Possible bug - Screenshots, Fullscreen, windowed.

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
NanoVed

Possible bug - Screenshots, Fullscreen, windowed.

Post by NanoVed »

There could be a possible bug in the Gamma / brightness system behind JK2MV. This Problem does not exist when running the windows version of JK2 on Linux trough Wine which could mean 3 things ; A SDL misconfiguration, A bug in JK2MV, or an incompatibility with some Linux graphics drivers.

Screenshot A : Windowed Mode. game looks almost correct (ignore the screen tearing. its the screenshooter activating)

Screenshot B : What JK2MV drags into its screenshot Buffer / FIle is realy dark with color faded wall and floor textures.

Screenshot C : When switched to fullscreen eveything has this fading mist like look and feel. This is a simulated image.

1) In full screen the textures all become faded in color and detail, the Chat and text do not follow the same Gamma rules as the 3D renders.

2) In windowed mode the game looks exactly like it should.

3) The screenshots generated by JK2MV again have their own unique brightness / contrast.

4) Running the windows version of the original JK2 on Linux trough Wine runs as on windows, instant correct brightness. This should mean that it is not a graphics driver bug.

5) The brightness sliders are useless both in gamma mode 1 and 2.

6) The Gamma settings used trough the console only do what has been described in this post as seen in the images.

This is the JK2MV GIT version pulled from the last updated (2016) Master. The same problems exist in the older snapshot but different.
fau
Staff

Re: Possible bug - Screenshots, Fullscreen, windowed.

Post by fau »

When you report a bug in git version, please provide specific commit you're testing. There was a gamma-related bug in new sdl code that was fixed yesterday afternoon by ouned. Check latest version and write if it's still present.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Yeah, that was one problem. I downloaded the master as a zip somewhere around last Saturday. The zip does not contain a Tag, or main Git version in its filename. I looked around for a number before i posted this thread.

I will check a new Git version soon.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Is there a reason why you run jk2mv through wine? There is native jk2mv versions for linux and mac. Do those cause issues, too?
If you actually clone/pull from git it's a lot easier to figure out what version you are using. If you just want to try the latest code changes and don't change anything yourself you could use the automated builds from https://jk2mv.org/builds. They're automatically generated from the commits pushed to github.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

I have never even once written that i run jk2MV trough wine. Please read what people post instead of guessing what the post was about.

i compared JK2MV which is running native on linux as compiled from a git version to running the original jk2 executable trough Wine. I never even once ran JK2MV on windows or Wine.

I still need to download and compile a newer version from the GIT repo. fau claims it contains new gamma related fixes.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

The first post made it seem like you did, and you posted this in the JK2MV forum :)

- Anyway, as mentioned the issue should be fixed in the latest Git version of JK2MV, which runs native on Linux :)
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

The first screenshot is nothing more than windowed mode on Debian with a windows style window manager theme. All the screenshots i posted here are on a Debian based system. I only wrote that i compared it to running the original retail exe of jk2 on wine. The JK2MV already ran on Linux systems before the new Git version...

Anyways, i still need to download and compile a new git version. :ugeek:
Last edited by NanoVed on 27 May 2016, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Compiled JK2MV from the latest master on (27 may 2016), i download it as a zip from github which means no git revision nr in the title :

1) GammaMethod 1, r_gamma 1

2) GammaMethod 1, r_gamma 0

3) GammaMethod 2, r_gamma 1

notice A : The textures are suffering from severe degradation in colors. In both modes the sky suffers the hardest degradation.

notice B ; The screenshots are being saved exactly as the frames are rendered to the fullscreen mode. (thats a small fix then.)

screenshots come from a Debian wheezy based system.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Looks like very high intensity. Are you sure r_intensity cvar is set to 1?
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

wtf.

in case fau's suggestion doesnt work:
- GPU name + driver (mesa? binary driver?)
- delete your jk2mvglobal.cfg to reset all settings
- turn off texture compression which sometimes acts weird with mesa drivers: r_ext_compress_textures

also: why are you still on wheezy? everything is so outdated there
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

NanoVed wrote:I have never even once written that i run jk2MV trough wine.
Must've misread your post in the middle of the night, no idea why. Sorry for that. ;)
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

ouned wrote:wtf.

in case fau's suggestion doesnt work:
- GPU name + driver (mesa? binary driver?)
- delete your jk2mvglobal.cfg to reset all settings
- turn off texture compression which sometimes acts weird with mesa drivers: r_ext_compress_textures

also: why are you still on wheezy? everything is so outdated there
- radeon 9100 igp, libgl1-mesa-dri 8.0.5-4, libdrm-radeon1 2.4.40-1~deb7u2, libdrm2-2.4.40-1-deb7u2
- i will test the removal of the jk2mvglobal.cfg later
- I will test the r_ext_compress_textures later.

