-- Streaming Gtk --

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
lil_binger

-- Streaming Gtk --

Post by lil_binger »

I've been fooling around with some stuff lately and I've learned how to stream while I work on maps on youtube,

The Wormm Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU7S_iJy5GI

When I decide to stream a little bit I'll post a link.

I hurt my toe changing a tire so I am up late without much to do atm :P My toe is hurting enough to keep me awake a few hours after I hurt it so it could be just a major stub or I broke it.

I found a mic but it uses the 2.5mm plug and not the normal 3.5mm so no mic right now.
Last edited by lil_binger on 20 Dec 2015, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
lil_binger

Re: -- Streaming Gtk --

Post by lil_binger »

streaming will resume later...
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Very cool that you're streaming :D I guess it may be hard to do something about the framerate, but a microphone would really increase the entertainment level for sure.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

nice, i will stay tuned.

i recently installed gtk radiant 1.5.0, there are so much differences between 1.5.0 to newers?
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

After I stream the video is saved to the you tube channel. There's a few breaks of inactivity with the stream I made last night. I was watching a movie too and my toe hurt pretty bad. It still hurts today but not as bad.

Plus I paused once I got the one area to the shape or size I mostly wanted to generate some ideas on where to go next. I think I can edit the video down on youtube so I'll try to get to editing it eventually and cut out all the down time. Trying to work out multi level ctf.

I did finally get some sleep. I'd like to stream soem more today but I might be going to see VII with the family.

More to come soon :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Stream is Live - starting 7:40 PM CST / 1:40 PM EST

I may stream a bit and start where I left off last night and work on some ideas I was thinking about.

Some of what I will be doing here is making a few corridors like I did for golf. It's an easy process to make an area or something especially using a few simple techniques.

Also, I'm pretty good at stretching brushes etc and making rocks. There is a way to control every surface on a rock stretching it but they are a little troublesome to get right. I should be working on a few examples of that also.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

stream will resume later. I made a jump pad at the end of the video. SO there;s a jump pad in the middle and 4 openings a player can be jumped to avove the ground area.

The area above sort of looks like a figure 8 pattern. There will be corridors below also.

Bases will made on a 45 degree angle which will give me a few headaches but I think it would turn out very interesting to do.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Hmm, any particular reason why you make the bases on a 45 degree angle? The first thing that comes to mind is that the player boxes are consistently square (regardless of angle), and it might be confusing to players to 'slide off' one another if it appears to be 'straight' (but really is 45 degrees). But will be interesting to see how it turns out regardless.

Will you do any playtests of your maps while streaming? Might be interesting to see how it plays out (more or less) on the stream.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I decided to do something.... so click the link above if you want to check out the stream. Or click it later and you can watch the video under The Wormm Store on YouTube.

The bases just kinda turned out that way. Well not yet exactly but the way the above connects it leads to a 45 out so fps can be blocked and 2 paths given from the middle to each base. That was just the way the design was leading me. I can still make square stuff on a 45 it's just a little more difficult.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I compiled the map I made for ctf via streaming. I think it has some potential to be a fun ctf map. I've basically made the middle area of the map and for one reason or another, it's shaped into a figure eight on the top level. The bottom level I have not worked on yet, and the middle levels will be the bases giving you an opportunity of taking the "high road" or the "low road". I was strafing around the figure eights by jumping off a cliff onto one of 4 jump pads below then strafing around one side of the eight to jump off another cliff onto the jump pads to repeat. I need to edit the map a bit more to add some more light and designation for which side is which since the jump pads can be a little confusing. (The blue jump pads are on the red side which jumps you to the blue base corridors).

I'm trying to make it where it doesn't matter if u are on the low or high route, both routes will take the same time. I plan on making a lot of stuff to jump on "at speed" to get across without using jump pads both above and below.

So, the plan will be, the middle (figure 8 part) leading to a corridor to a base on each side.

Why another map? Well, I thought I would make one mostly streaming the work done on it. And I thought I would start mostly from scratch. I also wanted to try out an idea I had and one thing leads to another and a whole different beast takes shape. I've got some ideas for it and I think my toe is broken so I might get a little bit done on it before too long.

As for other maps I've been working on, I haven't worked too much on other maps but I will. I'm still really interested in messing around with ctf_yavin a bit more. I've got A.D.D. when it comes to what map I feel like working on some times. Sometimes when you get an inspiration that's the best time to work on something. RIght now the map I've been streaming has been built fairly quickly and I like the speed of it already, and I've got some cool ideas for it so I may prrioritize some work on it for right now. I could release a map pack with the maps I am working on but who knows what will happen just yet.
Last edited by lil_binger on 21 Dec 2015, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Sorry to hear about your toe. I think a way to check if it's broken would be to pull it lightly (instead of moving/wiggling), and if that hurts, probably broken (?). Best of recovery though.

It's looking interesting from the screenshot and your description.
lil_binger wrote:I'm trying to make it where it doesn't matter if u are on the low or high route, both routes will take the same time. I plan on making a lot of stuff to jump on "at speed" to get across without using jump pads both above and below.
This is good!

You should wish for a microphone, for christmas. :mrgreen:
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:You should wish for a microphone, for christmas. :mrgreen:
:lol:
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I'll definitly be working on getting a mic.

