WIP : Binger and Friends : Map / Mod Pack

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
lil_binger

WIP : Binger and Friends : Map / Mod Pack

Post by lil_binger »

So I've been thinking about showing some ctf'ers some love with a map pack mostly intended for the ctf crowd. I've got a few WIP's going. 3 ctf maps and a new / old Golf map with a possibily of another or 2. I might even add a v2 for a previously released map but nothing official there currently.

If anyone is interested in joining in and adding a work of their own or simply just helping with what I have started would be great. It doesn't have to be something new. If any mappers out there like Hexes or someone wants to make a ctf map from an old map they have or a version 2 of a ctf map that would be fine also. It also doesn't have to be a piece of art. I'm open to anything. New or old mapper. If you've never made a map before but would like to I could help kick start something. I'd like to see a Hexes Getto ctf map :P Maps with other gametypes are fine too but I would like to focus the attention for ctf. So if you have a ffa map and would like to make a ctf map from it etc. That is strongly encouraged. Both can be released in the pack even if it's a v2 of a previously released map.

I am also thinking anyone who is into making player models could add to the pie. It doesn't have to be something new. It could just be an improved version of the model or a fix even.

Anything else I'm not thinking of just holler. I'm open for suggestions.

I'm also might be looking for help from someone who can test a beta and get back to me within 24 to 48 hours. Mainly a ctf pro or 2 who can help us stay on track testing beta maps. I know of at least one or 2 people I could ask, I am just looking for any volunteers that may give us another perspective. Of course we can set up an event to test stable versions of the maps when possible. But getting jumps just right and keeping a flow to the map for an active, fast paced strategic ctf map.

Maps I have I am working on.

1 - Vader's Golfinader - "Ya know Vader, he's got to have everything so, he built a beefed up version of ffa_bespin built in the middle of the Death Star and of course, he had the areas surrounding the fighting arena transformed to accommodate his favorite new game, Thermal Golf."
--This map is basically a mix of bespin and the death star and golf. An old map, Bespin traps, I made as a duel map years ago, When I came back to editing maps again, this map was the first one I started to work on. After the Temple of Mechanism, I decided to tone the area down a bit. I liked the main area but I used a couple areas from it in the temple of mechanism. I also wanted to make another golf map. So, I decided to combine the 2. So this golf map will double as a medium size ffa map. I plan on having some screen shots soon. I've got a couple more holes to build first.

--There are 3 main areas - middle (bespin traps *extended* area), right - golf holes 1-9 (death star hangar at holes 4, 5 and 6), left - golf holes 10-18 (bespin type pad built inside a death star somehow). So, it's kinda like bespin but different with golf and the death star? I have a compiled version and I kinda like it so far. Once I make a couple more holes I'll have a 2/3 finished map so the ffa and first nine holes will roughly be complete. The back 9 shouldn't take long once I get started. I'm trying to use the same technique I used making the first golf map but applying a death star look to them rather than a forest, or rocky look.

2 - CTF_Mechtemple - Temple of Mechanism themed ctf map based roughly on ctf_yavin.
--I have 2 bases mostly made connected in the middle I need to connect some corridors but most of the map is built and tested some. Some areas need better lighting and such but so far so good.

3 - Streaming Ctf Map - Not yet named.
I've started streaming some and I decided it would be best to start out streaming making a new ctf map mostly from scratch. I like the design and it's been quick work so I'd like to get this finished also and plan on streaming more today to start work on corridors to bases from the middle.

4 - CTF_yavin_ruins (or a version or 2 of ctf_yavin. A serverside ctf_yavin is also an option)
This one map is the one I would think is the most open to collaboration and there can be work done on more than one version of it. No matter if u have experience with mapping, with minimal knowledge anyone could help point out ideas and stuff by just using screenshots and windows paint. I can do the work etc or someone else who is helping could.

I've been talking with Bootand about a ctf map idea he is working on, so at least we will be +1 on the maps I currently have in progress with his map. Any others are welcome to help out in any way. It doesn't have to be on the scale of the Shroomduck Inc. map pack but I'm open to any suggestions or help.

Another reason I am starting this thread is to also combine many WIP threads into one so when there is progress on each map I will post them here instead of in multiple threads. If enough are interested in helping, I'll work on trying to get a closed part to the forum to report progress and stuff before publically updating info about the map pack.
Last edited by lil_binger on 29 Dec 2015, 00:41, edited 2 times in total.
Tr!Force

Re: WIP : CTF focused map pack for JK2!

