Possibility for JK3?

General discussion and help regarding JK2MV.
Axis

Possibility for JK3?

Post by Axis »

Greetings!

I would like to begin by expressing my most sincere thanks! I have left the JK2 community a long time ago (when JK3 came out). But was still exposed to the big lines and the fractioned communities around the various versions.

I just recently found out about MVMP for JK2 and I believe it is a wonderful idea. It quickly transformed my (now Steam) version into an all version that makes it easy and efficient for me to join any server. It is such an advantage, thank you.

My inquiry (as you might have guessed), concerns the possibility of creating a similar tool, but for JK3? There is a similar fraction of communities between base V1.0 and updated V1.01. A similar tool for JK3 would be, in my eyes, incredibly useful to consolidating the little that is left of our communities.

Do you think this is something that could be possible?

Help us ouned one, you're our only hope.
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Possibility for JK3?

Post by Daggolin »

I have not looked at the differences between JKA 1.0 and 1.01 so I don't really know, would have to look into that sometime. But there is a bigger project for JKA called "OpenJK" (https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK) - you should ask them about it.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Thanks for the nice words but neither me nor Daggolin are interested in JKA.

I played jka 1.0 some years ago for like 2 months because there were unmodded, weapon enabled and active servers around.

The people you need are the JACoders
There is a irc channel on which most of them hang around.
But I can already say: they most likely wont do it.

The situation in jk2 is much more extreme then it is in jka. 1.02 is in fact more popular then 1.04.

If it was some easy thing you can do in a day Id just do it.
But it actually is a lot of work. Too much.
Axis

Post by Axis »

Thank you very much for the quick replies. I was hoping it would be easier as well.

The idea was already proposed for OpenJK (and part of the roadmap). But they are working on an entire game instead of a small launcher. Perhaps one day their ultimate goal (JK2 and JK3, all versions into 1) could become true.

Until then, great work for the JK2 aspect of it, and have an excellent day :)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

I tried to do something like that few years ago, i ported to jk3 my gameplay changer i created for jk2 "/gameplay <version 1.02, 1.03, 1.04>" ... And i started to add 1.0 & 1.01 in jk3.. But i never finished because, exactly how ouned says, is a lot of work... Something like that need a team or more than 3 coders i think... Only 1 guy working on that will get his brain exploded...
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Actually what you wanted to do is something totally different, Triforce. You wanted to port the jk2 gameplay to jka. What Axis wants it to have a universal jedi knight binary that allows you to connect to original servers of all versions, just like jk2mv does for jk2.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Daggolin wrote:Actually what you wanted to do is something totally different, Triforce. You wanted to port the jk2 gameplay to jka. What Axis wants it to have a universal jedi knight binary that allows you to connect to original servers of all versions, just like jk2mv does for jk2.
oh ok, i understand now... well... in that case... looking at the jk3 changelog, i think there is no much differences between 1.0 and 1.01 (in the gameplay), the most are bug/security fixes... is not the same in the jk2 case, there are a lot of different things between 1.02/3/4

anyways, is a huge work i think, but. nothing is impossible in the jk's world
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

That would be kool, one exe to play them all!!! (lotr ref) Pick from JO or JA in any shape or form :) How cool would that be? As revolutionary as JK2mv to pick from any JKO version which I think is quite awesome!
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

JO and JA are a lot more different than the different jk2 versions. So you will have to stick with jk2mv for jk2 and OpenJK for jka.
NubSmoo

Post by NubSmoo »

Hey axis :P id like this too, since i been learning programmig might attempt it myself but may take awhile
{Nub} Ownz Your Face!
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Actually openJK contains jk2 SP version + JK3 SP & MP... I think they will not work for a JK2 MP version
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

its not worth the work and openjk is already there for jka. Most jk2 players aren't interested in jka
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)