ShroomDuck's Introduction

New to the forum or to the game? Or a longtimer? Either way, tell us about yourself here!
ShroomDuck

ShroomDuck's Introduction

Post by ShroomDuck »

Hia!
My name is ShroomDuck, and I'm a 40 year old male from Canada, with a beautiful wife and two wonderful kids.

I own an advertising agency that's been running for almost 20 years now. We do a lot of things for many clients, but the most exciting thing lately is VR, and how we are using it for archviz. The business has grown quite a bit, and between managing employees, family time and personal projects, I have very little time for gaming.

I started playing JK2 a few days after it came out, and happened upon a server called LiCk. The admin was enforcing some rules on the server (basically just sabre down, no attack) and I thought that was pretty cool. I joined that clan, but they were involved in a lot of other games, and soon lost interest in JK2. So I founded a new clan: They Might Be Jedi (TMBJ). I made some maps. I became manager of jk2files.com (it's gone!). I really loved the game - but then...

Then people really started digging my maps. Some guy paid me $3000 to design a map for him. He was crazy. I needed money. I became a lot more well known and it started becoming an issue. I'd go onto a server and one of these things would happen:
- Everyone would line up to duel me, so they could say "I beat ShroomDuck!!!11onetwelve" (I prefer a good FFA myself)
- People would ask me if I was the real ShroomDuck, and I usually wouldn't answer. I had no interest in proving who I was. Just wanted to play.
- I'd be banned from the server for "impersonating ShroomDuck"

So I quit for a while, and stopped mapping. I returned, but mainly played using an alias. If you've played against PandyFackler, that was me. If you played against Gabrielle, that was me pretending to be an angry girl.

I worked on the game "Troopers: Dawn of Destiny" for a few years as lead art and level design (but also did some music). I was able to get Lucas Arts (after a number of meetings) to authorize the use of their IP for the game (we could use anything except for John Williams' music) as long as any money we made was donated to a charity chosen by LA. I opened the doors for other SW mods to exist (which were being shut down prior to this). The game was shaping up nicely. It was a first person shooter where players took on the role of soldiers at the front of the battles between Imperials and Rebels. We'd share our work with Lucas Arts frequently. They loved the idea of being at the front of the battle. Then they released Battlefront, where players took on the role of soldiers... I'm not saying I invented Battlefront, but someone should say something like that! (you're welcome EA!)

However, I'm the only one from the team that didn't end up working in the gaming industry. I was offered a few positions, but they were out of the country, and I knew if I wanted to, I could likely work for a company that was in my city: Silicon Knights. I went for an interview there, but turned it down after meeting someone I won't name. Then they stole Unreal Engine code and got sued and had to fire their 100 employees.

Now I fiddle with Unreal Engine 4, and imagine ways in which I can get rich off VR. Right now I'm building a Winery / Vineyard / Boutique Hotel that you can explore with the Oculus Rift. But what I really want to do is put a team together and do a VR version of Interstate '76.

So... that's my gaming life in a condensed nutshell. How are ya'll doing?
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: ShroomDuck's Introduction

Post by Daggolin »

Very nice and detailed introduction, thank you!
Quite interesting background story you have, I heard of things like the $3000 map, but most of the things you wrote are quite new to me.
However I do remember that people constantly asked you if you're the real ShroomDuck whenever you visited jk2, even in recent jk2 history.

Welcome and thanks for stopping by!
Oh and before I forget about this: thanks for all the amazing maps you made for jk2. ;)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

fake detected, ban pls. :lol:

well, this came quite unexpected :!:
nice introduction. When I play your maps in today there even is some nostalgic feeling around.

We are the die-hard JK2 fans who just won't quit jk2, no matter what happens. :lol:
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Welcome!
Happy to see you here! Nice to hear about your life, there was a lot of stuff I didn't know. I'm sure you'll make some cool stuff with VR, after all you invented Battlefront :P
The 3000$ map was quite an amazing read, and a good reminder of how important this game used to be :D For some people. With money.

Unreal Engine 4 is cool. An artist's and programmer's tool, and it seems to throw out nice games pretty often, like Rocket League which you might like. Personally I'm stuck with Unity for a while longer, but looking forward to learning UE4 beyond just visual scripting.
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

Ya, that $3,000 map kind of become an urban legend. But the way it went down was actually much more reasonable. I've been asked to make people maps about 1000 times; and that's not an exaggeration. I'd always brush it off, and encourage the person to make their own. Tell them that the tools are there, and it's not too hard to start on something simple, and grow from there. I said the same thing to [WoV]Hazel, and he said (and these are memory quotes as opposed to what was really said):
Hazel: I'm quite serious. I will pay you.
ShroomDuck: LOL. Sorry man, I only make maps for myself.
H: But you made that TMBJ clan map...
S: I created that clan. You likely have someone in your clan that can make your map
H: There are plenty in our clan that can map. But I want it to be different. I want to hire you.
S: Well my going rate is $50/hour (hoping this would make him go away)
H: And how many hours?
S: Damn, I don't know! It depends on what you want. 100? (again, hoping this would scare him away)
H: I will send you a down payment along with what is required for the map. I want you to do the things you do that make maps fun, but there are some things I need for the clan.
S: Are you serious? It's not even allowed. Like, it's against the TOS for the game.
H: But you can sell me textures right? So let me buy textures from you, and you make me a 'free' map.
S: That is a clever workaround.

