Static URL for the latest snapshot

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
C4N

Static URL for the latest snapshot

Post by C4N »

I have a simple request to make life easier, I'm working on an automated server auto-updater, It is almost done but the thing is that i need to do a bit of crawling to the https://jk2mv.org/builds/ and search for the first "linux-amd64.deb" to get the latest build URL.

This is something I don't like to do because if for some reason you change the builds website structure this automated auto-updater will be probably broken, so, my idea is to make an static URL as a mirror for the latest snapshot build, something like https://jk2mv.org/builds/latest-snapsho ... -amd64.deb.

With that I can avoid to crawl the site and just need to wget that url.
Steam - RSI

You may found me somewhere with this nicknames:
(Cjs|Canseco|Ms)
Khan Katarn
Canseco.
C4N
fau
Staff

Re: Static URL for the latest snapshot

Post by fau »

I wouldn't recommend automating updates this much. What if something something changes in jk2mv and all your servers go down without you even noticing? You should test it first and then automate distributing and installing the package from your own machine. It's safer too.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Please dont use these builds without manually testing
They may always break
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

There is a reason why we don't "promote" them on the front page or anywhere near it. We mention the automated builds for testing purposes and very urgent security issues on the forum.

But if we stumble on important security issues or crash bugs that harm the community (like the turretcrash two weeks ago) we try to release a "hotfix", based on the latest release, without the current development stuff.

And using development builds can be a potential security issue. I think it was before the automated builds (and maybe even before moving to GitHub), but when we adjusted the autodownload system (whitelist, blacklist and reflist handling) we introduced a bug, that rendered the whitelist useless. The result was that a testserver leaked some "private pk3s", that were not meant to be given out. Such a thing could happen any time when using development builds. So please don't use them in productive environments. ;)
C4N

Post by C4N »

Understood :geek:

Automatic updates out
Steam - RSI

You may found me somewhere with this nicknames:
(Cjs|Canseco|Ms)
Khan Katarn
Canseco.
C4N
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)