Two requests

Get support for anything JK2 related, find tutorials for in-game and modding topics, and post any suggestions for the site here.
Nemios

Two requests

Post by Nemios »

Hello to everyone and many thanks for this fantastic projects!

I've just registered to submit a few requests:

1) First Person Lightsaber
By setting "cg_fpls 1" one can play from a first person perspective with the saber. In facts, every time I install this wonderful game I bind a key to toggle the cvar
"bind F2 cg_fpls !"
Is it possible to add to the config menu this? It would be similar to how the single player part of the game already permits the PoW.

2) Single Player build
I searched the Internet and couldn't find a single build for the single player part of the game on Windows. OpenJK don't work really well with JK2.
Could you provide a simple build? I don't mind if you don't do any change to the original code, except obviously the CD check. I have 3 copies of the original game (first release, SW Best of PC and Steam) but would love to play in a portable way the SP part of the game too, without a CD inserted and without Steam.

Thank you very much for the attention.
Tr!Force

Re: Two requests

Post by Tr!Force »

Nemios wrote:1) First Person Lightsaber
By setting "cg_fpls 1" one can play from a first person perspective with the saber. In facts, every time I install this wonderful game I bind a key to toggle the cvar
"bind F2 cg_fpls !"
Is it possible to add to the config menu this? It would be similar to how the single player part of the game already permits the PoW.
Is possible, and easy to add (with some .menu format knowledges). So, i dont think It would be suitable for jk2mv, is more like for a "mod".

if u want it in a pk3 i can give u a little "extra" menu i made few years ago with useful hidden options (cg_hudFiles, cg_fpls, cg_thirdpersonrange, cg_fov, toggle console, messagemode, etc....
Nemios wrote:2) Single Player build
I searched the Internet and couldn't find a single build for the single player part of the game on Windows. OpenJK don't work really well with JK2.
Could you provide a simple build? I don't mind if you don't do any change to the original code, except obviously the CD check. I have 3 copies of the original game (first release, SW Best of PC and Steam) but would love to play in a portable way the SP part of the game too, without a CD inserted and without Steam.

This could be a good addition, but i dont think if make a single build for both is a good idea, maybe they can add an access button to the right bottom corner for both sp and mp, exactly how the steam osx version does.

"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Tr!Force wrote:
Nemios wrote:1) First Person Lightsaber
"bind F2 cg_fpls !"
Is possible, and easy to add (with some .menu format knowledges). So, i dont think It would be suitable for jk2mv, is more like for a "mod".

if u want it in a pk3 i can give u a little "extra" menu i made few years ago with useful hidden options (cg_hudFiles, cg_fpls, cg_thirdpersonrange, cg_fov, toggle console, messagemode, etc....
Ok, i can live with an extra pk3.
Tr!Force wrote:
Nemios wrote:2) Single Player build

This could be a good addition, but i dont think if make a single build for both is a good idea, maybe they can add an access button to the right bottom corner for both sp and mp, exactly how the steam osx version does.

When i said "could't find i single build" i meant "couldn't find any build". A separated exe would be fine, like the original game. Hopefully someone will do it.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

LOL that was ur problem... in that case i have one from SP (v1.03) compiled with cd check removed. i sent u via PM...

EDIT: about the extra options, i didnt found my old "extras" menu.. so ive made one for you in 5 min :lol: ... here is a pk3 with 4 aditional options to the current menu "controls -> others": 1st person lightsaber (cg_fpls), Private Chat (messagemode3), Hud Type (cg_hudfiles) and Field of View (cg_fov). extract the pk3 and place it in "base" folder
aaa.png
aaa.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1475058 times
Attachments
zzzExtraOptions.zip
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 23685 times
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Thanks dude, you are da man!

I bet I'm not the only one who could use the SP exe, so my suggestion to put it in the download area along with jk2mv is still valid.

Another idea came to my mind... put 3 more options to set:
g_saberGhoul2Collision
g_saberTraceSaberFirst
g_saberDamageScale

I'll give a look to your work with the pk3 to learn how to do it myself...
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Nemios wrote:Thanks dude, you are da man!