My agency didn't have any employees back then, just me and my partner, and we billed out at $100/hour at the time (now we charge $150). When freelancing, I'd always cut the rate in half. He sent over his plans, and I figured it would take me about 60 hours or so to do the work. His plans were well thought out, and I did exactly what he wanted: added some fun and interesting game mechanics. He was specific about things like his clan meeting room, practice rooms (one for each sabre style), a judgement area (I had fun with that!) - but otherwise I pretty much had free reign.

When the map was done, he had everyone in his clan bow down to me in the grand audience chamber. It was... unsettling. This guy had such firm control over his clan. I've always run clans in a 'lead by example' way, and it was a bit of culture shock to see something that was more of a dictatorship. But, if it works for them and they have fun, who am I to judge?

I got a lot of flak for creating the map. But I also got paid. Hazel was very happy with the results, and with all things being relative found that it was good value for him. A lot of people would approach me in game and tell me I was crazy to charge for it. My response is generally: "Would you work for 2 weeks for free for a stranger?". What people didn't understand is that my business is all about time. The only thing I have to sell is my time. The time I have left over is MY time. If someone wants to take away from MY time, it costs them.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

ShroomDuck wrote:I returned, but mainly played using an alias. If you've played against PandyFackler, that was me. If you played against Gabrielle, that was me pretending to be an angry girl.
I'm sure no one had a suspicion!
shot0037.jpg
shot0037.jpg (168.99 KiB) Viewed 118019 times
ShroomDuck wrote:When the map was done, he had everyone in his clan bow down to me in the grand audience chamber. It was... unsettling. This guy had such firm control over his clan. I've always run clans in a 'lead by example' way, and it was a bit of culture shock to see something that was more of a dictatorship. But, if it works for them and they have fun, who am I to judge?
This made me laugh.
I think I remember some kind of "Dragon" clan or maybe something along those lines (someone correct me). They had a clan map in form of some kind of castle, and by the rumors, the leader would during his meetings drop members into a fiery pit of doom if they were kicked from his clan.
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

OMG! You found the Pandy Fackler reference. Hahah! I didn't think anyone would ever think twice about that. :D
This made me laugh.
I think I remember some kind of "Dragon" clan or maybe something along those lines (someone correct me). They had a clan map in form of some kind of castle, and by the rumors, the leader would during his meetings drop members into a fiery pit of doom if they were kicked from his clan.
Oh totally dude. He wanted me to have this glass box that a member would be in (and could not jump out of). Then there were buttons that were pressed that would open to a pit of doom, or set them free. This was the judgement hall. Crazy ass clans... ;)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

ShroomDuck wrote:H: But you can sell me textures right? So let me buy textures from you, and you make me a 'free' map.
:| :D
ShroomDuck wrote:A lot of people would approach me in game and tell me I was crazy to charge for it.
I think it's perfectly fine to charge for something like that.
It's really a lot of work.
But $3000 is really a lot and wouldn't it be worth for me. After all it's just a game. This guy must have been rich or something.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

I never understood what all the fuzz was about regarding that 3000$ map :lol: Sure it was technically not legal, but as it didn't affect other people in any way, then I don't see why people would be angry at you or anything; as you said, you were putting a lot of sparetime into making the map for them :) I don't think people realize how much work goes into creating good maps, mods, and so on :?

- Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you ingame! :D
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you ingame!
Thanks! All you kind people are making me look at dusting off my old JK2 disc. :D
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

ShroomDuck wrote:
Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you ingame!
Thanks! All you kind people are making me look at dusting off my old JK2 disc. :D
Glad to hear that :D When/If you do, remember to check out JK2MV now that you are doing a clean install anyway :) It is highly recommended :D
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

ShroomDuck wrote:Thanks! All you kind people are making me look at dusting off my old JK2 disc. :D
DO IT! :lol:
Chazzberry

Post by Chazzberry »

wow cool, never thought that the guy that made the maps i spent most of my time in was going to post here. nice intro and hi
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

lol i remember u in the olders servers, i think in 1.03 (2003-2004).

i will only say .... ♫ ♪ ♫ dont dont dont lets start,this is the worst part, could believe for all the world that ure my precious little girl ♫ ♪ ♫