Also :
I have a few problems with newer kernels and linux systems when it comes to a really badly supported PCI WIFI card. Newer kernels cant run any drivers.

But as i noted, through wine the original jk2 exe runs fine and that is using the same mesa as anything else.
i can also run ioquake3 based games without gamma / brightness problems.
Last edited by NanoVed on 31 May 2016, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

This seems to look a lot better than anything JK2MV did before :

My previous Debian install imploded without any rhyme or reason (network spikes, crashing xorg, etc...) so it provided a reason to install Jessie and test if i could get this old machine into a functional state. Lucky me they do not use a 4.0 kernel yet for which i cant get WIFI drivers. :o

Compiled with the External Libraries for :
- LibJpeg
- LibPNG

Compiled with the Internal Libraries for :
- LibCurl

This might narrow the possible cause of the bugs on Wheezy based systems down to :
- SDL
- A call to the graphics system which does not happen with JK2 trough wine.

Edit :
corrected a wrong cut n paste.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

please test 1.1-128-g239acc2 if you didn't already.
did you already test with a clean config as mentioned before?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Again, did you check your r_intensity cvar?
In case it's set to 1, please attach your jk2mv video initialization log (where it lists opengl extensions etc).
Player

Post by Player »

Last edited by Player on 27 Aug 2016, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Player

Post by Player »

Last edited by Player on 27 Aug 2016, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

This explains so much of his OS/hardware/something related bugs, Player. Thanks for showing up. :D It's good someone knows how gamma should look.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Funny post about my screenshot :
The only non original textures in my last screenshot are the black floor, and the white floor. everything else is the direct and pure result of how the Gamma corrected rendering is darkening the colors while also providing higher contrast. The only texture mod i run is for Bespin-Streets and only changes the Floor and absolutely irrelevant small bits and pieces.
The first batch of screenshots in the opening post : Everything is 100% original except the Saber beam texture.
Second batch of screenshots in a follow-up post : small changes. Dont matter as all the textures where screwed.
The Third batch of Screenshots in a follow-up post : has nothing to do with the sky, gamma, and overal colorspace.
The final screenshot posted in a follow-up-post : Absolutely 100% original.
Repeating myself :
This JK2MV has been compiled from the master which contains all the Gamma related fixes. I posted the date on which i downloaded a new copy of the Git master. When downloading a zipped version of the master, without the Git command line tool, one has no git version number in the filename of the zip.

The requested information :

Code: Select all

JK2MV: vUNDEFINED linux-i386 May 31 2016
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/zzzOriginal_Trilogy_Saber_Sounds.pk3 (30 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/ffa_naboocity1.pk3 (273 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/FFA_Helms_Deep.pk3 (20 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/ffa_helmsdeep.pk3 (23 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/eximod.pk3 (96 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/Exi.pk3 (43 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/DS-Online.pk3 (19 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/DS-Online Hiltpack.pk3 (353 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/DS-Online Clientside v1.3.pk3 (7 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/chat_icon.pk3 (3 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/assetsmv.pk3 (46 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/assets5.pk3 (4 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/assets2.pk3 (289 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/assets1.pk3 (8011 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base/assets0.pk3 (6674 files)
/home/replaced/Files/JediK2Linux/base

----------------------
15893 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
execing jk2mvconfig.cfg
execing jk2mvglobal.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
SDL using driver "x11"
Initializing display
Display aspect: 1.250
...setting mode 4: 800 600
Using 24 color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.
Available modes: '1280x1024 640x480 800x600 832x624 1024x768 1152x864 1280x960 1280x800 1280x768 848x480 1024x576 720x400'
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI R200 (RS300 5834) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc available
...GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc available
...no tc preference specified
.....using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
...using GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic available
...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
...using GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
...GL_NV_register_combiners not found
...GL_ARB_fragment_program not found
Initializing Shaders
About the CFG and JK2MV settings :
I deleted every single cfg and JK2MV settings file and reconfigured with the in-game settings menu system.