I bet I'm not the only one who could use the SP exe, so my suggestion to put it in the download area along with jk2mv is still valid.

g_saberGhoul2Collision
g_saberTraceSaberFirst
g_saberDamageScale

That isnt the goal of jk2mv... Jk2mv is mostly mp... Idk if in the future sp will be supported.

About the new 3 commands u suggest, u will not be able to use them, because these are server commands, no client commands, u need to be the server owner if u what use them (via rcon or console). That is why the most of server uses configuration files (cfg) to get executed automatically when the server launch.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Nemios wrote: g_saberGhoul2Collision
g_saberTraceSaberFirst
Just out of curiosity, what do these do?
I think the first one is supposed to use the actual saber blade geometry for collision (1.04 only), but can't recall if it actually worked like that.
How about saberTraceSaberFirst?
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:
Nemios wrote: g_saberGhoul2Collision
g_saberTraceSaberFirst
Just out of curiosity, what do these do?
I think the first one is supposed to use the actual saber blade geometry for collision (1.04 only), but can't recall if it actually worked like that.
How about saberTraceSaberFirst?
g_saberghoul2collision: if will make saber blocking lots more like SP and it'll be tons more accurate, your saber will only block if it is close or gets in the way of the other lightsaber. The characters wont just go into an animation but actually block the blow perfectly. It even increases blocking from behind (if you are doing a heavy overhead swing it will block from behind).

g_sabertracesaberfirst: When you go to do a normal slash, the game will first check if your saber is touching the other guys saber, the end result is that your slashes (even if they go right through the opponents body) if at the end it touches the other guys saber, it will do no damage, and will be counted as a block. For example, if someone does a lunge at you, they miss and naturally you'd want to turn around and hit them at their back-side, the end result is that even if you hit them from behind, and realistically your saber would've chopped them in half, they still block it off. Thus, with this option on, anyone has the ability to block the majority of the slashes aimed at them, even if they come from behind or from the sides. It means that everytime you try to hit someone, even if it is a well aimed one, it will most likely be blocked and therefore the duels degrade into series of random blocking and every once in a while.

both are implemented in 1.03 and 1.04 versions.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

It seems g_saberTraceSaberFirst is 1 at default in 1.02, and I haven't noticed something like that.

Not sure how it makes sense though, since all of this is calculated per frame - in one frame you hit their body, with no knowledge of their saber, and it counts as a hit to the back of their body. One or two frames after you happen to hit their saber, but the damage is already done in the previous frame.
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Tr!Force wrote:
Nemios wrote:Thanks dude, you are da man!

g_saberGhoul2Collision
g_saberTraceSaberFirst
g_saberDamageScale

That isnt the goal of jk2mv... Jk2mv is mostly mp... Idk if in the future sp will be supported.

About the new 3 commands u suggest, u will not be able to use them, because these are server commands, no client commands, u need to be the server owner if u what use them (via rcon or console). That is why the most of server uses configuration files (cfg) to get executed automatically when the server launch.
True, but I usualy set them myself since I usually host my battles... against bots :lol:
I understand it is not a priority for most people.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Nemios wrote:
True, but I usualy set them myself since I usually host my battles... against bots :lol:
u should create a server with the external binaries instead from ingame server creator. So u can load automatically a config file with all ur favorite commands. are u using windows, linux or osx?
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Tr!Force wrote:
Nemios wrote:
u should create a server with the external binaries instead from ingame server creator. So u can load automatically a config file with all ur favorite commands. are u using! windows, linux or osx?
Windows, but i prefer the ingame server creator so i can choose the map and mode on the fly, based from the mood. It's not really a problem. Set them once, set them forever. Besides, i'm experimenting with CFGs.

I know maybe i'm going a little too far with this but... Won't you do another little fix to the jk2sp.exe for me? :D It crashes if i set r_mode=-1 and set a widescreen res. Is it possible to apply the same fix of jk2mv.exe?

And the minimizer would be great too...
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Nemios wrote: Windows, but i prefer the ingame server creator so i can choose the map and mode on the fly, based from the mood. It's not really a problem. Set them once, set them forever. Besides, i'm experimenting with CFGs.

