Network cvars (Clientside/Serverside/Source code)

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
YY-James

Network cvars (Clientside/Serverside/Source code)

Post by YY-James »

Would you mind adjusting/unlocking the network cvars of Jk2? I'm sure that a sv_maxrate of 90000 (Source code limit) is ancient compared to the world of today.

Cvars:
Rate
Snaps(?)
Cl_maxpackets
And any other network cvars that fall in this category.

Rate:
High ping and a client rate of 25000 is super slow. The game was built for very old modems. Let's calculate this.
A rate of 90000 bytes per second = 0.72 mbps. That means a full server will give 23 mbps of data, that's not much. And this is the game code's limit. Even on low ping, it would be fair for those with a higher latency to have more data flowing to them, because their network can take it, and not suffer from having such low network settings, it'll cause unwanted results.

Let's compare this to Counter-Strike Global Offensive (CS:GO)'s rate limit for example.

Rate 786432 or about 6.2 mbps. Just about anyone can handle this, we got Gigabit networks for homes now, which is 1000mbps. It's not going to use all of that, it shouldn't make much of a impact on streaming or anything at all really. As a game player, increasing the rate made a difference, I don't get net chokes, my shots don't give me crap saying that I missed when I didn't, and I still have plenty of network power to spare.

Cl_maxpackets:
Can you change the maximum value of this to 1000 (Quake 3's fps limit), since this is related to com_maxfps?

Serverside:
It's a Gigabit network if not more handling just a small amount of traffic from a dedicated source. Talk about wasting bandwidth. :neutral_face:
fau
Staff

Re: Network cvars (Clientside/Serverside/Source code)

Post by fau »

I don't think higher max rate is necessary for jk2. When you're hiting rate limit your lagometer turns red iirc. Tell me if it happens to you. Increasing cl_maxpackets limit is a slightly controversial topic, some believe it gives unfair advantage (especially in jka). I personally don't see an issue, it lets you have slightly better latency but saber position is updated every server frame anyway.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

lagometer-rate.png
lagometer-rate.png (6.65 KiB) Viewed 34975 times
Lower line depicts snapshots that client received from server. Each point on X axis represents one snapshot. When snapshot was rate limited (not all entities were updated), it's drawn as yellow. Let me know if this happens to you on a real server with rate 90000. Better, record a demo and send it to me. May be possible eg on a 32-player guns ctf server when there is really a lot going on, but I've never had any problems with it.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

You are making some very unrealistic assumptions James. Not every server is running from a GBit connection. There is servers on just 100 MBit connections or less.

For home connections 100 MBit is the maximum anyone I know has. And those who do are just a few. Many people I know have only got 16 MBit, some only have 3 MBit. And there is still people running around jk2 with such small connections.

Talking about GBit home connections is pretty unrealistic, at least in Germany. Maybe in a few years.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

isn't the rate basically only hit with UDP download running anyway?
I don't think I have ever seen the jk2 client transferring even 1mbit/s (except for http downloads ofc)
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)