Guacamole Sunshine

New to the forum or to the game? Or a longtimer? Either way, tell us about yourself here!
BuZz

Guacamole Sunshine

Post by BuZz »

Hello, all.

My name is BuZz.

I started playing JK2 a bit after it's release, getting the Best of PC pack from Target when I was a young teen, at least 9 years ago. I grew up in a religious family, going to church every Saturday, not going and seeing all the new horror flicks. Star Wars was pretty much the extent of my reach, a couple others being Nintendo and Pokemon.

I never really had internet growing up, (until I finally thought of the phone cable for when I got into Diablo 2,) so I never played multiplayer until a little after that. I remember tethering my blackberry to use nets, lawls. Moral of the story, I played singleplayer for the longest time.

When I finally made my debut onto jk2mp.exe, all the initial generation players were gone, and had moved onto their careers and spouses. I found my way onto Wonko's World, and stayed there pretty much. Loved the face that people would make maps and play them. Every other server stayed on Bespin.

I had more fun growing up just jumping around on said maps, not really paying much attention to the mechanics and fighting system like I should have to properly develop skills and techniques.

Now, after a few years of being young and stupid, getting back on track and now just being stupid, I have gotten reminiscent of my childhood and have started playing the good, ol' PC again. I have me a couple steady jobs, now; decent internet and a not too shabby laptop.

I guess, what I'm trying to say, everyone, is I'm a noob. In saber combat, I never thought about anything like “wiggling,” never crossed my mind. You guys and your force choke BS. I can strafe a bit, though, credits to Acrobat, frequenting Wonkz. I can also map a bit with GTK and JK2Radiant, even though and I don't quite remember who helped me out with that.

This is an application, I suppose. I'd like to join a Corp and learn the saber, contribute to the clan and possibly bring some friends in. I actually got this unopened Unreal Technology software and thick-ass book from some professors garage when I helped my professor friends professor friend move a good while back. I never really used it. Just opened it up to look through it, never getting around to learning more in-depth than what I knew.

I don't know what else to say, I'm pretty sure I had something else, some point, but it has fled from my mind at this moment. I shall see you all in-game and look forward to it all.

Yours truly,
the drunken Jedi of doomstains.

P.S. Maybe the thought was I've been playing JKA, as well. A Christmas present. I guess I frequent EFF the most. I remember Vrael. Even though I'm just a blimp.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Guacamole Sunshine

Post by Boothand »

Hey, welcome!
I enjoyed reading your introduction. I think jumping around on custom maps is an equally authentic JK2 experience, and we've all done or do that sometimes.

I'm not sure which version you're interested in playing. For JK2 1.02 I have some online things that could help you roughly understand the saber combat system: This unfinished Youtube series and this post about red style blocking (and possibly this, if you become the nerd I was). It's not as romantic as having your own teacher in-game, but you can usually find a friendly player to show you stuff.
For 1.04, nobody has really made the effort to explain it, but it's closer to JKA's combat. Fau on this forum is a champion you could ask, in that case.

If you have questions about GTKRadiant and mapping or other development (coding, modelling etc), this forum is also a good place to ask :)
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Fortunately there is no "wiggling" in jk2 ;-)
Just play on servers, ask all your question. I always recommend SoL clan and server to new players due to friendly atmosphere. 1.04 goes through an activity low typical for this part of the year.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Hello and welcome the jk2.info!
I can relate to the ingame parts of your post. I have never become a "good player" myself, always been more interested in jumping around the map and modding something. :)

As you mentioned Wonko's World I guess you're a 1.04 player. I've spent most of my jk2 time on 1.04 as well and Wonko's World has been a constant place of fun and madness on 1.04, but I haven't seen Wonko himself in years - was always fun playing with him.

By the way, some of us are currently hanging around the #jk2 channel on the QuakeNet IRC network. So if you wanna talk or find someone to play with, you can find some of us there. There isn't many people, as we just recently started using it, but hey anyone is welcome there. :)

I hope to see you ingame or on IRC sometime. :D
BuZz

Post by BuZz »

I've recently gotten jk2mv and have dabbled in 1.02. I can see why people prefer it, the saber being free to move being the first thing that popped out at me.
Miso

Post by Miso »

I've known you for the past 4 years, dating back from when I was in [AGoF].
However, I never knew you were someone aspiring to look for "training".

Although being trained in JJ from powerful players like ma'jamb, iron lungz, alucard, and more, I was given training prior from people like |AGoF|DeMBones, and .:LM:.Scorp.

Point being, there will always be people around to help you train. As Fau mentioned before, it's a little difficult at this time as the activity around this time of year is usually pretty quiet. Maybe during the summer it will hopefully pick up some more.

Anyways, you can also ask me for saber advice any time you'd like. You have me on Steam, so ask whenever.

Nice to see you on the jk2 community forum :)
Jj.miso
BuZz

Post by BuZz »

Why is it that different times of the year cause different server fluctuation?
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

BuZz wrote:Why is it that different times of the year cause different server fluctuation?
Summer & vacation = Beach time :lol:
BuZz

Post by BuZz »

Duh. Which reminds me. Gotta schedule my vacation this year.
Yeah. Miso. I've just been teaching myself but I finally swallowed my pride and admitted I need help.
Miso

Post by Miso »

BuZz wrote:Yeah. Miso. I've just been teaching myself but I finally swallowed my pride and admitted I need help.
The other thing to consider is that most active players now are European, so if you actually aspire to learn to duel and quote-unquote "compete", I suggest learning with high ping. At first it's probably not a bad idea to begin the ropes with a low ping to get a taste of how sweet it is :P
Learning to play on high ping can be a serious struggle. You'll find that a lot of your swings go right through the opponent. However, the more you do something, the more you'll adapt to it. So if you really are serious about learning to duel, the biggest advice I can give you is don't give up.
If you're aspiring to learn force, I cannot really help you there as I don't have really any knowledge on force fighting (other than saber throw / pull / kick, but compared to all the ff'ers out there now, this is a very basic standard move). You could probably find some force advice on SoL, JiP, or FOD. Some of the players there are trolls though so pick carefully.
If I catch you on sometime, I'll ask if you would like some saber training. Maybe we can move to an American server like JJ, Ca, or GR.
Jj.miso
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)