A short test of the GamePlay changer

Discussions about modding, questions, mod requests or just show off what you're working on.
Tr!Force

A short test of the GamePlay changer

Post by Tr!Force »

This is a short test of the main feature of this mod (GZNetwork Mod) called "GamePlay Changer" (cvar gzn_gameplay <value> or cmd /gameplay <version>).

Basically you can change (live in-game) the core-gameplay between 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04 game versions from Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer.

"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Boothand
Administrator

Re: A short test of the GamePlay changer

Post by Boothand »

Really O_O That is quite unique. Cool.

Have you thought about what situations it would be handy/relevant to switch between gameplay in? JK2mv users can simply change servers though, but maybe this could have some benefits too? Either way, seems like a fun project 8-)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Boothand wrote:Have you thought about what situations it would be handy/relevant to switch between gameplay in? JK2mv users can simply change servers though, but maybe this could have some benefits too? Either way, seems like a fun project 8-)
I was actually thinking about adding such a gameplay-switcher to dark at some time to make dimensions with different gameplay. But due to client predicition everyone would need a clientside that supports those changes and I decided against it. I think the clientside aspects makes it pretty impractical to have a gameplay changer on a "regular server" (at least for now, maybe I am going to add it sometime anyway). :(

However if you have a server that requires a specific clientside to play this can be a fun-feature. And I think Tr!FoRcE's server requires his clientside to play on. :mrgreen:
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:Really O_O That is quite unique. Cool.

Have you thought about what situations it would be handy/relevant to switch between gameplay in? JK2mv users can simply change servers though, but maybe this could have some benefits too? Either way, seems like a fun project 8-)
I started this "feature" before the jk2mv, so... is not the same thing like change between server with different versions (that is nice too) but, if u want the same server to change between versions u need re-open the server with that version, with this mod, u just use a cmd or cvar for that, and live in-game... so thats not the only thing, this is the main feature but not the only. i will put the rest of the things i did in the older version (JK3 Jetpack, grapple, melee weapon, vehicles, account system, map modding, etc... ), and i will not do a different mod for every version, this will be like a multi-version mod, loadable from every version.
Daggolin wrote:I was actually thinking about adding such a gameplay-switcher to dark at some time to make dimensions with different gameplay. But due to client predicition everyone would need a clientside that supports those changes and I decided against it. I think the clientside aspects makes it pretty impractical to have a gameplay changer on a "regular server" (at least for now, maybe I am going to add it sometime anyway). :(

However if you have a server that requires a specific clientside to play this can be a fun-feature. And I think Tr!FoRcE's server requires his clientside to play on. :mrgreen:
Yes. my mod requires a clientside part. is needed for the smooth gameplay functionally (for example, the 1.02 clientside is completly different, so i was mixed the main differences in only one).

PS: Clientside is not fully required, the game will not crash for a guest... with the force plugin cvar the client will only be on the spectator, but if u disable that they can join and play, but will not be the same experience.

PS2: For example, some friends like play CTF like 1.02, and anothers guys who joins the server are from 1.04, so we switch to 1.04 gameplay specially for Duels, my personal friends play 1.03 gameplay for FFA, etc... thats the purpose :D
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Tr!Force wrote:For example, some friends like play CTF like 1.02, and anothers guys who joins the server are from 1.04, so we switch to 1.04 gameplay specially for Duels, my personal friends play 1.03 gameplay for FFA, etc... thats the purpose :D
Ah. Yeah, that makes sense then :)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Tr!Force wrote:and i will not do a different mod for every version, this will be like a multi-version mod, loadable from every version.
I thought about that a few years ago, too. Back then I made the mod of the dark-server loadable in 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04. However animations and structs were still incompatible and things looked broken when loading the "universal qvm" of the 1.04 mod in 1.02. I thought of some ways to overcome those issues, but decide they're are rather ugly and not worth the effort. Anyway I have been thinking about trying those ideas ever since. In case you run into problems we can talk about different approaches one can take. ;)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Daggolin wrote:I thought about that a few years ago, too. Back then I made the mod of the dark-server loadable in 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04. However animations and structs were still incompatible and things looked broken when loading the "universal qvm" of the 1.04 mod in 1.02. I thought of some ways to overcome those issues, but decide they're are rather ugly and not worth the effort. Anyway I have been thinking about trying those ideas ever since. In case you run into problems we can talk about different approaches one can take. ;)
About the animations compatibility, im working on that, i can load and play with my qvm, but i need make the difference between 1.02 and 3 & 4, 1.02 uses a different anim-table. So, for 1.02 mode activated, im not allowing the bad animations from 1.03 & 4.

Anyways, im constantly testing and looking for solutions for every feature of every version. if i need some help i will talk to u, thanks :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

are you guys #ifdefing your mods and then get a qvm for each version or does it detect the version on the fly?
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I had one detecting it on the fly, but I never fixed the issue with animations, because I figured the changes to fix those were not worth the effort. After all there was no jk2mv at that time and you would've had to swap the dedicated server binaries anyway. #ifdefing the important parts seemed to be the easiest solution. By #ifdefing the code I had the mod on the dark-server compile properly for 1.02 and 1.04 (with the gameplay depending on which version you compiled) within one afternoon. And as the compile-scripts simply output 2 qvms now ("base/1_02/jk2mpgame.qvm" and "base/1_04/jk2mpgame.qvm") it didn't make sense to work on any on-the-fly version. :lol:
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

ouned wrote:are you guys #ifdefing your mods and then get a qvm for each version or does it detect the version on the fly?
me not... im simply (well isnt a really simple work) converting a main functions like "PM_Weapon()" into "PM_Weapon_v102(), PM_Weapon_v103() and PM_Weapon_v104()", linking them with the anoter functions called by that function, with conditional sentences... i tried #ifdefing but thats only work on the first mod/server load, i dont want that because will be the same to use "mv_serverversion"... i want change it "on the fly" or without doing a map_restart :D . im not loading different qvm's, im mixing the main functions from every version on a only cgame qvm, game qvm and ui qvm
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Tr!Force wrote:This is a short test of the main feature of this mod (GZNetwork Mod) called "GamePlay Changer" (cvar gzn_gameplay <value> or cmd /gameplay <version>).

Basically you can change (live in-game) the core-gameplay between 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04 game versions from Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer.

Awesome job on that mod! ;)
How old is that mod and are you extending it still?

Grettings,

Kazuka | nD
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Kazuka | nD wrote:
Awesome job on that mod! ;)
How old is that mod and are you extending it still?

Grettings,

Kazuka | nD
i started the original mod in 2008, is when i started to coding jk2 and when i joined the coding world, is the reason why im "re-coding" this, because the old mod i started has so much trash-code. This is and old video from a friend testing the old one.

Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Haha, it looks like that you had a lot of fun there. :D
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)