I know maybe i'm going a little too far with this but... Won't you do another little fix to the jk2sp.exe for me? :D It crashes if i set r_mode=-1 and set a widescreen res. Is it possible to apply the same fix of jk2mv.exe?

Well, if u preffer the ingame server creqtor, u can create a config file called "autoexex.cfg" in base folder with ur custom cvars, this config will run automatically at when the server starts :)

About ur resolution problem, u should use:
/r_mode -2
After that, u need close the game and launch again, that cvar will takes ur desktop resolution to apply in the game
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Tr!Force wrote:
Nemios wrote: Windows, but i prefer the ingame server creator so i can choose the map and mode on the fly, based from the mood. It's not really a problem. Set them once, set them forever. Besides, i'm experimenting with CFGs.

Well, if u preffer the ingame server creqtor, u can create a config file called "autoexex.cfg" in base folder with ur custom cvars, this config will run automatically at when the server starts :)

About ur resolution problem, u should use:
/r_mode -2
After that, u need close the game and launch again, that cvar will takes ur desktop resolution to apply in the game
Doesn't work, it sets the res to the equivalent of r_mode 3. Isn't the -2 setting what the fix is supposed to do?
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

@TriForce: He is talking about the single player. r_mode -2 only exists in jk2mv.
@Nemios: All of us barely have time to keep working on the things we are already working on. SP related things are not on any of our lists of things we have time for, nor want to work on. Why don't you look into OpenJK singleplayer? Last time I tried OpenJK singleplayer for JK2 it worked great. As they have combined the jk2 and jka singleplayer into one executable I don't see any reason to make another.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Daggolin wrote:@TriForce: He is talking about the single player. r_mode -2 only exists in jk2mv.
@Nemios: All of us barely have time to keep working on the things we are already working on. SP related things are not on any of our lists of things we have time for, nor want to work on. Why don't you look into OpenJK singleplayer? Last time I tried OpenJK singleplayer for JK2 it worked great. As they have combined the jk2 and jka singleplayer into one executable I don't see any reason to make another.
i forgot that :lol: (is in openJK Jk2 SP too) i got confused.

about openJK, he need to have the JKA game... i think he doesnt have. :|

anyways, @Nemios ¿are u setting width and height before r_mode? for example:

Code: Select all

seta r_customwidth "1366" 
seta r_customheight "768"
seta r_mode "-1"
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Actually I have JKA. But last time I tried openJK singleplayer for JK2 didn't work for me. From what I read, I thought one should build himself the DLL to run the game and I haven't the skills to do it. https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/tree/master/codeJK2
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Nemios wrote:Actually I have JKA. But last time I tried openJK singleplayer for JK2 didn't work for me. From what I read, I thought one should build himself the DLL to run the game and I haven't the skills to do it. https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/tree/master/codeJK2
You dont need to build or compile the whole code, just get it ready from current builds generated (remember to download the last version) http://builds.openjk.org/
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

jk2 support isn't enabled for the buildbots builds as far as i know
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Yep, you are right. I think it's disabled by default. But if you compile OpenJK with jk2 sp support it should be enough to put the compiled files into your jk2 for it to work.
Nemios

Post by Nemios »

Daggolin wrote:Yep, you are right. I think it's disabled by default. But if you compile OpenJK with jk2 sp support it should be enough to put the compiled files into your jk2 for it to work.
And that brings us to the very first post of the thread... I couldn't find any build of JK2sp! At least Tr!Force gave me one, but I think the game deserves an "official" open build for the SP part too.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Yeah, it's too bad that people are just asked to 'compile it' themselves. Most people don't know how and shouldn't need to know how.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

yeh, i compiled a simple jk2sp.exe for @Nemios but i cant start to fix things or share individually to users, maybe an standalone jk2 SP project instead the openJK one's would be better, becase not all of people had both games (jk2 & jk3)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

tried to build it for you but current revision seems to be broken^^
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Tr!Force wrote:yeh, i compiled a simple jk2sp.exe for @Nemios but i cant start to fix things or share individually to users, maybe an standalone jk2 SP project instead the openJK one's would be better, becase not all of people had both games (jk2 & jk3)
You don't need JKA to use OpenJO SP.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)