1.04 Sabering fragmovie proposition

Making Jedi Knight II movies, machinima or frag compilations? Or you know of some good ones that deserve some more daylight? Post them here!
fau
Staff

1.04 Sabering fragmovie proposition

Post by fau »

1.04 sabering scene I remember was always mostly about competition and I think it's a shame it has so little to show for it. We can blame the fact that it's golden age ended before youtube era and before advanced movie making jk2 tools were available. The only semi-decent video featuring competitive aspect of the game I can think of is Label This fragmovie (content is good, presentation not so much).

I've followed few bigger competitive games for years and I've seen so much innovation and great ideas when it comes to video-making, mainly in quake3 based/inspired games, that they really made me hungry to see something as good or better in my favourite JK2. I really think it (a video) has potential to reach wider audience: the fact that id tech 3 aged rather well, very unique visuals and who doesn't love lightsabers? With jomme and jk2 source code everything is possible. I've seen videos from games I had never played that reached to me and other gamers only thanks to their creator's brilliancy and I want to aim no lower than this.

I'm looking for someone with a vision and technical skills needed to make this a reality.

I offer:
  • Over 200 duel and tffa demos with timestamps and some with thumbnails like here to speed up the work.
  • Help with jomme, rendering, demos, effects, encoding – all technical aspects. I can modify the engine, change game ui, smoothen demos if needed – nothing is impossible.
  • Ideas and judgement. As I wrote, I've been watching fragmovies from various games for years and I acquired some taste and experience.
  • Complete insight into the game, it's mechanics, history and community. I don't expect you to know anything about it, you need to be good at video editing.
  • If we can accomplish the goal I draw here, I'll do my best to promote it on general gaming-video sites.
I expect:
  • First and foremost – an idea that will make it game-defining to veterans, envy-inducing to JKA players and inspiring to gamers outside of Jedi Knight community. It doesn't necessarily need to be original, but it must work. I grew really bored of classic fragmovie formula with no twist over the years, but if you think it will work, try changing my mind. I'm leaning towards characteristic and original production. I know it's a high order, but I'd rather wait than release another boring compilation of frags.
  • Flawless video, sound and editing quality. Soundtrack free to distribute. Attention to detail and professional look. No 20 fps fraps machinima cilps, no "let the bodies hit the floor".
  • I don't care about presenting intricacies of skill, being faithful to "player experience" or exposing myself as a player. I want something that will capture a soul of the game and will be a joy to watch to anyone.
I know the community is small as never right now so I'm considering reaching out to movie makers from other games too with this.

If you'd like to help with demos, go ahead, send them to me (with timestamps). More diversity can only help. One way or another I have enough to complete it already.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: 1.04 Sabering fragmovie proposition

Post by Boothand »

++.

Some time ago I would love to take on this, but I don't have the dedication and would end up too thin stretched after day 1.
I don't know about any others that have used joMME for their fragmovies, but daimuro and Chazz might be able to produce something (also I've showed Chazz joMME basics).

The only chance for me to be involved would be if I could hammer out something in ONE sitting, like I did with this movie (though I stayed up all night): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCTtzzNXdEk
That is probably the 'style' I'm best at - slow motion, close up, sometimes silly. Not sure where this hits your scale in terms of whether it 'works' for its purpose, quality etc.. anyway! I'm very busy most days, and I've failed at attempting a 'community' movie before on own initiative (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=135#p686), so I'm probably not very fit for this :mrgreen:
fau
Staff

Re: 1.04 Sabering fragmovie proposition

Post by fau »

I'm thinking more of a project that would take weeks/months to finish. At least I know this is how long fragmovies I'm referring to required. Thanks anyway, if you want to make something short, you're welcome to use my demos. I'll probably go out with this proposition to jkhub and further to some quake forums, but I'd prefer to work with someone from jk2 community obviously.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)