, but I think the gameplay is terrible and I love dbs and dfa stuff etc). Fast, surprising. You know, the kind of demo you get once in a while where you think "holy shit I just really did that". (Me not, as I am a noob, but you get my point). A few nice fast-paced CTF chases couldn't hurt either for the sake of the rhythm.

A bit like in the two Colossus movies if you have seen them (the one with the Propane Nightmare soundtrack and the other one).

Oh and one type of demo I am interested in (although it's a very vague notion) is "sneaky" kills. What do I mean by that? I don't have a fucking clue. But if you have something that qualifies as "sneaky" for whatever intuitive reason, I'll take it.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Tom Arrow wrote:I see how it can sound like overkill, but it's work for maybe a few hours at most. (If I don't invest too much time into a fancy design and stuff)
Just use Bootstrap ;)
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

I fuckin hate Bootstrap! Such an ugly piece of cr*p! :)

Yeah so anyway, if someone here is willing to host it, just send me a quick note and I'll get going.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Tom Arrow wrote:I fuckin hate Bootstrap! Such an ugly piece of cr*p! :)

Yeah so anyway, if someone here is willing to host it, just send me a quick note and I'll get going.
Even Bootstrap 4? :P Also, you can just use the grid system and then style it yourself? :)

You could use XAMP while developing it, and then maybe someone wouldn't mind hosting it afterwards? :)
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

I know, I know. I did a project with Bootstrap. It was a pain in the ass. You can get good results with it, but it's only worth putting in all the work for the customization and learning the framework 'rules' when its a large project. Even then I think you're probably quicker to come up with your own shit. And for a small thing like this, it's a total overkill and would only slow me down, having to read the documentation again.

Well, I was never a big friend of frameworks anyway.

Yeah, I would use XAMPP either way. No need to develop it online. But if no one is willing to host it, there's no reason to create it. Unless maybe that person needs to see 'something real' to be motivated. Yeah ... maybe I'll just create it anyway and then we'll see.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)