Curious about something.

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
MeX0100

Curious about something.

Post by MeX0100 »

Hello there!

So I asked around in game about this addon and seemed no one could even really remember it or have even heard of it. So for you old sweats out there, do any of you remember a kill tracker called Jam's Kill Tracker. If you don't, it had great commands like !music and such where you could listen to your music and keep track of your kills, the software of which is still around. (Google it.)

However, this is where the problem is, for some reason the software isn't reading the jk2mvmp.exe. Now, I naturally assumed it was because of a different name and I was right. I loaded the default jkmp up and ran a test server and it worked perfectly. So then that got me thinking to try it on Jedi Academy and when I was able to rename the program (eternaljk) into jamp.exe I assumed this would work, but no the program did nothing.

Now I know it could be the program itself and if it is, it's a shame as I am not sure where the author has gone. But if anything could be done to try and get the program (JKMV) to work with it and let it integrate that would be marvellous!

This may not even belong here, so feel free to move it!
ouned
Administrator

Re: Curious about something.

Post by ouned »

JK2MV has significant changes on how the in-game console works, if I remember correctly, the killtracker uses a win32 function to read the window contents. This window doesn't even exist anymore in JK2MV.

These killtrackers and their spam messages are annoying anyway, I'm gald it doesn't work anymore :P
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Many servers offer kill- and general scoretrackers for anyone who log in on their server, with support for various gametypes, duels, and more + most keyboards nowadays allow you to change music with the press of a button, so overall I personally don't see the need for something like Jam's Killtracker :) And as ouned mentioned, it just filled the chat with annoying messages, so I don't really miss those trackers myself either :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

They used to be quite useful for minimizing the game and to let others know about your taste of music. I would actually feel very nostalgic if I met someone using those again.

However at this point it doesn't really make sense to try to implement win32 specific work arounds in jk2mv to support such old tools. So I doubt anyone is going to do anything about this. But maybe some other kind of media-integration could be added to a mod or some engine fork. Though I doubt it's really worth the effort.
Jamtrix

Post by Jamtrix »

Hey,

After reading a book about the rise of Instagram, I reminisced about the ‘little kill tracker’ that I wrote a long time ago and was fairly well used by the JK2 community. Absolutely loved that game.

Written in Visual Basic 6 when I was about 14 (?) after my Dad taught me how to write code for the first time, as now a software engineer for a living, I would be ashamed to inspect - ha! Also, how bad the skins in version one and two probably look now (very Winamp!).

It is really warming to see this thread and hear that someone still remembers it! Devastated that it no longer works (but not surprised). As much as I would love to support it again, I am not sure I have the source code any more although could be on a hard drive in the garage.

Thanks for the memories MeX0100!

All the best,
James (A.K.A JAM, A.A.K.A SpIdErMaN).
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Welcome to the forums!
Back in the days you couldn't go a day without seeing the default messages of JAM's KillTracker. ^^
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Hey Jamtrix! I reaaaally miss Jam's kill tracker. I don't think it's many months since I saw Shax using it, although not with JK2mv. It's too bad it won't work anymore.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)