Creating Server crash

Report and discuss bugs in JK2MV here or suggest changes.
ManiaC

Creating Server crash

Post by ManiaC »

so i said it a few times over the last 4 5 months but nobody is really carring =)..so if i want to creat a server for testing stuff my jk2mv exe is crashing all the time..if i join with /map bla bla it works
just for the ppl they work on it, it doesn't bothered..just wanted to say =)
Attachments
bug.jpg
bug.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 59588 times
shot0064.jpg
shot0064.jpg (592.47 KiB) Viewed 59588 times
ouned
Administrator

Re: Creating Server crash

Post by ouned »

pls post the values of:
/path
/mv_serverversion
/JK2MV

also, try (temporarily) removing all other mods and test again.
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

ManiaC wrote:..if i join with /map bla bla it works
When you're trying to open a server, does it happen just with custom maps or also with default maps (e.g. ffa_bespin)?
As ouned already said, try to clean your jk2 and try it again (backup your configs/mods/etc.).
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

NOTE: i recommend u to create in a separate file, as dedicated server.

1) this is what i have to launch my server from the mod folder (in a bat file)

Code: Select all

cd ..
jk2mvded-win-x86.exe +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +set vm_ui 2 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28070 +set mv_httpdownloads 1 +set mv_serverversion 1.03 +set fs_game MyModFolder +exec MyCustomConfig.cfg
2) if u dont want use any modm just do this: (in a bat file, in gamedata folder, and a custom config file in base folder)

jk2mvded-win-x86.exe +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +set vm_ui 2 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28070 +set mv_httpdownloads 1 +set mv_serverversion 1.03 +set fs_game MyModFolder +exec MyCustomConfig.cfg
3) so, if u dont have any config file

jk2mvded-win-x86.exe +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +set vm_ui 2 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28070 +set mv_httpdownloads 1 +set mv_serverversion 1.03 +set fs_game MyModFolder +map ffa_bespin
PD: edit the serverversion and the httpdownload thing, if u want it local,change dedicated to 1
PD: if the option 3 works fine and the rest 2 and 1 crashes, there is another problem when u load with a config file, check that)
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

i think some old pk3 caused the problem cuz i reinstalled jk2 and jk2mv and now it is working again =) but thanks all
Tsubasa

Post by Tsubasa »

Sorry about the necro-bump; I just recently started using JK2MV, encountered the symptoms ManiaC posted, and I believe I narrowed the issue down a little. It seems JK2MV doesn't like it when 'g_maxForceRank' and/or the player's Force configuration are set higher than 7 (7 being Jedi Master). My friends like to play with a rank of 200 because it gives us way more than enough points to unlock every power, but, if I don't first load a server using a normal setting, clicking 'Create a Server' while the Force rank is 200 immediately causes JK2MV to crash.

I was running JK2 1.04 before finding MV and I never had this particular problem before.

In case this helps, I'm running the Windows x86 Installer version of 1.1 on Windows 10 x64.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

that's not a jk2mv issue. g_maxForceRank can't be set to 200. (or more specifically shouldn't)
setting it to anything over 7 causes it to read from random memory locations which may or may not be accessible.
That it works in "old" jk2 doesn't mean it's the right thing to do :P

Use a mod for this purpose.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Original ui code is full of overflow issues, wrong array bounds etc. I fixed a few already, but not gonna give them a special attention unless I run into them myself. Here is an example: https://github.com/aufau/jk2sdk-gpl/com ... 5199a22c29. Will send it to jk2mv when I'm done with other things. For now I recommend cvar_restart if entering a menu makes your game segfault.

@ouned: I believe this is a jk2mv issue, because what if a mod sets it to 200 and then you force your own ui code in the creteserver menu? This is basically what happened in a commit above.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

fau wrote:I believe this is a jk2mv issue, because what if a mod sets it to 200 and then you force your own ui code in the creteserver menu? This is basically what happened in a commit above.
well, okey, it's not directly related then :P
What I mean is that g_maxforcerank must be fixed in the game module to not accept > 7 (or accept them but also implement it correctly), which is out of scope for jk2mv.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

ouned wrote:
fau wrote:I believe this is a jk2mv issue, because what if a mod sets it to 200 and then you force your own ui code in the creteserver menu? This is basically what happened in a commit above.
well, okey, it's not directly related then :P
What I mean is that g_maxforcerank must be fixed in the game module to not accept > 7 (or accept them but also implement it correctly), which is out of scope for jk2mv.
Setting a cvar to anything shouldn't crash client code. That's a security issue in my book.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

oh the client is crashing? eh okey. Looks like I got that wrong. :D
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Hmm not sure about original issue. I guessed from your comments that it was similar to a bug I cited in the linked commit.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

https://github.com/mvdevs/jk2mv/issues/61

thanks to Tsubasa for reporting. Sry for getting you wrong at first :P
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)