Suggestion : Port a better Map compiler.

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
NanoVed

Suggestion : Port a better Map compiler.

Post by NanoVed »

Jk2 has rather crude and ugly looking fixed shadows and lighting while Quake3 maps are able to have much smoother, realistic, better (shadow, lighting) maps because of improved map compilers. Would it not be possible to alter a better map compiler to produce JK2 map formats, while also adjusting the needed constants and variables in the JK2MV port to allow higher quality Shadow and lighting maps ?

I know that it is possible to get jk2 maps into ioquake3 rather fast by ignoring (not correcting) the colors, shadow maps, and more... which makes me believe that the team behind JK2MV should be able to do all of that.

However, The bulk of the work might be in the Map decompiler if one would want to rebuild the original Multiplayer maps with much higher quality static shadows and lighting.
ouned
Administrator

Re: Suggestion : Port a better Map compiler.

Post by ouned »

Can you provide some information about those compilers? I never heard of that.
Sounds cool though
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Compiler is one thing, but there is no real decompiler (real i.e. when you compile it back, you get original map) There are quite a few "decompiled" maps and they have lots of issues, doubt anyone would enjoy fixing them all. On the other hand you don't need recompiled maps, just lightmaps if I'm correct.

Not to mention that we have no legal rights do decompile maps and couldn't distribute them officially.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

but its still interesting for new maps
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

I think he just meant advancements in GTK Radiant and all mappers are free to use new versions. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never used these tools.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

People use whatever version of GTKRadiant and q3map2 they want. I've not heard of anything else used for ioq3, but I am not really in the ioq3 community myself.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

there are some improvements in SmileTheory's OpenGL 2 ioq3 renderer but nothing too exciting in my opinion
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)