Hi I'm a speedrunner

New to the forum or to the game? Or a longtimer? Either way, tell us about yourself here!
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Hi I'm a speedrunner

Post by Daggolin »

The "checkpoint system" was something we had in mind to allow an actual racing competition with everyone running at the same time (not seeing each other, but only their current place in the race), with a "random route" chosen from a predefined set of routes (for various existing maps) that is unknown to the participants before the race, to give even the best runners a chance to mess up and fall behind (cause they didn't expect the next waypoint in the direction it showed up). We considered to make it for some kind of "jk2.info - Event", releasing the routes after the event, but none of us found the time to code such a mod and organise such an event. It was all just thoughts and ideas.

We have a "JumpServer" though. The [DARK]JumpServer on 1.04 has got some sets of timers for various acrobat-maps and keeps track of your best times if you register (/amregister). Most of the maps are designed to be played with air-control though (you might know that from CPM/Defrag for Quake3), so the server is going to enable air-control for those maps. Maps can be switched with /callvote map <mapname>.

Available maps with timers:
  • Acrobat-Blackhallways
  • Acrobat-Blackhallways2
  • Acrobat-Bridges
  • Acrobat-Dash
  • Acrobat-Dash2
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways2
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways3
  • Acrobat-Metal
  • Acrobat-Metal2
  • Acrobat-Redhallways
  • Acrobat-Redhallways2
  • Acrobat-Redhallways3
  • Acrobat-Yellowrace
  • Acrobat-Yellowrace2
  • boris_daytime
  • boris_nightime
  • boris_nighttime
  • boris_torture1
  • boris_torture2
  • boris_torture3
  • boris_torture4
  • boris_torture5
  • Vrael-guns
There are more maps and if you are interested timers can be added to other maps as well. But beware, Rachel, Acrobat and the others already have some pretty good times stored for many of the above.
Miso

Post by Miso »

Daggolin wrote:Available maps with timers:
  • Acrobat-Blackhallways
  • Acrobat-Blackhallways2
  • Acrobat-Bridges
  • Acrobat-Dash
  • Acrobat-Dash2
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways2
  • Acrobat-Greenhallways3
  • Acrobat-Metal
  • Acrobat-Metal2
  • Acrobat-Redhallways
  • Acrobat-Redhallways2
  • Acrobat-Redhallways3
  • Acrobat-Yellowrace
  • Acrobat-Yellowrace2
  • boris_daytime
  • boris_nightime
  • boris_nighttime
  • boris_torture1
  • boris_torture2
  • boris_torture3
  • boris_torture4
  • boris_torture5
  • Vrael-guns
Aren't there some q3 cpm maps on the JumpServer that have a working timer as well?
fau wrote:PS And is 1.02 strafe mechanics any different from 1.04? Could we find a ruleset with moves that are doable on both versions?
I'm pretty sure that the strafe mechanics for 1.02 and 1.04 are the same
Last edited by Miso on 14 Apr 2016, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Jj.miso
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

fau wrote: PS And is 1.02 strafe mechanics any different from 1.04? Could we find a ruleset with moves that are doable on both versions?
The strafing isn't different between the versions, at least as far as I know :) As Saito says though, the there seem to be some differences between SP and MP :)

1.02 strafing just look different because the body do some tilts and turns depending on angles and the current velocity :)
saito

Post by saito »

Do you guys know if there is a difference in SP strafe jumping 1.02 and 1.03? I always played SP on 1.03
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

saito wrote:Do you guys know if there is a difference in SP strafe jumping 1.02 and 1.03? I always played SP on 1.03
Honestly never strafed too much in SP; never been good at strafing in general, but I suck even more at it in SP, so I ended up just running instead :lol:
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

@Daggolin: I'm not very keen on jk2 "race" maps. Defrag just beats them hands down in every possible aspect. I started writing them down but it felt too cruel :P A special thing that only jedi knight has is climbing/exploring with it's unique mechanics, force powers, helping each other etc.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

The difference between 1.02 and 1.04 strafe jumping is that your model looks different (as Kameleon mentioned) and running backwards is faster on 1.02, so strafing backwards is slightly different, but I guess that doesn't count too much. ;)

@fau: I know. Catz asked me to add a timer to a map and so I wrote a quick and dirty one. And when he asked for air-control like on defrag I told him I never played defrag and couldn't re-create it unless he finds some documentation. A bit later he just sent me the air-control source code and I just added it to the server. The rest was more or less some little tweaks for a clientside as Acrobat and a few others got really excited about jk2 races and Acrobat started making map after map. Was a fun time back then with a dozen players trying to beat each other every day. Nevertheless it stayed a small quick and dirty approach... Can't believe it's been 4 years already, the server is still up though.

By now there is a far better jka racing mod by loda, but as I said it's for jka (http://upsgaming.com/stats/). Maybe that's interesting for some of the speedrunners here. ;)

@Miso:
fau wrote:Aren't there some q3 cpm maps on the JumpServer that have a working timer as well?
Daggolin wrote:There are more maps and if you are interested timers can be added to other maps as well.
I could probably have phrased that better, but that's what I meant. ;)
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Ahh we already met! Welcome to the multiplayer! :)
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)