Post by Tr!Force »

great map pack! i want support u on the development, ive made few maps for my old clan, so i like the map editing, i have a little experience with gtk radiant, specially because ive made a single player maps support for my mod. (and im a graphic designer, i like this work)

how u want work? or how have you worked before? we should make a repository, so we can have a time-line with versions, backups, and user integration to participate. (exactly like jk2mv or another code-projects uploaded on github)
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

If you want, I can send i a link for the ctf_yavin_ruins map. Or if you have an idea for something that would be cool in ctf, you could just make an object with gtk or something and I could place it somewhere. It's up to you how much you would like to contribute.

Anything thing you could add or do would be awesome while I develop the other ctf map I have. You don't have to worry about leak testing or compiling or anything. You could just add in a few ideas and throw the map back to me after some edits.

I can see what you did and add to it or add some functionality to it or something. Or if u have an idea for how something could work even if it's something small like 2 platforms and a gap that you need a certain amount of speed to cross the gap, I can take that distance or object and place it somewhere as a technical piece to jump on somewhere in any map. There is just a couple bugs I need to adjust in the ctf yavin ruins I have. One brush needs to be remade and another brush needs to be made detail. So not much is needed to send you a map file to take a look at.

I'll make something available to download for anyone to edit or test soon.

The map doesn't necessarily have to be worked on by one person at a time, as long as maybe the same areas isn't worked on at the same time. I'll try to post something soon to download. And I will work on a beta map pack with compiled current versions. The only map that needs a little work to compile is golfanader. The other maps I believe are leak tested and compiled somewhat recently.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I would also like to note. I do need to work out some paths etc. for textures and stuff. I've got some already worked out. Right now some of the maps currently rely on textures from another map.

The golfinader map has already under gone a texture and shader separation. This includes shaders from the bespin map and golf amd other textures from mech temple including death star textures including the shaders needed for the ones which are complex shaders for lighting etc. One thing I need to do is separate the others then make one dedicated pk3 for all of the map. Then with the map file and one pk3, all the texture you might need would be already separated from relying on other maps. Any textures added not included in the pk3 can be incorportaed easily. Doing so will make it easier for a JA conversion for a cross platform release.

Another map someone could help with could be ctf_mechtemple. I've got a big start on it. It needs some corridors connected and a few finishing touches. It's not a problem if I finish it. It has gotten a little complicated working on vis to keep areas open but have a good amount of detail to make everything look interesting.

If someone has an idea for a death star golf hole or something. I've still got at least 9 more holes to go. If someone wants to have fun making something that would be cool too.

So basically I will need to work on combining everything first, then add a link to download for anyone interested. This will also eliminate a bunch of confusion and make it easier for everyone. Anyone contributing anything not included is fine. It can be updated without too much effort to include textures needed for it. There will be plenty of textures etc to work with with the various looks to each map. I will get to work on something and will update soon.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

lil_binger wrote:If you want, I can send i a link for the ctf_yavin_ruins map. Or if you have an idea for something that would be cool in ctf, you could just make an object with gtk or something and I could place it somewhere. It's up to you how much you would like to contribute.
sure! send me via PM
lil_binger wrote: Anything thing you could add or do would be awesome while I develop the other ctf map I have. You don't have to worry about leak testing or compiling or anything. You could just add in a few ideas and throw the map back to me after some edits.
anyways i want do test before send u :D as far i remember, to compile the "final release" with lights is (final) BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter -super 2 ?
lil_binger wrote: I can see what you did and add to it or add some functionality to it or something. Or if u have an idea for how something could work even if it's something small like 2 platforms and a gap that you need a certain amount of speed to cross the gap, I can take that distance or object and place it somewhere as a technical piece to jump on somewhere in any map. There is just a couple bugs I need to adjust in the ctf yavin ruins I have. One brush needs to be remade and another brush needs to be made detail. So not much is needed to send you a map file to take a look at.

I'll make something available to download for anyone to edit or test soon.
if i have a problem with something i will let know u
lil_binger wrote: The map doesn't necessarily have to be worked on by one person at a time, as long as maybe the same areas isn't worked on at the same time. I'll try to post something soon to download. And I will work on a beta map pack with compiled current versions. The only map that needs a little work to compile is golfanader. The other maps I believe are leak tested and compiled somewhat recently.

u really should know the git workflows :) so u will have a total control of users versions and have it a "master" version of the map, u can allow user request to be added into the final map, etc .... (i can teach u if u want)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

We can work out some details soon.

