WIP : The Temple of Mechanism

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
lil_binger

WIP : The Temple of Mechanism

Post by lil_binger »

I am in the process of finishing up a map called, The Temple of Mechanism.

I actually wrote out an entire post with screenshots and everything about the map then when I clicked submit it told me I had to log in after I was already logged in and I lost the entire post. I will copy this one before submitting just in case :P The map has some very high vantage points but the fun of it is, there is virtually no fall damage. Most every texture in the game I made a shader so that no fall damage with be dealt.

A lot of thought has gone into the map and the map has a lot of history, to make the explanation short and simple. The design now is much different that when it started I think in 2005. I came back to it maybe a couple years ago just for fun and now it has become a beast of a map and it's very close to being finished. (I could only imagine what would happen if a hide and go seek game broke out in this map. The "seekers" may never find the "hiders" lol).

Made for JK2 1.02 primarily. I think it has the potential to be one of the best maps ever made for JK2, not because of it being ultra realistic like Blueice Nightfall for JK3 (which I find boring, no offense, just watch the trailer. Blueice is a master work for sure however, in the trailer, you see a guy walking around slowly, opening doors and looking at stuff. Yeah, it looks incredible but personally I find it boring.) This map was made to be fun and interesting. Each area, I tried to place some elements that would keep players coming back to enjoy.

Shroomduck maps on the other hand are quite the contrary. Shroom's maps are built for fun but aren't exactly realistic and a little on the "blocky" side. The Temple of Mechanism is somewhere in between. This map does incorporate some elements from the Forest House as well that Ook made and I helped expand and complete. The waterfall in the main area, bar elements, a scaled up version of the entrance light to the Forest house, arcade games and a tram system. (the tram in this map is quite different but the idea is the same as the Forest House). Also, one piece of Khomm from the Shroomduck map pack was introduced as the start point of the tram which actually worked quite nicely for this area. There are actually pieces from a few maps I made which were introduced into this map, gutted and redesigned. Most notably Khomm, but others were forest House, Bingstation, Arrow jumps from The Search for Animal Jedi, the rancor and clips for the rancor from a WIP, Rancor Rampage I was working on in the past as well as some elements from Binger's Bespin also a work in progress. The small outhouses from the original Outhouse map are in there. The dojo from bespin ruins expanded for use in Binger's Bespin then re-textured and redesigned for the Temple of Mechanism. And there are some elements from a map one of the LM founders made back in 2003 or something in the council area. The council area also has a couple elements from Binger's Bespin (formally known as Bespin traps expanded into what it is in it's current WIP state as Binger's Bespin).

Originally it was made as a sequel to "The Outhouse" (a clan map for Leveling Mechanism I made when I was the leader of the clan for around 3-4 years). It has been totally redesigned with only a couple elements remaining from the original Temple of Mechanism. It's huge but there are elements in the map to get you where you want to go quickly. It's not a clan map anymore but there are a couple things I placed in the map as an homage to the old clan.

Last night I even stumbled onto something I thought was really great to see. I noclipped outside of the map and was looking in and it really looked cool from the outside.

Also, in the original Outhouse map, I made a mini golf course, so it was only fitting to expand the idea into a full 18 hole thermal adventure golf course!

I plan on making it open source when finished, and not just allow people to open the map file and learn from it...but to modify it and personalize it as necessary (all I ask is that I am given some credit and the map name be different (ex. The Temple of Boothand). I will also be making a texture mod so a map editor doesn't need to be used to personalize the map. There are a many textures that can be personalized for the map to make it into a clan map for any clan just replacing some textures in a mod for the map.

There will also be some RPG stuff that can be changed in the same way. There are some journal entries that as a whole tells some of the backstory for the temple's origination (not clan related stuff but ancient force journals) which can be changed to whatever is needed.

I did release a v.9 of the map back in May of this year but there have been many changes since then and I believe the changes have only made the map better.

I would love to get as many people as possible to give it a proper test online. It would be great to test it out with others by this weekend if possible. One thing about making the map is that I have a slow computer and a map like Blueice Nightfall, my fps drops to maybe 8 fps without bots or anything which pretty much makes Blueice unplayable for me. The lowest fps I get in this map is in the high 40's to low 50's, throw 12 bots in and my computer will still run it with a low of maybe 30 fps with a small dip into the high 20's. Some of you guys with gaming computers may not even get less than 90 fps in the entire map, the fps optimization should make a good gaming experience for anyone.