I'll also look into getting another set of arms or maybe I can upload my conciousness to my computer so I can work on more than one map at a time :P
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

anyways, streaming jk2 developments are so nice and a good initiative. I really liked the idea :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Nice idea! And I really hope you get a microphone. :D
ozzeh

Post by ozzeh »

Nice, I'll have to check out the videos on your channel. What version of GTK Radiant are you using?
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

ozzeh wrote:Nice, I'll have to check out the videos on your channel. What version of GTK Radiant are you using?
I asked him the same but he doesnt read haha :lol: . Im using 1.5.0... Also i checked 1.6.4 (lastest i think) but only has jk3 support, no jk2... maybe is the same but i preffer to use jk2 setting because there are some entities from jk3 that arent supported on jk2.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I am using 1.6.4 actually. I believe it's what I've always used since I came back to editing in 2013. My install is kinda wierd. You can install the JA with 1.6.4 for JK2, just tell it where the JK2 directory is instead of JK3. It will still work for JK2. Mine is sort of set up that way. The only thing u might need to snag after that is to extract the models from the game to the base directory if using some models from JK2. gtk won't display the model in the editor unless the md3's have been extracted from the game files and added to the appropriate folder in the game directory.

1.6.4 does have problems with patches and caps. But works fairly well and does have a tendency to crash every once in a while so I set autosave to 5 minutes.

It's been a while but I think I have had 2 versions of gtk open at the same time. I have worked with 1.5 some but mostly I've worked with 1.4.

Updating the shader list might be necessary if JK3 version was installed in the JK2 directory.

I think someone asked somewhere about a command line to compile. Just check the read me for mech temple and it has the compile commands I like to use. The sample 2 is a good one, it's a little quick on lighting passes so the lighting isn't perfect but compare a sample 2 compile for 10 minutes compared to a 3 hour bounce 8 compile. A sample 2 compile works fine until a better compile is necessary.
ozzeh

Post by ozzeh »

I recompiled GTKRadiant 1.6.4 for Windows as 32bit. Literally all I did was duplicate the very few JA references and then rename them to JK2. Then I downloaded the JK2 game pack from icculus.org, extract the files, and structure them similarly to how JA was done. It's a hack at best, but GTK ran just fine, copied the required files to the base folder, and opened the sample ctf_bespin.map file without any errors. I then compiled it with the first test option, renamed it, threw it in a pk3, and then uploaded it to my vps to test it ingame. I saw no visual errors, so I assume all worked.

I don't know if the compile options I copied from JA are optimized for JK2, as I didn't look in to it at all, but it seems that changing -game ja to -game jk2 did the trick.

Finally, I don't know why I wasted just over an hour of my life doing this, but (I think) it works. lol.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I set up the GtkRadiant 1.6 a while ago, I don't even remember how exactly. However it was able to load, clean and compile maps my friends couldn't properly load in 1.5.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I use both 1.5 and 1.6, however I do the main work in 1.5, and if I need to do terrain-esque editing or tinkering with vertices in any way, I send it to 1.6 for a few moments, save and re-open in 1.5 afterwards.

I had a thread on JKhub for the differences: http://jkhub.org/topic/3755-mappers-wha ... e-and-why/ (lil binger also posted in there)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

lil_binger wrote:
I think someone asked somewhere about a command line to compile. Just check the read me for mech temple and it has the compile commands I like to use. The sample 2 is a good one, it's a little quick on lighting passes so the lighting isn't perfect but compare a sample 2 compile for 10 minutes compared to a 3 hour bounce 8 compile. A sample 2 compile works fine until a better compile is necessary.
cmon dude i asked u :lol: i said in the map pack project: "anyways i want do test before send u :D as far i remember, to compile the "final release" with lights is (final) BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter -super 2 ? "
Boothand wrote: I use both 1.5 and 1.6, however I do the main work in 1.5, and if I need to do terrain-esque editing or tinkering with vertices in any way, I send it to 1.6 for a few moments, save and re-open in 1.5 afterwards.

I had a thread on JKhub for the differences: http://jkhub.org/topic/3755-mappers-wha ... e-and-why/ (lil binger also posted in there)
thanks for this!
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

That looks fine for a compile triforce. I've got a lot going on lately.

I finally got to see the force awakens last night at the theatres, when I got home someone has included it at Putlocker.IS so I am watching it again :P

I use GTK mostly to just leak test and build. I will use a command line for the command prompt for windows to actually compile. Open command prompt, type cd.. then press enter and then cd.. one more time then press enter to get to the c: directory.

High Res Light Bounce 8 -lomem

"C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v -meta -leaktest -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf2" && "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -vis -saveprt -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf2" && "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -light -lomem -fast -filter -sample 2 -bounce 8 -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf2"

Low res light -Fast -lomem no bounce / test

"C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -v -meta -leaktest -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf" && "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -vis -saveprt -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf" && "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20131213/q3map2" -light -lomem -fast -filter -sample 2 -game ja -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/" "C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/00000_mechgolf"

Those compiles are from notepad. If you paste them in notepad, click word wrap to turn it off then turn it back on then copy the compile line to paste it in the command prompt. Notepad may not be the best to use but it works. You just have to make sure word wrap is set before you copy so the command line is exact or you may experience some difficulties.

Those are mainly the 2 compiles I use. For very large maps a -notjunc may be necessary.

Both compiles above to have -lomem which can be omitted for medium to small maps.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Here's some useful links for compiling too: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1335-q3map2 ... ory-usage/
And I use this for all my compiling: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1039-q3map2 ... interface/

The graphical interface lets you choose what options to include in the compile (or use some presets), and it also has descriptions for each option.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:Here's some useful links for compiling too: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1335-q3map2 ... ory-usage/
And I use this for all my compiling: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1039-q3map2 ... interface/

The graphical interface lets you choose what options to include in the compile (or use some presets), and it also has descriptions for each option.
wow i never seen the graphical interface before :O
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)