My suggesions how to revive JK2.

Get support for anything JK2 related, find tutorials for in-game and modding topics, and post any suggestions for the site here.
Hexes

My suggesions how to revive JK2.

Post by Hexes »

Hello guys,

Well after several years of break I came back to remember how damn fun was JK2! I spend several days on servers, met a lot of new people, done really good duels. And I came with some suggestions how WE can all work together to revive this game! All I know WE all must work together otherwise this won't work.

First step must be to unite all JK2 players in one place! How we can do this? First global communication platform for JK2, in this place JK2.INFO does the job, and who made it did really good job and I personally really appreciate about that, good job! But thats not enough! WE all need to spread this message to all players! Because what I see is that a lot of player don't even know about this forum existence!

Second step is to create Global server for JK2, not a clan server, not a personal server, not a specific game type server, just a Global server for all JK2 players, where could they meet new players, communicate with other and so on. Also it would be perfect for clans to spread and recruit new people. Like if you don't have clan and you want to join one, you don't have to visit pack of clan servers, you will see all activity in one server.

So for example if you want to play some CTF and you don't see any activity on CTF servers, you just go to global server, then with ask people maybe someone would like to play with you and with them you just move o specific server.

I think this must be a first steps how to unite all community of JK2, thats my suggestions!

I am looking forward to hear yours!

BR,
Hexes
fau
Staff

Re: My suggesions how to revive JK2.

Post by fau »

Well, my ideas were irc pickups and jk2world.net (at least when it comes to infrastructure/communication) but we're lacking manpower/motivation atm. Hope it will change later this year.

One server would be too much, but quakeworld has an integrated IRC/game client bot where you can send a global announce or message asking is someone wants to play and it will reach anyone on any server + ppl on irc + possibly other IM. There are obviously some anti-spam measures, but I don't remember what exactly. This can be done for jk2 too.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

First of all I have to agree that there is still a lot of players who don't know about jk2.info, but that's often due to people not really wanting to be bothered with stuff outside of the game. There is quite a few servers on jk2 1.02 and 1.04 that have bots to announce jk2.info, but still half of the people playing there have never visited or even heard of jk2.info, but as far as I can see that is slowly chaning and more and more people find their way to jk2.info. Automated announcements and bots don't do the trick, the only "effective" way is people telling other people to come here.

Your vision of a "united jk2" is exactly what we had in mind when we started working on jk2.info. This is a place for all parts of jk2 accross all versions. Everyone is welcome, no matter if they are from 1.02, 1.03 or 1.04, mostly playing ffa, ctf, tffa or something else. We want to unite them all. And we still have more plans for jk2.info. One thing we do want to offer soon are "clan sections". Giving clans the opportunity to have an own forum section on jk2.info could bring clans closer together and offer a central place for all of jk2 to get together and show new players the variety of clans. We haven't gotten to announce it or make the first sections, yet, but currently [DARK], tSL and nD are already in the que, wanting to move their activity to jk2.info.

I am afraid having "global server" isn't going to work out. If you have a few "main servers" there is many things to organise and think about. The biggest topic would probably be the administration of those "community servers". Someone would have to take care for the servers, but who should have the "right" (or "duty") to do so? Who should administrate the servers? How should the admins be decided on? And even more important, who is allowed to "tweak" the server? Adding little extras or removing annoying features? Lots of players prefer those little "extras" and some features (like dimensions) do have a huge impact on gameplay and variety. As someone working on such mods I personally want to keep working on such mods and as long as some of us do that on their own servers people will be very attracted to those "personal-" or "clanservers". If we want to do those things on the "community servers", who has the right/permission to do that?

