Boothand's FF video 2016

Making Jedi Knight II movies, machinima or frag compilations? Or you know of some good ones that deserve some more daylight? Post them here!
Boothand
Administrator

Boothand's FF video 2016

Post by Boothand »

I recommend watching on youtube for the highest quality and experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCTtzzNXdEk

Hi!
I pulled together a little video from some old and unused demos, mostly to make something with a massive/crazy production :P I hope you guys like what you see. I'm very pleased with it myself.

I decided to post this on my non-JK2 specific Youtube channel, see if it generates any interest apart from my 3 subscribers who I all know personally! Check it out if you think you'd enjoy listening to me and Skype-mates laugh too much to speak properly.

A huge thanks to ent for joMME, the mod I used to make this!
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Boothand's FF video 2016

Post by Daggolin »

Looks nice, especially with the footage of you at the beginning. xD
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Cool, I like the idea. I'm bored to death of regular fragmovie clips.

Looking at the youtube video, it is too dark. If your jomme doesn't support setting gamma by r_gamma, set r_ignorehwgamma to -1 when recording (only works in jomme, in jk2mv using gamma method that works should do the trick). It's very important, otherwise you get terrible colors due to wrong linear/gamma space texture conversion q3 engine does when hwgamma is not available.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

It's too dark in Google Chrome, I'm disappointed by this. What happened was that I needed to make it that dark in Premiere to make it look normal on my desktop after it was exported. So that worked, it looks correct. But for some reason it looks the way it should in Mozilla Firefox, and looks dark in the way it was in Premiere in Chrome. Doesn't make sense to me.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Afaik youtube does some color correction if it believes video is too dark or has other issues. Perhaps it got smarter and does this color correction on the user-side instead of reencoding whole video. It could be that browser's html5 video player does this color correction on it's own too. Anyway the problem would go away if it wasn't too dark in the first place. Or maybe premiere setsb some "brightness value" in video codec that isn't supported by all decoders. Try different codec.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I removed the second adjustment layer, so now it looks a bit washed out in Firefox and correct in Chrome, but better than too dark. Updated the link on top!
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Looks better now.
Still, looks to me as if you rendered without working hardware gamma. You should never do this or you will get wrong colors/brightness.
For now I'd recommend to always record with r_ignorehwgamma set to -1. Effects may be different to what you see on screen, grab screenshot and compare. Only this setting guarantees correct color space conversion. Also it looks like rendering with r_overbright 0 is broken in jomme, I'll see into fixing it.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Ok, thanks for the tips! Suppose it will be a while until next time, but I'll keep this in mind.
jozuf

Post by jozuf »

Best facecam in a JK2 movie so far! gz
shadow

Post by shadow »

fau wrote:Cool, I like the idea. I'm bored to death of regular fragmovie clips.

Looking at the youtube video, it is too dark. If your jomme doesn't support setting gamma by r_gamma, set r_ignorehwgamma to -1 when recording (only works in jomme, in jk2mv using gamma method that works should do the trick). It's very important, otherwise you get terrible colors due to wrong linear/gamma space texture conversion q3 engine does when hwgamma is not available.
Its possible to use jomme on jk2mv???? So i can record demos playing on jk2mv and use it with jomme????
I tried it before, but didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong :S.

Nice video btw!
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Sure, demos recorded by jk2mv are the same as original jk2mp.exe and can be played by jomme, if this is what you mean.
shadow

Post by shadow »

fau wrote:Sure, demos recorded by jk2mv are the same as original jk2mp.exe and can be played by jomme, if this is what you mean.
Yes, that's what I mean. SO I will try again with another demo. Thx u!
Miso

Post by Miso »

Awesome video, great song choice as well ^^
The intro made me laugh quite a bit as well :p
Jj.miso
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Thanks! Glad I could make you laugh ^^
I think the music fit the slow motion footage really well too, glad you liked that.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

shadow wrote:
fau wrote:Cool, I like the idea. I'm bored to death of regular fragmovie clips.

Its possible to use jomme on jk2mv???? So i can record demos playing on jk2mv and use it with jomme????
I tried it before, but didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong :S.

Nice video btw!
Early versions of jk2mv had issues properly naming the demo (.dm_15 for 1.02/1.03 and .dm_16 for 1.04). However that issue should be resolved by now and just as fau said, jk2mv demos are the same as jk2mp and they should work with jomme (at least they did for me last time I touched any of the demo code).
Valar

Post by Valar »

nice =^.^=
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

honestly, this is the coolest jk2 video ive seen in years. extremely good job on the camera boothand :)
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Thanks!
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)