I know of 2 others interested, one of them being Boothand. I have seen some ideas of his and gave him some recommendations I think he likes and has mentioned he is interested in contributing to the map pack.

It's probably be best to have a master. I haven't officially talked to anyone yet about making a private forum for those interested. The forum can be set up here I think with private access to those interested I think. I am not sure if that control is accessible here as I have not asked yet. This is something we did for the Shroomduck Map pack. We can have a pvt forum here hopefully to keep track of master copies and who is working on them etc. And can report progress in the WIP thread once we fell like letting the public in on how everything is turning out.

I need to separate ctf_mechtemple and ctf_yavin_ruins textures and stuff, get one pk3 packed up and include some master files to work with. Doing this may take me a couple hours or so and I haven't started yet. Textures from mechtemple need to be separated anyway because the ones for mechtempl basically do not cause damage and that's not necessarily the best thing for a no force ctf match. I

Or if there is a different or better way to keep track of it using a different location like a sort of github or something, I've never messed with that kind of file sharing so if someone want to set something up like that it would be most welcome.
Last edited by lil_binger on 21 Dec 2015, 18:40, edited 4 times in total.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

lil_binger wrote:We can work out some details soon.

I know of 2 others interested, one of them being Boothand. I have seen some ideas of his and gave him some recommendations I think he likes and has mentioned he is interested in contributing to the map pack.

It's probably be best to have a master. I haven't officially talked to anyone yet about making a private forum for those interested. The forum can be set up here I think with private access to those interested I think. I am not sure if that control is accessable here as I have not asked yet. This is somethign we did for the Shroomduck Map pack. We can have a pvt forum here hopefully to keep track of master copies and who is working on them etc. And can report progress in the WIP thread once we fell like letting the public in on how everything is turning out.

I need to separate ctf_mechtemple and ctf_yavin_ruins textures and stuff, get one pk3 packed up and include some master files to work with. Doing this may take me a couple hours or so and I haven't started yet. Textures from mech temple need to be separated anyway because the ones for mechtempl basically do not cause damage and that's not necessarily the best thing for a no force ctf match. I
nice to see boothand here too ;) so, ure right, we should have project-forums here in jk2mv with the projects (like jkhub) i recommend have 1 forum per project and subforums (inside, a subforum can be a private, but you need some subforums public to let the other people see how the project evolves).

i summon @ouned and @Daggolin for that (because i want it for my jkplus mod project too :lol: )
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Sub-Forums for clans are already decided on and we're just waiting for a phpBB update to fix a bug regarding permissions, before officially introducing them. Sub-Forums for mods is not completly decided on (whether we want to "offer" it or not), but one mod project already got "approval" by the jk2.info staff so I think the jk2.info staff is going to agree on a section for your project lil_binger. But that's up to the jk2.info staff. ;)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I hope so Dagg. I believe the idea is worthy :P

It's just getting started, I've got some ground work I need to do. There's nothing anyone has to do exactly right now but work on their own project however they seem fit. This of course won't be an over-night project so no rush. The "ground work" may take me a day or 2 actually. I'd like to test a ctf_yavin_ruins master and have compilable and testable versions of the work I have so far with a little more added work. I'll try to have 2 yavin's available shortly. One could be worked on as a server side version and another can be for yavin_ruins. I think ctf_yavin_ruins would be the best name to describe and go with since many know of a version of bespin I made called bespin_ruins.

I'm basically just wanting to make stable versions of everything to start with then, we can run rampant for a while and fix stuff later to get another stable version of the maps ready for a public test. I mainly only have my own work atm. I know a couple people are working on something they are interested in contributing to the pack. And this was just officially thought of today. So once we all get a few things worked out, I am sure we can get a map pack to test before too long. Areas don't have to be complete for a beta, it's just depends on when everyone agrees to get something ready.

I would even look into working out a hexes ghetto ctf map myself given permiission and we could possibly collaborate on that. (that's just a thought. At first I'd like to know if he is interested but I haven't asked. I've got a few things to do first then I may get around to it before too long.)

So, more to come on this map pack development. Anyone else interested in joining in the fun, just hollar.
ozzeh

Post by ozzeh »

lil_binger, you could try asking some people in the jk2 thugs group on FB for ideas or testing of CTF maps. There are a lot of 1.02 CTF players in the group.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Definitly ozzeh. I know a few peeps who know a few peeps and I know you guys too :)

Current progress for the golf map.