I hope everyone likes the map as much as I do. Keep you're eyes peeled for a final version soon :)
Last edited by lil_binger on 16 Nov 2015, 20:14, edited 4 times in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: WIP : The Temple of Mechanism

Post by Boothand »

The beta version from May is actually uploaded on this site, here. It's a vast piece of mappage, and I really think it's superb.
I think catering to clans is a cool idea, although clan maps are unfortunately not so common anymore. But we never know. It's great that you're releasing the map file as well!

Do you want to test the final or almost final version with us? I'm sure we could gather up a little bunch of people if you posted an event in the Events section! Just keep in mind most of us are 6 hours ahead. I'm sure some of us can host though :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I did see the post for the beta in the download section. And I am glad you found that version "superb", I appreciate the compliment greatly. The state in which the map is in now I think is all that much better, plus I've add a few Pine trees since the beta someone named Boothand made :P

Don't get me wrong about the clan thing. It's not a clan map. I am just making a small mod in case a clan or someone would like to personalize the map a bit. Some rooms have a couple unique textures that can be replaced with a simple texture mod.

I'd love to test an almost final version / final version. If you would like to set up a time and place in the events section I am sure I would greatly appreciate it. I have been extensively testing the map myself but it is best to have others test it out as well before release it as a final version. Every time I think I am done with it I find a thing here or there I need to tweak. I am trying my best to make this map feel complete and correct (lights without a lightsource etc.). I don't really want to make a final version and have to update it a week later so testing with a group of peeps would be awesome as there may be something I missed that could be fixed before finalizing the project. I would think by this weekend sometime would be great. I should have most everything the way I want it by then. Just let me know what time u think is best, I will adjust my schedule accordingly with a 6 hr time difference from u Boot :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

lil_binger wrote:I think it has the potential to be one of the best maps ever made for JK2, not because of it being ultra realistic like Blueice Nightfall for JK3 (which I find boring, no offense, just watch the trailer. Blueice is a master work for sure however, in the trailer, you see a guy walking around slowly, opening doors and looking at stuff. Yeah, it looks incredible but personally I find it boring.)
exactly.
Do you know the map exploration and all the other maps made by acrobat?
They are an extreme example. They basically use the same shader everywhere and are not detailed at all. Even the lights are very simple.
But they are one of the most enjoyable maps I ever played. And I'm not even only talking about jk2, I mean all games I ever played.
She should really make another one.
It's nice to have a nice looking / detailed map but that's not what makes a game fun to play. You wouldn't still be playing JK2 in that case :D
lil_binger wrote:I plan on making it open source when finished
:shock: :!:
JK2 is getting more and more open code wise. Some open map from a pro to learn from could help beginners a lot.
You can release it under a creative commons license to ensure credits etc.
lil_binger wrote:I actually wrote out an entire post with screenshots and everything about the map then when I clicked submit it told me I had to log in after I was already logged in and I lost the entire post. I will copy this one before submitting just in case
Sometimes it works to use the back button. :D
lil_binger wrote:I would love to get as many people as possible to give it a proper test online. It would be great to test it out with others by this weekend if possible.
Will definitely come if it's not in the middle of the night.

Your map looks awesome, looking forward to see it in-game.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

This map looks pretty amazing. I am really looking forward to try it ingame, but I am afraid I only got time on Sunday. I am busy all Friday and Saturday, so I might miss the big testing.

I don't know if you can set up a server yourself, but I got a "Map Testserver" set up where mostly maniac got to test his maps. It's located in Germany, but if you want to we can put the map on there, remove the password and keep the map running 24h for a couple of days so everyone gets a chance to try it out.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I did try the back button but it didn't work unfortunately. I clicked on the subject and it did remember what I wrote in the subject line but it didn't remember anything else.

I have seen some of acrobats maps but have not played through them thoroughly. Maybe I should take another look.

JK2 has always been my favorite game....ever. I don't really play the game online any more. I think I have logged into an mp server 4 or 5 times since 2008. I started mapping again because I enjoy it and because people still play this game. I am also thinking about adding the work to a portfolio to help me find a better job or to go back to college for a 2nd degree to help me find a better job :P

I am not sure I will complete another map after this one. There are a couple I have done some work on but they need a whole lotta work to get them finished. Only time will tell.

