demo recorder

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
<(CjS)> Karadoc ~

demo recorder

Post by <(CjS)> Karadoc ~ »

hi guys :) where i can find the demo recorder ? :) Or can you upload demo recorder pls ?

Do you use other program for record in jk2 ? :)
Boothand
Administrator

Re: demo recorder

Post by Boothand »

[Moved to Modding discussion]

Not sure who made it, but are you looking for the thing that uses one button to record, same button to stop, then a new demo when you press record again, etc?
Maybe one of us could make something like that rather quickly, otherwise I'm sure someone around here has it. Will have to get back to it later, gotta go!
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

sounds like hes searching for something like fraps?
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Depending on what you want to do you might either want to record demos or actual videos. The big advantage of a demo file is, that it is not an actual video and you can replay the demo in modified jk2 versions (like joMME) to watch a scene from a different point of view. You can look at the people behind you or fly around a corner to see who was hiding there.

To record demos in jk2 you have to set "g_synchronousClients" to 1, use the command "record <filename>" and set "g_synchronousClients" to 0 again (if it is set to 1 you might experience extreme delays when moving etc., depending on your connection to the server).

With jk2mv > 1.0.2 (not officially released, nigthly builds [work in progress, could be crashy or behave otherwise unexpected] can be found at https://jk2mv.org/builds) you don't need to set "g_synchronousClients" anymore.

If you are looking for a demo script that automatically records with different names each time you press a hot key, I don't have one, but I could ask around.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Here you go:
movie.cfg.zip
(620 Bytes) Downloaded 1190 times
I may write some auto-recording code for jk2mv one day.

For short gifs/clips, have a look at http://plays.tv Haven't tried it myself (no linux client obviously) but it sounds like what you may want.
Last edited by fau on 12 Apr 2016, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I have actually been thinking about using timestamps as filenames in jk2mv when record is used without a filename. Would make such scripts unnecessary.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Simple timestamps wouldn't make this script unnecessary. I wrote it to record only moments I'd like to save while keeping demo size small. Actually q3 has demo cutters being able to parse the demo's chat log and find frags by your mark (usually a chat bind of your choice). Still, once you get used to it, I find this simple script even better because you don't clutter your hdd with tons of useless demo files.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)