:D
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Lelouch

Post by Lelouch »

ouned wrote:
ShroomDuck wrote:Thanks! All you kind people are making me look at dusting off my old JK2 disc. :D
DO IT! :lol:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

awesome awesome intro!!!!!!!!!!
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

ShroomDuck, if you seriously consider coming back and maybe even creating new stuff, the situation to gather a map/mods to play on a server has improved a lot. And your name makes sure it's going to be used anyway. :lol:

https://jk2mv.org/data/_uploaded/image/dlpopup.png
https://jk2mv.org/data/_uploaded/image/dlprocess.png
fou_original

Post by fou_original »

Apart from spending hours on the maps you created playing manhunt and what not, you also got me into the band ween, transdermal celebration is on my music list ever since u released the map of the same name. thanks!
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

fou_original wrote:you also got me into the band ween, transdermal celebration is on my music list ever since u released the map of the same name.
I also came across some cool Ween songs as a result of that map and the Boognish stuff.
ShroomDuck

Post by ShroomDuck »

ouned wrote:ShroomDuck, if you seriously consider coming back and maybe even creating new stuff, the situation to gather a map/mods to play on a server has improved a lot. And your name makes sure it's going to be used anyway. :lol:

https://jk2mv.org/data/_uploaded/image/dlpopup.png
https://jk2mv.org/data/_uploaded/image/dlprocess.png
Wow. JK2mv is awesome. My gosh. If they had of had this back in the prime days of custom maps, maybe there'd still be a large active player base. I've even been on a couple pre-1.04 servers, which are versions I have not played since before, well, 1.04! Very cool stuff.

However, I'm apparently still not ShroomDuck. I met this guy tonight, and he knows ShroomDuck. He was messaging 'him' on Facebook right there in front of me, which was proof that I'm not ShroomDuck. The night before, I was someone's cousin (and so obviously not myself). That same night, a conversation about how it can't be me because ShroomDuck is "Euro". You'd think after so many years...
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

ShroomDuck wrote:If they had of had this back in the prime days of custom maps, maybe there'd still be a large active player base.
yeah, but it wasn't possible until the release of the sourcecode.

Also, congratulations for turning into a currency. :lol:
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

ShroomDuck wrote:However, I'm apparently still not ShroomDuck. I met this guy tonight, and he knows ShroomDuck. He was messaging 'him' on Facebook right there in front of me, which was proof that I'm not ShroomDuck. The night before, I was someone's cousin (and so obviously not myself). That same night, a conversation about how it can't be me because ShroomDuck is "Euro". You'd think after so many years...
I am sorry, on behalf of the JK2 community, that this is what you come back to :| Not everyone's a complete goofhead, I promise...
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

ShroomDuck wrote:Wow. JK2mv is awesome. My gosh. If they had of had this back in the prime days of custom maps, maybe there'd still be a large active player base. I've even been on a couple pre-1.04 servers, which are versions I have not played since before, well, 1.04! Very cool stuff.
As ouned said something like jk2mv wasn't possible before the code release, but there have been several "mods" that added HTTP downloads through memory hacking the game. The jk2mf mod has that as well as an anti cheat system. In 2011 the LOL server in 1.04 only allowed players with installed anticheat to play on their server. That lead to situations where 32/32 slots were filled - 31 humans and 1 bot. Switching to custom maps with a full sever was daily business at that time. You would probably have liked it. ;)
However that was a "side-effect" of enforcing anticheat. Completely voluntary things like jk2mv are usually not as popular as the old enforced anticheats. On some servers like dark or tSL you can use /jk2mv-users to see who of the currently connected clients uses jk2mv. My dream is that one day everyone on a server got jk2mv or at least lots of custom maps so we can stop playing default maps non-stop and play custom maps with a full house again. :D

It is really sad how the community reacts when they see your name. We do have some "special cases" among the player base. But on the bright side all of this means that your work is still popular and your name a legend after all this time - your work had a huge impact on the game. I hope this doesn't scare you away from jk2 and we get to play with you again every now and then when you got time and interest to play. ;)
Puck

Post by Puck »

First off, I want to say this: this post and its recent timing is the actual reason I made an account.

It's weird to me to see a JK2 community after all these years, and it's even weirder to see ShroomDuck is still alive and well. Hello, old acquaintance.

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. Your maps were fantastic and added a je ne sais quoi to the game that made it a blast to play. I'm glad to see that you are doing well, and I hope to see you on the servers.
Testorossa

Post by Testorossa »

I actually made a account for the same reason and decided to search you and if you still played. Pretty cool to see you still play and was always a fan of your maps.

For everyone including shroom, head over to Star Wars Galaxies (Bloodfin Emu). It's 100% free and fun! That's where many of the Quake guys ended up
BuZz

Post by BuZz »

I feel like ShroomDuck's Intro"duck"tion woulda been killer.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)