It's definitly different. I kinda like it though because of it's uniqueness. Cramming bespin, the death star and golf together into one map has been interesting. I've got a little left to edit but not much. Just some lighting and a push target or 2. My computer will not handle capturing video very well or I would post a video.

Here are a few screenshots. WIP began as Bespin Arena on JKhub.org and now is redesigned yet again. I'm not 100% on the name for this one, it's had a few over the years.
Next picture is a jump gap and the paths cross in mid air, streamed last night building it.
Hole #1 on the left, Rough hole #2 on the right.
Next one is a rough hole #2
Next isa pic of holes 4,5 and 6 in a Death Star type hangar, leaving areas open for ffa and trying to keep the 2 separate just a bit. The last golf map was a little more built for just golf. This one I wanted to kind of take shape like ffa_bespin by having a middle and 2 sides. A death star hangar I thought would fit in perfect with a "pad" type area on the other side to fill in the other 2 areas vs the middle bespin area.
There's another area I've shown before with a rotating JK2 symbol. Currently that area is duplicated so there are 2 rotating symbols. I will change one to be different by making a new different symbol or something.

Bespin Traps was a little small. The middle area is basically Bespin traps but extended. Now there is a separation between the front and the middle to try to give room for 2 ff fights at the same time in the middle area including 2 added traps compared to the original. I've worked it a bit over time and after the recent addition of golf a few tweaks need to be done but I do like it so far. It's a wierd mix all in one map but it's kinda cool. I just need to tweak a little more and then you guys can tell me what you think.
ozzeh

Post by ozzeh »

Well, it definitely looks interesting from the screenshots. I would like to test it out whenever you finish your tweaks.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Tomorrow is Christmas and all, I won't be here but I'll be taking my computer with me, gone to visit the folks.

Tell me what you guys think of the screenshots above.

Should I keep going with it?

Should holes 10-18 look like bespin instead of the death star?

I am thinking that might be the way I work it with something already made for the map previously. I could have a full 18 holes by the first of the year.

Let me know what ya think.

I might have something tomorrow if I can work on it just a little bit this evening. Mostly little stuff. Nothing like the streaming vids were showing. I've also got a trigger to start stuff that's not working right yet. It won't take long to fix. I plan on making a test map with something in it to cycle on and off automatically. I'll fix it there then fix the one in the map. If I can, I'll stream some if I can find a mic hidden somewhere. I might have one in storage at my folks place.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

The screenshots look really nice, but as I am not a CTF player myself I can't say anything about gameplay. I guess we would have to try it ingame. Very interesting. I am especially looking forward to walk around the hangar, as very familiar, yet unknown place. :D
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

The screen shots are for a golf / ffa map. It's not built for ctf exactly. I might see what I can do about making it ctf. Lots of stuff closely packed together and fps is good so I can connect one room or another. Right now it's just a rough cut for the most part. Once I get a stable version which will be soon. I'll take some notes and have another look at it then start touching up some spots.

As for ctf specific maps for the pack. I have 3 specific ctf maps in the works. I know of one other made by someone else. I have also been given the go ahead to take a look at Hexes Ghetto and see if I can take an objective approach making a ctf map work using parts of Hexes ghetto. I won't be just placing flags in the ghetto, I'm thinking of creating something unique and possibly even using some roof tops or something.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I agree, the screenshots look really nice! Both the Bespin Arena ones and the deathstar stuff. Keep it up!
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Golf Update.

The area is no longer "located" in the Death Star, it's located in an Imperial Star Destroyer that was renovated. I might add a Star Destroyer control tower to be seen from the middle Bespin area. (And maybe, just maybe, I might add on to the original idea and add in a little more than just 3 areas). So it could evolve a little further.

I've been polishing golf a little bit to get it ready for a test. I'm compiling then taking notes on stuff to do while in game. Then going back to GTK to fix stuff. It may take a few compiles to get a few things just right. It's taking me a little longer than I wanted it too but it will be worth the wait.

I made a change recently. The middle trap in the bespin area is no longer a trap that kills you. Currently, it is now a loop. So basically, you could jump into it and afk during a match or jump in and try to kill each other somehow. I might try to add more functionality to it. I might could make a triggerable force field around the loop so the fights close by would be unaffected and you would be unaffected in the tube. Press use, and the force field turns off and you can enter the next match maybe. In order to use the loop the trap force fields need to be off. I will separate the middle force fields for the loop so they can be used independently.

