Jedi Outcast Translation

Get support for anything JK2 related, find tutorials for in-game and modding topics, and post any suggestions for the site here.
HK-47

Jedi Outcast Translation

Post by HK-47 »

Hi, I began working on Czech translation for Jedi Outcast, but I have a problem with the font.

Jedi Outcast supports following characters:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬­®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ

For Czech translation I need some special characters which I need to add to font. Is there any way to do it?

Here are characters that I need (In the game, some characters are displayed correctly, but others I need to add):
Attachments
chars.png
chars.png (19.38 KiB) Viewed 42083 times
fau
Staff

Re: Jedi Outcast Translation

Post by fau »

JK2 fonts are for latin-1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1) encoded text. Czech characters can be found in latin-2 character set. If you replace the original font files with new ones supporting latin-2 encoding and use latin-2 encoding in your text editor, it will work.

I have the font creation/replacement process figured out and perfected so I may be able to help you with this. Give us some more info - is it translation for single player or multi? jk2mv or all clients? Do you want to replace one of existing languages like on your screenshot?
HK-47

Post by HK-47 »

It will be a complete translation of the original version of Jedi Outcast with 1.04 patch (Single Player and Multiplayer).

I think the best would be to keep all four original languages and add a new one. The problem is that if I change some characters in the font, it will change characters for other languages. It occurred to me to create a custom font, which could be switched when a player chooses Czech language.

I tried to rewrite some of the characters from the original font,
[attachment=1]chars_change.png[/attachment]

But I have a problem with correct display of text:
chars2.png
chars2.png (21.02 KiB) Viewed 42065 times
It it possible to create own font for single language with Latin-2 encoding?
Attachments
chars_change.png
chars_change.png (33.61 KiB) Viewed 42065 times
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

JK2 uses 3 main fonts: Ergoe Condensed Bold, A New Hope and OCR-A. I've got outline versions of all of them, unfortunately they don't contain Latin-2 characters so we need to do this manually. I see you've drawn Czech characters manually already for ErgoeC, now .fontdat files need adjusting too. I'll try to do this for this bitmap font you posted.

There is also console font but it's too unique. We just used a replacement in JK2MV, you may want to manually redraw few glyphs if you wish. Just remember that they will need rearranging on the charsgridmed.tga grid, because some characters existing in both Latin-1 and Latin-2 have different codes.
HK-47

Post by HK-47 »

Font which I posted is from my old translation. I will create new ones with right latin-2 encoding.

I created a test font for "A New Hope" with FontBuilder, which contains Latin-2 characters:
anewhope.png
anewhope.png (22.74 KiB) Viewed 42039 times
How can I put a font into the game with correct encoding and displaying?

All Latin-2 characters:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ Ą˘Ł¤ĽŚ§¨ŠŞŤŹ ŽŻ°ą˛ł´ľśˇ¸šşťź˝žżŔÁÂĂÄĹĆÇČÉĘËĚÍÎĎĐŃŇÓÔŐÖ×ŘŮÚŰÜÝŢßŕáâăäĺćçčéęëěíîďđńňóôőö÷řůúűüýţ˙

Thanks for the reply.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Sorry, I've been kind of lazy recently.
You can join our discord channel to remind me about it: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=609 :P
This "A New Hope" you created is a different font face. If you want to manually create missing Czech characters then we can use original and I will need to adjust .fontdat files. If you want to use fontbuilder and create new fonts, You'll need to use my modified version that generates .fontdat files for jk2.

I think you should go route #1. I think it will be easier for me to just do it rather than explaining what you should do (these are all extra glyphs you listed in first post, right?). You should consider pressing me about it on discord a bit :D
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Check out this ergoec font and tell me if you like Czech glyphs, letter spacing.

You must use ISO 8859-2 (Latin2) encoding when editing .sp files. Find a text editor that can do this, if you just edit them in notepad it won't work.
Attachments
ergoec-iso-8859-2.pk3
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 1470 times
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)