I look forward to seeing some of you for a beta test online. I will leave the testing time and location up to you guys because of the time differences I believe most are in Europe time zones. 10 pm for Boothand is 4pm for me. I am not sure with the rest of ya. I have talked with Boothand some about hosting the map, I don't know if he has a server in mind or was going to create one for the test. It doesn't matter much to me who hosts the server, I do not need rcon or anything to test it out. I am not exactly looking for critiques whether I did something perfect or not. I am mainly looking to see if there is anything I could do to make the map better, or fix any problems or errors. I have some random teleports in the map. I have done something similar in a map before only one person said they would die occassionally (I never experienced this problem). That could occur for others but I've tested it a bunch and never die jumping through a random teleport. Also, The Outhouse map, I made years ago, only 5 people could join at a time for some max entity reason. I don't know if we can get 12 peeps in there during the testnig but as many as we can get is fine by me. I know everyone will not be able to make it but the suggestion to have it hosted for a couple days by Daggolin would be awesome and would give some people the chance to add some feedback that would be freakin' awesome :)

One question I have, should I add color to the map name to be visible in the server list like I had done to the Forest House map? It definitly grabs your attention when you see some color in the map name of the server list althought it's not entirely necessary and it does add some characters people have to type to start the map, but I do like seeing the map name in color in the server list. The previous map name was templeofmechanism, current map name is mechtemple (simplifies it a bit so less typing :P )

Any thanks for the responses so far.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I could set up an event for sunday 8 o clock, on Daggolin's server (?). Should probably have a map to attach so people can pre-download it, but if you wanna keep working on it until then, we can until Thursday to announce it, perhaps. Too early announcements are easy to forget.
Not sure about colors :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

It has always been a pain to start maps with colors in their names, but it does look beautiful and it sure does attract some people. So why not? :)

Regarding the server I can give the two of you rcon so it would be up to you when to run the map on the server. The server does have HTTP Downloads enabled, so I expect that to allow easy (and fast) downloading of the map for all jk2mv clients. So your map might attract some people who didn't even see your topic, just by having a colourful name. :D
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Wow, your screenshots look very impressive! Nice work and I can't wait to explore your map!
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

One question I have, should I add color to the map name to be visible in the server list like I had done to the Forest House map?
nonononono pls not

it may catch the eye on the serverlist but it's impossible to remember the mapname that way.
/map exploration2
/map ffa_deathstar
easy to remember

/map ^1F^3orest^4Hou^5se
is not exactly easy to remember

also, in my opinion, the pk3 name should always match the bsp's name.
jozuf

Post by jozuf »

I wan't to play it NAOW! ^-^
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Regarding color, I would think it would be 2 colors if I would add colors to it and it wouldn't be as crazy as: ^2For^1est^4_^5Ho^3use. It is a long name to remember but, back in the day I actually I wrote a complicated admin config file back in the day and the cfg file would bind the keys I needed to change the map. I also did release the cfg file on JK2files at one point I think. I wrote one for the public, one for =LM= members and one for myself with a bunch more stuff. Using 3-4 keys on my keyboard I could change maps, spectate and kick players on a 16 person seerver, change server settings like regen time and disabling weapons , changing the map, input rcon for remote server control (so I didn't have any typing errors and I could change my name to any preset I had set).

I am thinking ^5mech^1temple might be the colors if i did add colors. Light blue for mech "light" and red for "dark" ^4 doesn't show up well being a true blue color. I will try a couple out and see if I like them. If I don't like them I won't use colors.

A "dark" and "light" color in the name also fits the theme of the map.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I gave Boothand access to the server, he can now adjust configs, upload maps, etc. and give you rcon. ;)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Sounds good. THanks Dagg. Hope to see u there.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

It seems there may be a problem already. I think only one person can connect at a time....my computer will freeze up trying to connect if someone is in the server.

I may need to try and make a quick edit.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

new dl link available due to technical problems

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0wzU ... sp=sharing

I apologize for the inconvenience. JK2 just can't handle everything I want to do with a custom map :P

2 maps in this one:

mechtemple_b2 and mechtemple_b3.

I quickly edited both maps with a quick compile. b2 will look better, b3 will not have any fire efx so it won't look as good. I will leave the original beta listed here to look around offline.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

How about some old pics of the temple....

2013 after a few edit from the 2005 map file testing a global fog I used.

2013 original start of the death room with antlers (pretty much unrecognizable now)

The dojo used in bespin arena WIP (Thread on JKhub).

Main outside of the temple with JK2 trees, yuk

The training area.

