Nt fix

General discussion and help regarding JK2MV.
hannibal

Nt fix

Post by hannibal »

Hey there, recently there were some hacks in the ctf scene. Fudasys decided to bann all mods made by giz on his server (the main/only ctf server). I really like the strafe lines and speedometer from the vVv mod, but since it cant be used anymore i wanted to go back to NTfix. The problem however is that i can't get any versions to work clientside.. The latest nt version i have is 7.
So is there anyone with a solution how to make (a more recently) version of nt work?
Any help is appreciated :)
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Nt fix

Post by Boothand »

How can a clientside be banned? Just curious. The vvv mod isn't known to do anything that resembles cheating.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:How can a clientside be banned? Just curious.
exactly like jk2MF did, blocking clientside modifications (qvm's) :lol:
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Tr!Force wrote:
Boothand wrote:How can a clientside be banned? Just curious.
exactly like jk2MF did, blocking clientside modifications (qvm's) :lol:
You'd have to modify JK2MV then, as it doesn't have any sort of anti cheat / anti-clientside feature, at least not to my knowledge.
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

well KaMod and vVv mod work, but nt had some complications with jk2MV as far as i know..
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

JK2MV can't be made compatible with NT.
NT changes the enigine at runtime with hackish tricks which don't work in case anything has changed inside it.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Last I tried you could get a limited functionality NT ClientSide running with jk2mv. Most features of NT didn't work though.

What features from NT and VvV are you missing? Maybe jk2mv in combination with another cgame mod can achieve similar. I am pretty sure we have enough modders around here to think about alternative clients that are floating around the community.

Boothand wrote:How can a clientside be banned? Just curious. The vvv mod isn't known to do anything that resembles cheating.
Well, the old versions didn't, but there is newer versions floating around with lots of cheats the majority of people haven't seen yet or even knew were possible.

Banning a clientside usually relies on a clientside doing somethings "unique" so the server can identify them. Many clientsides send their version to the server in case the server offers special features that only work if you have that specific clientside. Or the client does something else regulary that matches the behaviour of the client one wants to block. There is many different ways you could attempt to identify specific clientsides with. And once you identified users with that clientside you can simply kick/ban them. Those filters relie on client mods somehow revealing their existence. Clientsides written with the intention of being undetectable serverside usually stay undetected. What jk2mF did back in the days was working with checksums/hashes of cgame.qvms in a closed source environment and every player needed jk2mF to play on anticheat servers. In the current open source environment, with the majority of players (at least the players I know) using jk2mV such a system is no longer possible.

It's either open source engine updates, where anyone can see what the developers are doing and use the source for own purposes or you give up all the engine updates and security and entrust some anticheat developer to not do anything bad with the clientside.
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

Daggolin wrote:Last I tried you could get a limited functionality NT ClientSide running with jk2mv. Most features of NT didn't work though.

What features from NT and VvV are you missing? Maybe jk2mv in combination with another cgame mod can achieve similar. I am pretty sure we have enough modders around here to think about alternative clients that are floating around the community.
There were a couple of nice features in the vVv mod
- speed meter in units/kmh
- next to the flag symbol above your hud the names of flag carries are displayed + hp of your capper
- strafe lines
- clock
- transparent console + mousewheel scrolling in console
- other colors

thats pretty much it as far as i used the mod. It had several more commands but i don't know alot about them
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Mousewheel scrolling is in jk2mv, all the rest can be done in a regular qvm mod.

PS where was clock located exactly? Can't decide where to put it in my mod.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

fau wrote:Mousewheel scrolling is in jk2mv, all the rest can be done in a regular qvm mod.

I believe it's around the same area as in my clientside :)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Most mods have the clock on the right side of the screen, somewhere above the weapon.
Miso

Post by Miso »

Kameleon wrote:
fau wrote:Mousewheel scrolling is in jk2mv, all the rest can be done in a regular qvm mod.

pretty sure it's bottom left
Jj.miso
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Miso wrote:
Kameleon wrote:

pretty sure it's bottom left
No, above the lagometer ^_^
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)