Hello and introducing Custom Maps Server

New to the forum or to the game? Or a longtimer? Either way, tell us about yourself here!
eXile

Hello and introducing Custom Maps Server

Post by eXile »

Hello together!

So nice to still see some activity within JK2. :o :D
Im Kevin, 24 years old and come from Germany, Frankfurt. I played JK2MP alot a few years ago and maybe someone will still remember me as "Tuti-Fruti" or "Greedo". However, I decided to come back to JK2 and play some hours at weekend or at evening after work.

Since I missed a server with the good old custom content from back these days, I decided to host my own one.
Visit www.jkrevive.com (landing page for the server) for a valid mappack and come around, if you wanna play some of the greatest and funniest maps of the JK2 Community like JediCouncilGC or Country Roads from ShroomDuck.

Servername: JKRevive.com Best of JK2
IP: 91.250.84.156:28070

The server timelimit is set to 30 minutes and there are only custom maps inside the mappool. You can download a Mappack from the website, if you miss any maps. Please feel free to contact me, if you wanna have a map added to the server.

Would be glad to see you around folks, nice to be back and great thanks to jk2.info admins for providing this board to us. Great work!

Cheers,
Kevin / eXile
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Hello and introducing Custom Maps Server

Post by Daggolin »

Hello and welcome to jk2.info. It's always nice to see new (or returning) faces around!

It's great to see someone else with the love for custom maps actually dedicating a whole server to custom maps. It's not like custom maps have completly died out, some servers (like michl's jk2 public server or the dark servers) allow map votes to play custom maps, but the maps are reverted after the server was empty for a while (at least on dark), so most people probably don't know they can play custom maps around those servers, too. A server dedicated to custom maps only is a great thing, so thanks for providing such a place to the community.

If I see an interesting map on your server I guess I am going to pay it a visit. ;)
By the way, some of us others have recently been playing lots of custom maps on michl's public server and dark. So keep an eye out for us, maybe we play a map or two you haven't played, yet.

Also feel free to add me on Skype (daggolin) - if you have Skype and are willing to add jk2 people that is - so we can talk about the custom maps we have on our servers and expand our collections. And feel free to talk to some of us on teamspeak. I am usually around the jk2.info TeamSpeak when I play jk2. :D

Regarding the creation of a new "map pack" please make sure that the original creators of the maps are fine with that. Also I suggest to not make any big new pk3s, as small ones are much faster to download from the server. And regarding direct downloads from the server I would like to suggest that you install jk2mv on you server, to add http downloads to your server. After the introduction of http downloads on LOL 5 years ago (that was before jk2mV, when jk2mF was still around) we often played custom maps with 32/32 people there. And after the release of jk2mv we managed to get 24 humans on maps that almost nobody knew just half a year ago. ;)

So have fun in jk2 (and the community) and see you around! ;)
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Welcome!
Nice, you're doing JK2 a favour with such a server :)
eXile

Post by eXile »

Thanks guys, nice to be here :-).

The server and the landingpage's goal is, to drag some old or even new players to Jedi Knight and make the first steps as easy as possible.
In my opinion, we wont get another game like Jedi Knight within the next years, because those games died out. Thats very sad and Im sure that many people did not played jk2/3 back these days and missed out those great games. I bet there are a few more people like us, who would play the game online, if they even know about it or tried it out.

I want to make some advertise for the jk2 community, my server and this board here, as "central meeting point" for those, who wont let jk2 die :). Maybe we can pull some players back to jedi knight or even get some new players involved, that never played jk before.

Im also thinking about creating a new map, since I made some mapping experience back these days and I just loved to create new worlds for jedi knight. If I will do it, its gonna be huge.. as huge as possible within q3engine. Thinking about Coruscant.. we will see ;)

Since I missed a few years, I dont know "jk2mv" and I was wondering why the autodownload function wont work :).
Of corse its alot easier to autodownload a map while connecting to the server instead of download and install it manually.

I will do my best to get this work, thanks for the hint Daggolin. I also added you on skype as well ;).
Miso

Post by Miso »

Jj.miso
eXile

Post by eXile »

Hey Miso, I will add your map as soon as possible to the map pool ;). Thanks.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)