racing pack2

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
Acrobat

racing pack2

Post by Acrobat »

Was thinking about releasing another race pack with goal of about 20 maps.

Right now I have as of unreleased race maps that I've made
acrobat-blackhallways3
acrobat-blackhallways4
acrobat-blackhallways5
r7-xilitol (this one didn't make it into first pack in time)

Miso has also made or converted
miso_slopes_force
miso_slopes_yslar
r7-inka

idk if anyone else would be interested in making a race map or 2, but miso and I plan to make a few more with goal approx 20 maps. These maps are not meant to be super well done but just something fun to race in. Most of them take anywhere from 30 min or 4-5 hours at most to make. Let me know if anyone wants to help.

Also ideally the maps would be compatible with jka as well, which would basically involve throwing it into the jka base and testing it and if any textures are missing just change it. My first map pack was compatible for both games so if anyone wants to play them on jk3 race servers they can.
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: racing pack2

Post by Daggolin »

That sounds really cool.
Thanks for making that effort. :D
kenny

Post by kenny »

Love to help out as we discussed. Sounds great, i can even try make one of those cpm maps. Otherwise add the grip jumping as a race version would be really cool!
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

A grip-race sounds fun, but the fact that it's a team-effort makes it rather "incompatible" to current concepts. The current race configurations make people non-solid for each other, with force powers mostly disabled and the timers only count for one person. But if you have some nice suggestions on how to properly design a grip-race it could be worth making some adjustments to the jumpserver. If we got a "concept" before an actual map we could maybe think of ways to make it possible for multiple teams to compete at the same time without interfering with each other (maybe by marking some entities somehow and placing each team in some kind of custom dimension with copies of them)?
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

Ya would require second name no? like Kenny-Acrobat and both would be named that maybe and logged in at once? Then have like 8 dimensions idk guess that would be complicated.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Just use a private dimension with your partner? :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Well, obviously the current racing concept and the gripping are "conflicting". The JumpServer prevents people from interacting with other players by making them non-solid. Gripping needs players to be solid. However if we made players solid and expected them to go into private dimensions the way we currently do on ffa they could also meet in groups of three or four (whatever advantage that would bring) to gain advantages.

Here is what I had in mind:
I don't think that people need to login at the same time, but I think people should maybe spawn in a "locked room", where everyone is solid. Here they can team up either by challenging each other to a duel (showing a team-invitaion instead of the regular duel-message) or using a custom /teamup command. Once the partner has accepted the invitation both players get transfered into a "private racing dimension", with copies of all the relevant doors/triggers, where the way to the first challenge is not locked and they can enter the course, starting their timer once the first of them leaves the spawn area, stopping their time when both got inside the finish trigger.

That concept would allow teams competing at the same time without too much effort for players to "get started". Adjusting what the server sends to the existing catz_clientside it should be possible to have clients shows "timer: grip-race (with PartnerName)" with the same time. The clientside should not need any modifications.

The serverside and the map however should be aware of this new "team racing". I would have to adjust the timers to work for two players and follow the concept described above, but that should be doable. However it will need support of the map to know what entities to duplicate for private dimensions, as those should be marked by the map somehow (maybe some key/value pair to identify them within the mod). After all every team needs own doors (or whatever blocks the way). However such a map should probably not use area portal doors to seal off areas, as the area portals can only be opened/closeded globally and not per-team, possibly lagging other teams when one team suceeds. If a locked door needs to be opened by the team that door should only protect a teleporter hidden behind it (that way players get teleported into the next area when they suceed, but no area portals get opened that could lag other teams).

That are just my quick thoughts on it, without looking at the code (been ages since I touched any of that racing stuff). How would you imagine an easy-to-use system for players? Mabye we can think of a good concept together?
Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

anyways you could white list the following

acrobat-blackhallways3
acrobat-blackhallways4
acrobat-blackhallways5
r7-xilitol
miso_slopes_force
miso_slopes_yslar
r7-inka

And also....

b-mountain. map I just made

http://www.filedropper.com/b-mountain_1
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)