Possible bug - Screenshots, Fullscreen, windowed.

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
fau
Staff

Re: Possible bug - Screenshots, Fullscreen, windowed.

Post by fau »

You menu screenshots look like typical r_overbrightbits issue. Gamma correction doesn't work, but overbrightbits causes intensity reduction. Try r_gammamethod 1, r_gammamethod 2 and r_gammamethod 0 (vid_restart after change).

By the looks of your video init log you'r hardware doesn't support neither r_gammamethod 1 nor 2. This means you may need to use 0 and disable r_overbrightbits.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Interesting. I have been googling and i found Quake 3 startup logs where the engine states : GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits. Maybe there is a way to make the JK2 engine detect such systems.

I am going to test your recommendation on another time Fau. If that would be the problem then i wonder why nobody else thought of that. :shock:
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

You video init log states:

Code: Select all

...GL_ARB_fragment_program not found
This causes r_gammamethod 2 to not work and it's rather unusual in 2016. You could try upgrading your mesa but I guess R200 has been minimally maintained for years so I wouldn't count on that. Or try switching between gallium/classic driver, if you know how on your distro.

Still the game should work fine, just without proper gamma correction/overbright. Another problem is that SDL on modern Linux reports incorrectly that r_gammamethod 1 works. Probably you'll need to stick to r_gammamethod 0.
NanoVed

Post by NanoVed »

Ok thank you. I will try this soon. When i encountered that line my line of thought began to drift to missing features but i never even once thought of overbrightbits. :oops: The firmware the system is using is for a R300 IGP but the MESA system shares its name with the R200. But yes, it is old and linux is beginning to work against old hardware.

However, even though a lot of people have current day hardware i would say that it is still too soon to think that all the old hardware has been replaced. I have encountered many forums where people claim to own pre 2009 hardware. most bypass their crappy IGP (if pressent) with a PCIe GFX card though.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)