Inspiring id Tech 3 maps

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
fau
Staff

Inspiring id Tech 3 maps

Post by fau »

Please post here the most beautiful, innovative, inspirational, yaw-dropping id Tech 3 map you've seen.
I'm not going to shoot all my bullets right away, so I'll just start with presenting you to the body of work of Simon "Sock" O'Callaghan. There are even more maps in the right sidebar list

Not only his works fulfill all the requirements I listed, they also can be characterized by the greatest attention to detail I've ever witnessed in any q3 map. What amounts of work and passion he puts into his creations can be read on the blog linked above. If you are a mapper don't forget to read his tutorials too.

If you viewed screenshots and feel ready to get your hands dirty, I can only recommend you getting Quake III Arena, ioqake3 and playing through The Edge of Forever - a very enjoyable single player (or coop I believe!) puzzle/maze level. Watch teaser on YouTube if still not convinced.

Last edited by fau on 05 Oct 2015, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Inspirational id Tech 3 maps

Post by Boothand »

That stuff looks incredible. I've used his tutorials for terrain blending, which is great fun.

Like I posted in another topic (which I now will merge into this post), I love Szico VII's maps, and wanted to shed some light on Moonbase Labs, although unfinished. The geometry is very impressive, and I think all or most of it was done in GtkRadiant, even the tiny details in wall panels etc. It's for Jedi Academy.

I suspect this one may be using 'rend2' with normal maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USoX7SHJZds
fau
Staff

Re: Inspiring id Tech 3 maps

Post by fau »

I wouldn't recognize these videos as id Tech 3, looks more like id Tech 4. A great looking map for JA nethertheless.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

i like the temple map. could be a jk2 map without any modifying anything. :lol:

there is also a impressive jk2 map:

fau
Staff

Post by fau »

ouned wrote:i like the temple map. could be a jk2 map without any modifying anything. :lol:
Sources, textures, everything is available on his page under Creative Commons licence. I don't think anyone would be particularly interested in playing a map without a square meter of even ground though, no matter the gamemode. Maybe something like jedi master? It could make a cool clan map for ceremonies, role playing etc. (if we were in 2000s :P)

Next on my "list" (I don't have any list, I just skimed the surface over the years, not being part of mapping community myself) would be the You'll Shoot Your Eye Out by Matthew "Lunaran" Breit and Andrew "KungFuSquirrel" Weldon. Even though it wasn't it's goal, the map presents how make make a really visually outstanding and never aging work - ommit your material's (engine) weakness and use all strong points in the concept phase. Created using procedural geometry generation and unique lighting technique, I believe this map inspired a new trend in q3 mapping while remaining it's most perfect achievment. Make sure to read the story of it's inception and creation, and view more screenshots in the first link.

Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

That last one looks really great. Not sure how the map would actually play out, but visually it's quite unique. I like the lighting.

By the way, looking through SimonOC's website, I wasn't sure which maps were actually for id Tech 3. I assume everything that doesn't say Crysis Warhead (Pro)? :D
Valar

Post by Valar »

fau wrote:You'll Shoot Your Eye Out by Matthew "Lunaran" Breit and Andrew "KungFuSquirrel" Weldon.
I really like this artstyle!
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Boothand wrote:Not sure how the map would actually play out (...)
Quake deathmatch has very specific needs. Best maps usually have non-trivial layout with few vertical levels and mind-boggling teleports. Not a piece of cake for mapers, who usually are very casual players. These maps although definitely playable in fun ffa, never got wider acclaim (also due to low fps). This topic isn't about playability though.

On the other hand, there are other games being less demanding: Q3 DeFRaG has constant and never ending hunger for new maps, new layouts and new ideas to keep players interested, and many excellent maps are being made for it. I love it. JK2 is somewhere in the middle I believe (depending on a mode, ctf needs special maps obviously).
By the way, looking through SimonOC's website, I wasn't sure which maps were actually for id Tech 3. I assume everything that doesn't say Crysis Warhead (Pro)? :D
There are also quite a few Quake 1 maps in the mix.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Lets speak of some playable maps for a change. One of the most proficient QuakeLive mappers is german architecture student, Cityy. His latest creation, Ragnarok is not only considered one of the prettiest QuakeLive maps, but also runs well on most machines and gathered great acclaim from TDM community (myself included). Great lighting, textures and layout make it really stand out. Unfortunatelly I can't find any high-res screenshots, here is one and a TDM game played on it. Keep in mind that QuakeLive has slightly improved lighting, color correction and bloom.
ragnarok.jpg
ragnarok.jpg (198.93 KiB) Viewed 40301 times
https://youtu.be/1Yi9rXXCx2I?t=68

Other maps worth of mentioning would be fluorescent - winning entry of MaverickServers.com Q3 Mapping Competition held in 2011:

very popular duel map Cure, and slightly less so McSarge's
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Ragnarok looks very nice. It reminds me of other standard Quake maps in its layout, but looks nice in the architecture otherwise. From only the screenshot, it reminded me a little bit of BlueIce Nightfall, another amazing Szico map.

I'm pretty sure I've played that Cure map, not knowing it was custom made. At least I've played a map which had parts identical.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)