Character set support

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
C4N

Character set support

Post by C4N »

It would be possible to improve the character set on the engine? One of the little things spanish players hated was the lack of support for the special characters like eñe and vocals with any accentuation (áéíóú).

If you make jk2mv utf-8 (or even unicode for those chinesse players) compatible, you will make some people like me very happy.
Steam - RSI

You may found me somewhere with this nicknames:
(Cjs|Canseco|Ms)
Khan Katarn
Canseco.
C4N
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Character set support

Post by Boothand »

I'm sure it's possible somehow. The VvV mod had smileys/small images in the chat if you wrote certain things. Would be nice with some æøåäö.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Extended ASCII should be possible, not sure if it would require special mod though. Gonna look into it. It has following characters:
charsgrid_hack_mipmap2.png
charsgrid_hack_mipmap2.png (26.96 KiB) Viewed 30881 times
You should be happy with it. Where is ąćęłśżź? :-(
Full unicode support would be a big undertaking and would require changing characteristic jk2 fonts to something else.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Jk2 filters chars in the protocol
No idea why
We can look up the reason and if there is none, delete the restriction
Utf8 is too much work
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I have taken a short look at that before 1.0, but it wasn't something that looked like a five minutes job. Didn't look any further, as we had other priorities back the, but I think it was a filter in the MSG_ functions, along with some other issues. Not sure though. But I would like jk2mv to support the additional characters (after all the local translations can use the additional characters in the console, I remember seeing characters like "ß" in the german messages, just not in colors in some cases).
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)