Lots of changes since I took those pics. I was looking for an original pic from 2005 didn't find one. I will take one and post when I can.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

you are working on this since 2005? lol
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I didn't touch the map between 2005 and 2013. It says in the above post, "2013 after a few edit from the 2005 map file testing a global fog I used", meaning, 2013 is when I took those pictures above and they were taken after I messed around editing a map file dated 2005, which was the last edit made before 2013. I thought my short explanation was obvious there. Since 2013, I dabbled with the map here and there. I also was putting more effort into Bespin Arena or Rancor Rampage. Since 2013, I have released the search for animal Jedi and Forest House for JA working on both of those maps during that time. I also took a 6 month break or 2 since 2013 not mapping at all. Since my last break I have only put in about 4 weeks of work into the map. The Temple of Mechanism has taken priority over everything else now however. I haven't touched bespin arena much at all in the last 8 months maybe. Just a little here and there.
NubSmoo

Post by NubSmoo »

Such amazing work done on it
{Nub} Ownz Your Face!
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

ty for the compliment Smoo!

Anyone have a time machine handy?

I'd like to travel back in time to when I started making maps for JK2 and teach myself a thing or 2 lol.

I have so much more knowledge about making jk2 maps than I used to. I have been taking some notes on making a tutorial or 2. I don't want to write it out either. I think a video is much more instructional and easier to understand than a wall of text and some pictures. I also think a video would help people make a map much quicker and easier than previously thought possible.

I also thank you guys here at jk2.info. I've spent more time here than on JKhub recently. You guys are awesome!
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

lil_binger wrote:
I also thank you guys here at jk2.info. I've spent more time here than on JKhub recently. You guys are awesome!
im on jkhub forums too, and i agree with that, jkhub is more jka related...
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

About the only thing to change to have the map work in JA are trigger spawn flags. Train path_corner spawn flags already have the JA linear 1 spawnflag in the JO version. So just changing triggers from spawnflags 1 to spawnflags 4 for the usable triggers is necessary for a JA version. All textures are included already in the map file. I did this so save a bunch of time for a conversion and there are so many no damage shaders I aslo included them all so there would be no conflicts. So they could test the JO. There are only a few usable triggers and all the usable triggers have a wait time associated with them so they will pretty much work as intended in JA, it's just you don't need to use them for them to work due to the spawnflags. So it would have been good to get some input from them too but unless it's labeled "4 Jedi Academy", they won't check it out lol.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

(off-topic) one of things i want to do in future projects is port some useful jk2 SP and jkA entities to work on jk2 MP, ive done some of these to get SP all map works on MP, or adding atmospherics into jk2 MP, and obiously, create new ones :D
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

1 - I'd like to see for JO mainly, is physical and other entites be separated. I've been told this can be done as a server side mod to increase the amount of entities that could be placed in a map for JO. (the same map may not work for JO without the mod though.) But it seems JK2mv is used everywhere atm. And servers running the mod won't have a problem. A note can be placed in a readme for the map to identify this and / or a 2nd map could me made to not use the mod but could take a lot of work. (for the temple of mechanism I had to remove a bunch of fx_runners for the last compile to allow more people to connect). [The Outhouse had this problem too. Maybe the outhouse v2 had it but I am not sure, it's been a while but I remember only 5 people could connect at one point).

2 - To somehow make the same spawnflag in JO for using a trigger (spawnflags 1) be the same as the one for JA (spawnflags 4). Or a mod could be made for JA to change the spawn flags so JO map can be used in JA without doing anything special (like changing spawnflags and recompiling). Lots of old maps for JO could be played in JA if something like that was done. (there are already links to download a JO texture pack for JA) [I wouldn't put much time into this one unless it can be done quickly and painlessly and not a mod of the game code for JA).

3 - rotating trains would be kool like they can do in JA.

4 - I'm not sure if glow can be used in a shader for MV but I have seen an option for glow but I have not tested this.

5 - something for JO to make scripts work would be kool so people could play JA maps in JO. This more than likely won't be done as a server side mod and I believe most people do not want JO modded like that and prefer the server side stuff.

6 - JA shader sounds! q3map material sounds to work in JO. I like the fact that Mech Temple in JA the sand sounds like sand, wood sounds like wood. The parameters in the shader file for JO for mech temple are in place to make the appropriate sounds in JA but JO defaults them to rock or something simolar. (also probably won't work as a server side mod but someone who knows more than i do might find a way)

7 - grapple would be awesome but pretty much requires a mod. (I've often thought how cool it would be to grapple around The Temple of Mechanism with the distances and multiple levels) Tress can be grappled etc and they do have physics clips which a grapple can attacth to).
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)