Pack update:

Not much currently. The golf map is taking priority but will soon give way to work on other stuff and have some other stuff ready. Next 2 maps I want to prepare is Yavin Ruins and a server side ctf_yavin. There's a couple things I'd like to do to Yavin Ruins. Remove some clips I added and break down some more stuff possibly. The server side ctf_yavin, I need to leak test and align a few more textures possibly to get something stable to start to work with. It's an old edit I've had for a long time but I don't think I ever leak tested it. I have edits that spawned off of this one but I've trashed a couple ideas I was working on. Starting over at this point in time should work out better for the design since I know a bit more now about making maps than I used to.

After yavin, I'd like to take a look at working out a Hexes Ghetto and start working on it.

Forest House CTF

The streaming map I made I am thinking I might turn it into a Forest house CTF map. I might toss back and forth a little bit while working on the ghetto ctf. I have been generating some ideas on how to make it work currently. So once I get to it, I'll have a better idea of what I would like to do. I would kinda like the piano be near the flag in one of the bases. The wierd guy in the long spooky drop in the forest house, I could make obstacles using that picture. I've thought about using the backyard from the forest house for a base, maybe with the piano too.

Mech Temple CTF:

I haven't touched in a little while. I'll need to do just a little bit before it's ready for a test.

Other maps, no word just yet. I will keep ya'll updated.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Screenshots? :D I'm curious about the 'afk zone' thing.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Just today made a trigger inside the tube to use to turn the tube on or off but it doesn't work exactly as intended. It's hard to be in the right spot where the tube is when it turns on. I may have to put a 4 second delay on the trigger maybe to give someone enough time to jump in before it turns on. The push path also is not inline with the tube. I'll straighten the path a little bit too to help also.

I've also come across an old desktop microphone so I might have a mic now. I haven't tested yet as I just got home. I'll work on getting a headset eventually. I'd like to go with a web cam too but I don't think my computer can handle capturing video from 2 sources at once with gaming etc.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I do think Boot said something about a screenshot....of the afk spot / loop

2/3 of the loop is underground. 1/3 of the loop is above.

Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Great. Really like the way this map looks, and the AFK tube is such a lovely idea :P
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Looks really nice. :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I was dream Editing this morning in my sleep lol.

One thing I should have included in the pic is the star destroyer tower. I kinda like the way the main area looks with a Star Destroyer Tower looming over the Bespin area.

I've had thoughts of showing the underbelly of the ship inside the lower part of the afk tube. so the lower tube goes beyond and underneath the Star Destroyer. The "Super Golf Destroyer" lol. I plan on getting some more work done today. I did wake up a little late however since I was up late for no reason other than I wasn't sleepy.

I also have a mic now and got it working last night. I've been wanting to make a tutorial on making something for a map that cycles on and off automatically. The interesting part about it, one way to make it work is having a random teleport for player spawns. All player spawns in a small skybox, with a trigger_multiple to trigger the cycle and a teleport to spawn in the playable areas.

- I knew the map by Szico, Atlantica had auto triggered stuff in it. As it turns out, Atlantica uses a random teleport system for player spawns, kinda like Mech temple but different like I describe above. SO I plan on making a new hole for Golf, and streaming or recording what I am doing to make into a tutorial. It does use a few entities to make one objest or group of objects cycle on and off. I have 2 forcefields and 1 trigger_hurt that cycles in the map, just for that one part it needs:

player spawn, trigger_multiple to start the cycle, teleport to spawn in game, teleport destinations, 2 delays per forcefield and trugger_hurt so 6 in total for just one cycle, then add it 2 more delays and a relay to make it cycle over and over.

So just for one section to cycle on and off, it takes 15 entities for what I had made if there is only 1 player spawn. Once made I could re-use the teleport triggers and spawns. And it's possible to reuse some other elements to make more stuff cycle but not overflowing the map with entities.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Great that you have a microphone now! If you can make a clear enough tutorial (on cycles or relay for example), that would fit nicely into the tutorial section.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I could do it one way or another. The quickest way is to stream it. The better way is to record it. I can stream GTK, I can't stream JK2 gameplay as my computer just can't handle streaming JK2 and everything. I can record game play to my computer, it lags a little but it's about the best I can do with my current set up recording game play. So if I stream, I'll have to record gameplay separate and upload it later. I am not sure I can combine videos on youtube editor or not. I'll look into it though.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)