Confirmation :

It looks a lot better but it is not always correct. Windowed mode still looks 100% correct while fullscreen remains a bit different. And looking at the screenshot makes me believe that it is more like Windowed mode than Fullscreen mode. (Confusing) :roll:

I can totally live with the current rendering results, as i noticed a day or two ago : something actually did improve after the recent changes in the source-code.

I will try an external screenshot tool for the fullscreen mode,When i think about it. :lol:

BTW : thanks for JK2MV in the first place. (to not sound like a fool demanding a fix).
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Latest commit i was reffering too was pushed 2 days ago. (Even though the commit itself is older)
You should really atleast try re-downloading it to see whether anything changed.

you could also try "r_gammamethod 0"

from the log we can see that you arent using latest version with clean config files :P
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

I deleted all the configs. Booted the game. Set it to 800x600 32bit, and then restarted, yes. i call that a clean and logical config for an actual real-life situation and test. Desktop resolution is not realistic for this IGP either (lol). I downloaded the source for what i am using only a day or two ago. 3 max.

As i noted, something improved after the previous re-download.

I use the Github "download zip" function as i dont want to install the Git tool : https://github.com/mvdevs/jk2mv/archive/master.zip

BTW, the master overview notes that the last update to the source was 6 days ago.

I will post here whenever i re-download and compile another JK2MV
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

NanoVed wrote:BTW, the master overview notes that the last update to the source was 6 days ago.
ouned wrote:Latest commit i was reffering too was pushed 2 days ago. (Even though the commit itself is older)
the commit was made 6 days ago, but pushed to mvdevs/jk2mv just two days ago.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Oh. I guess my mind was not into reading forum posts today. Then I also wonder why there seem to be fixed issues in the first place, ... (-.-)

Nothing has changed on my end. this still applies :
NanoVed wrote:
I will post here whenever i re-download and compile another JK2MV
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

I made two commits and you are most likely in the middle of both of them
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

The first run made after compiling a new JK2VM today. We (reporter and programmers :D ) might be one step closer to figuring this out :

Test Run A :
Engine boots in windowed mode.
Gamma / brightness is correct, these correct settings remain active when switching to fullscreen mode.
dont mind the clock, its wrong. :roll:

Test Run B :
Engine boots directly into Fullscreen mode : no switching between windowed mode and fullscreen mode.
When switching the bugged fullscreen mode to windowed mode it retains the busted gamma / brightness.
Screenshot made with an external tool.

JK2MV: NanoVed-UNDEFINED linux-i386 Jun  1 2016
----- R_Init -----
SDL using driver "x11"
Initializing display
Display aspect: 1.250
...setting mode 4: 800 600
Using 24 color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.
Available modes: '1280x1024 640x480 800x600 832x624 1024x768 1152x864 1280x960 1280x800 1280x768 848x480 1024x576 720x400'
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI R200 (RS300 5834) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc available
...GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc available
...no tc preference specified
.....using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
...using GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic available
...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
...using GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
...GL_NV_register_combiners not found
...GL_ARB_fragment_program not found
Initializing Shaders

Also : The code base is not Warning free anymore (minor warnings).

/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp: In function ‘void G2_Generate_Matrix(const model_t*, boneInfo_v&, int, const float*, int, Eorientations, Eorientations, Eorientations)’:
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:216:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (up)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:239:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (left)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:262:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (forward)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:311:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (forward)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:334:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (left)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/ghoul2/G2_bones.cpp:357:10: warning: enumeration value ‘ORIGIN’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (up)

/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/client/FxScheduler.cpp: In member function ‘void CFxScheduler::PlayEffect(int, CFxBoltInterface*)’:
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/client/FxScheduler.cpp:1241:19: warning: the address of ‘origin’ will always evaluate as ‘true’ [-Waddress]
       if ( origin 

/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/client/cl_main.cpp: In function ‘void CL_ServerStatusResponse(netadr_t, msg_t*)’:
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/client/cl_main.cpp:3442:10: warning: enumeration value ‘PROTOCOL_UNDEF’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
   switch (prot)
          ^
/home/Name_Removed/Files/SourceCode/Downloads/jk2mv-master/src/client/cl_main.cpp:3469:11: warning: enumeration value ‘PROTOCOL_UNDEF’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
    switch ( prot )
           ^
note : Before anyone asks : this is on Debian Jessie. I am just using a windows styled theme for XFCE4 and a few icons.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)