Q3MAP2 Conversion to ASE on Yavin Swamp loses water and tree models

Get support for anything JK2 related, find tutorials for in-game and modding topics, and post any suggestions for the site here.
Tom Arrow

Q3MAP2 Conversion to ASE on Yavin Swamp loses water and tree models

Post by Tom Arrow »

I am trying to get JK2 maps into a 3D program. This works fine with some maps, like ctf_yavin and cairn_dock1. See attached screenshots.

Now, I am trying to do the same with yavin_swamp. I decompile the BSP and inside GtkRadiant 1.5, I can see most stuff that I expect to be there. For instance trees, level structure, water, etc.

When I recompile into BSP with -meta and -patchmeta and then convert to ASE and then get the shit into my 3D software, all of this has disappeared. I think q3map somehow strips those entities (correct term?) out of the file. Any way around that? The current result is simply unworkable. Where there is ground and water, suddenly there is ... nothing. I estimate that not more of 20% of the level structure make it into the ASE.

Any ideas?
Attachments
cairn_dock1_3.jpg
cairn_dock1_3.jpg (461.25 KiB) Viewed 48779 times
ctf_yavin_converted_0003.jpg
ctf_yavin_converted_0003.jpg (624.06 KiB) Viewed 48779 times
Screenshot 2016-10-09 18.43.32.png
Screenshot 2016-10-09 18.43.32.png (1 MiB) Viewed 48779 times
Tom Arrow

Re: Q3MAP2 Conversion to ASE on Yavin Swamp loses water and tree models

Post by Tom Arrow »

Addendum: Actually, I was a bit imprecise.

The stuff is not entirely 'lost'. It's just that it simply has a kind of pinkish texture on it (which I have set to transparent here in the screenshot). This texture thing is called 'models_map_object'. In other maps, I have this too. For example, on ctf_yavin, this is where otherwise the sky bounding-box would be, so I can simply set it to transparent / delete it and I can put my own sky there.

But on yavin_swamp, it seems to replace the floor and also act like a 'wrap' around models which are not there.
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-10-09 18.57.23.png
Screenshot 2016-10-09 18.57.23.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 48776 times
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

That is a pretty yavin screenshot! Is that what you're aiming for (during motion)?
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

Thanks! I may need to tune it down a little in motion (long render times), but yeah, that's kind of what I want for an outro of a movie I'm working on. A few slowly moving cams through the SP maps. (Or maybe a few MP too, who knows)
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

A little update: I think this may have something to do with what is called 'caulk' textures, which maybe get fucked up during recompiling the decompiled .map. I tried stripping all the caulk surfaces out of the .map in GtkRadiant, but it no longer compiles (some kind of MAX_LEAFBRUSH limit thingy).
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

yeah thats what my guess would have been, all the caulk textures.
what exactly are you doing? decompiling the bsp to .map and then - with another tool - into a whateveritscalled cinema4d project? What is ASE?
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

I use q3map2 to decompile into .map, then I use q3map2 to recompile into bsp with -meta and -patchmeta, then I use q3map2 to convert into ase. Then I use the ASE Importer from JKHub (I think) for Blender to import the ASE into blender. From there I export it as an FBX, which I then import into Cinema 4D.
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

The interesting question is: Why do the caulk surfaces replace all the other surfaces? I think it has something to do with how the compiled works and the possibility (or fact) that the decompiling process is not very precise and fucks stuff up so it can't be recompiled, especially with a complex map like yavin_swamp.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

yeah the decompiler is far from perfect, that for sure.

cant say im surprised it doesnt really work with all these conversions :D
Tom Arrow

Post by Tom Arrow »

Well, all the entities I need are in the .map. The step that fucks it up (my guess) is the recompiling, which seems to use the caulk textures as a kind of 'mask' to discard a lot of faces. As I wrote above, I tried deleting all caulks, but then I hit some compiler limit. I tried to compile the radiant source codes (in the hopes of being able to change that limit), but I failed to get the source code to compile. Partly because I'm weirdly unable to install Microsoft's 2015 Build Tools..
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)