Player Model Causes Access Violation

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
Tsubasa

Player Model Causes Access Violation

Post by Tsubasa »

https://jkhub.org/files/file/2224-swtor-revan/

I was working on recoloring the JKA model linked above for personal use, but every time I try to examine it in-game, it doesn't take long for the game to crash due to an "Access Violation." These crashes seem to occur when the model is used by a (re)spawning entity or incinerated after/while being fragged; crashes also occur immediately after loading a new map while the model is in use.

I know that most of these crashes have occurred when I had "Force Player Models" enabled; map-switching wasn't an issue when I was the only entity using the model, and one of my first couple of crashes triggered the moment I toggled the setting. Other player models, for both JK2 and JKA, have been tested with Force Player Models enabled, but none so far have reproduced the crash.

I have a bunch of crash logs for portable Win-x64 clients, builds 1.4.1 and 1.4-54. The maps I have crashed on were official; crashes occurred both when connected to a dedicated server and when running a server with the client.

Edit: Tried it in both normal JK2 and JKA; JK2 crashes as described above, but JKA seems to keep running without issue.

Edit 2: It looks to me like a lot of my crashes occur when the model's LOD is supposed to change; at least one of the torso surfaces disappears after some distance and an Access Violation occurs when I try to close that distance. The disappearing torso can also be observed in JKA but does not cause a crash there.
fau
Staff

Re: Player Model Causes Access Violation

Post by fau »

Hi,
I've made a workaround for this issue in latest jk2mv (only in daily builds, will be released in 1.5 whenever it comes out).

Arguably it is caused by some errors in the model, I was told it has some more problems that show up in JKA too. If someone needs any more details on this model issue, contact me here or on discord. I've never made any models so I don't know if this was caused by modder error or bugs in tools used to make it.

Thanks for reporting.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)