How to create player models?

Get support for anything JK2 related, find tutorials for in-game and modding topics, and post any suggestions for the site here.
Tom Arrow

How to create player models?

Post by Tom Arrow »

I have a 3d model of a character that I'd like to turn into a JK2 player model.

I found this tutorial: http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/spacemonkey/jk2.htm

But it's only for 3ds max. I would prefer not having to learn 3ds max, if possible. I currently work with CINEMA 4D. Has anyone experience with this software and whether or how I could use it to create a JK2 player model or someone who can tell me if that tutorial will work with my software too?
Boothand
Administrator

Re: How to create player models?

Post by Boothand »

You can do the modeling in C4D, but I don't think there are any glm exporters for it. You might have to do the rigging and exporting in Blender or 3DS max.

There's probably some tuts you could follow on JKHub, but don't have the time to search for them right now.
https://jkhub.org/files/file/1413-blend ... gin-suite/
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

Aight, guess I'll go with 3ds Max then. Thanks.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

If you do go with 3DS Max, maybe my tutorial on it will help you.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=111

Nowadays, I'd say go with Blender since it's free and there's a GLM exporter for it and it's my favorite modeling software.
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

Looks awesome, definitely gonna use that tutorial.

Just two questions:

1. You write 'add the following bones' - does that mean you are recreating the skeleton or only that you are creating references for the weighting for the real skeleton?

I assume you mean the latter. (Sorry, 3ds max noob)

2. Since the model I want to convert is already finished and has a fixed position, is it thinkable that I animate the skeleton as you suggest (With keeping the first frame) and thus make the skeleton fit the model and do the weighting in that state, and then just go back to the reference frame to have the model bend into the right shape?
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

1. Yes, add the existing bones into a list of bones to weight to, or something.

2. That sounds reasonable to me. Don't see why that shouldn't work. I'd save and do a quick test if it works!
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)