Possible 1.02 Dueling Tournament?

Announce or find tournaments to participate in here!
Miso

Possible 1.02 Dueling Tournament?

Post by Miso »

Was doing some thinking and I would really like to make a dueling tournament on 1.02 since the only tournaments I have seen on 1.02 for a while now are cpt games.

I don't have any actual plans yet as this is just an idea but I know that I would probably do the following:

100/100 at start of duel
UK Server

I would like some input on this especially from 1.02 players :) since I am mostly a 1.04 player, I would host it just like I normally would, however I have no clue what map I would even use. Just plain ffa_bespin or the 1.04 maps I have used for tournaments in the past like ffa_CloudShark or something like that. It'd be really neat to see this happen on 1.02 !

Then again, there also COULD be a reason why there are not many dueling tournaments on 1.02, maybe there is something that I'm missing that somebody could fill me in on. Regardless, your comments are welcome.
Jj.miso
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Possible 1.02 Dueling Tournament?

Post by Boothand »

I think people would be more hyped for a 2v2 duel tournament. That was quite successful last time. FFA_bespin would probably be most popular, at the streets. 1v1 was fine, but not very entertaining as it was very prone to pussyfooting (not daring to do a real attack).

Announcing it here wouldn't be enough to get many participants. A bit unsure what kind of promotion would hit home, since you're not that known in 1.02. Almost all active 1.02 players are European, the server should be as central as possible. sv_fps 100. Team damage could be very interesting (in my opinion).
Miso

Post by Miso »

So a TFFA league? People pick their own teams?
I'd like to do that as well. Do you think being hosted in the United Kingdom would be okay?
Also, you're definitely right about me not being known in 1.02, so I would need some people to help spread the message, as if I did this myself, I don't think anybody would listen to me :D
Jj.miso
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Germany would be best, but UK could be okay too I think :)
Miso

Post by Miso »

Well I also have a server in Poland as well but it technically should have been removed April 27th, so I don't know how much longer I will have it for ^^
Jj.miso
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Probably team sign-ups, yeah. Not sure what most people's pings are in UK. Besides, I'm sure some Germans could lend away a server for an event, there are plenty of server-owners within our circle.
Miso

Post by Miso »

I'm gonna put up a test server hosted in UK in like 2 minutes, IP will be 185.120.34.52:28078
Jj.miso
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

As far as I know I usually have great pings on UK servers and every now and then I ask a UK player on a German server if he/she happens to be German, cause their pings are pretty low.

If the UK server isn't "good enough" location wise I am pretty sure there is something we can organise around Germany, too. However I think UK servers usually work out pretty good.
Miso

Post by Miso »

Got 4-5 from the Ancient <ivi> server to test the ping and they all had between 30-60 ping. We even managed to play a round of TFFA...was my first time playing TFFA on 1.02..an interesting experience for sure ^^
Jj.miso
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Glad to hear that. :)
Fudasys

Post by Fudasys »

If you want to do a duel tournament in 1.02, just do it!
In the past, duel tournaments in 1.02 were quite successful. The last both tournaments were last year, a 1on1 and a 2on2 tournament, both successful.

I recommend to take ffa_bespin as map. There isn't much acceptance for different maps in the 1.02 community if it comes to competitive gaming.

You should use a server from UK, since most players are from russia, hungary, germany and poland. For me the ping is 20-30ms higher on a UK server.

If you want, I can offer my server (Ancient <ivi>) for this event.
Miso

Post by Miso »

Fudasys wrote: You should use a server from UK
I should or shouldn't? lol
Jj.miso
Fudasys

Post by Fudasys »

shouldn't*
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Exactly :) As he told, most EU players have between 20 - 30 higher ping than they do on german servers, which might make some players unhappy. :)
Miso

Post by Miso »

So then back to a point I made earlier on; what about a Polish server?
Jj.miso
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

is this still up? im still on fire to take part in one more tournament, but i do not have the time to host one on my own. also 2on2 is preferred, more entertaining to watch for people.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I think a polish server would be nice. I second the opinion about 2v2, it's a lot more interesting.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)