But nice suggestions. I hope we can collect some more ideas and suggestions to improve jk2. :)
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Daggolin wrote: One thing we do want to offer soon are "clan sections". Giving clans the opportunity to have an own forum section on jk2.info could bring clans closer together and offer a central place for all of jk2 to get together and show new players the variety of clans.
Funny, I remember you calling it a useless feature of jk2world.net (maybe not that harsh, but something in the lines).
ManiaC

Post by ManiaC »

fau wrote:
Daggolin wrote: One thing we do want to offer soon are "clan sections". Giving clans the opportunity to have an own forum section on jk2.info could bring clans closer together and offer a central place for all of jk2 to get together and show new players the variety of clans.
Funny, I remember you calling it a useless feature of jk2world.net (maybe not that harsh, but something in the lines).
Jk2.info is not under the line of Daggolin...So even if he would not like the idea, there are still more ppl who also have a vote on decisions...We discuss things democratically and the majority wins...Like in this case i brought up the clan categorys and now we are going make them...
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Cool. Still don't understand why we're duplicating our efforts but it's your choice.
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Well you see guys where is the problem? We are not united! Like now everyone is trying to make something own. But maybe we just need to unite our powers and to build something one but big? I see jk2world.net is doing well too. Maybe jk2.info and jk2world.net should become one, but big?

Second question who would administrate Global server? Well democratically, for example each month people will vote for new admins or something. (its just a suggesions)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

fau wrote:Cool. Still don't understand why we're duplicating our efforts but it's your choice.
What's your suggestion?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

My suggestion was to use and work together on jk2world.net portal, but it was before jk2.info was even finished (I believe you were informed about it by Daggolin). By now you're probably too involved to switch.

It will be used later this year at least by 1.04 nf community, like jk2world.net phpbb forums were last year.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

jk2.info is working much better then expected. Switching and forcing people to re-register etc. would be a huge mistake.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

As I wrote, that was my suggestion before jk2.info was online and completed and you rejected it then. I'm not sure why, but from what I've heard you're going to reproduce a web portal functionality starting from phpbb.

On a side note, there is no need to re-register, I've sucessfully migrated previous phpbb users/forums and could do it again.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

fau wrote:As I wrote, that was my suggestion before jk2.info was online and completed and you rejected it then. I'm not sure why, but from what I've heard you're going to reproduce a web portal functionality starting from phpbb.

On a side note, there is no need to re-register, I've sucessfully migrated previous phpbb users/forums and could do it again.
I always thought your page was a bit of a mess; jk2.info seems a lot easier to navigate, and have less unnecessary stuff.

Also, back then your page seemed to appeal mostly to the 1.04 community, where jk2.info was made with the entire community in mind.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Kameleon wrote:I always thought your page was a bit of a mess; jk2.info seems a lot easier to navigate, and have less unnecessary stuff.

Also, back then your page seemed to appeal mostly to the 1.04 community, where jk2.info was made with the entire community in mind.
Well, I said I wanted to work with you. If you didn't like something we could make it better. I'm not much of a web designer and was missing some help in this department. Obviously a simple phpbb forum is easier to navigate at first sight, because it's just simple. I assure you everyone gets used to it quickly though. Have a look at some very popular gaming portals (http://hltv.org, http://teamliquid.net) out there. They are real mess :D

It still does appeal mostly to 1.04 community because all content was created by 1.04 community members. There was is no such requirement though, it's up to you what content is there. Having some powerful filtering capabilities helps (eg. everything on the front page has a hierarchical "community" field. You can easily add a global filter there, like the top bar on http://plusforward.net
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Also in case you're re-evaluating it right now, I've got a download section ready (http://postimg.org/image/ghs5hh6hx/), similar demo section, and few other features started.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

fau, at the time we talked jk2.info was already prepared and ready (as we told you) and the release scheduled. You don't stop 1 week before release, just because someone proudly tells you his concept would be far superior and you would horribly fail. Your suggestion wasn't really working on something together, but you wanted us to give up jk2.info and join jk2world at a time we already had the domain, things set up and only needed to properly "go online".

And I don't see a reason why jk2.info and jk2world can't co-exist (and possibly work together). After all the focus of jk2world is still 1.04 nf (mostly the polish part) and you just recently decided to expand (about the same time as jk2.info was made), but your "associates" (not sure if that's the right term) said there would be no plans for 1.02 and 1.03.

And regarding what Kameleon said ("working together" and making jk2world better) we did point out some things about jk2world - the loading times, the hard to use mobile version, ... - and so far you have not adjusted any of that (it has been months now).

However this whole conversation seems a bit "off topic" to me. I think it would be a lot more productive to get the people behind jk2.info and jk2world into a big Skype group (or similar) and to talk/write about things. Continuing on here is probably not leading anywhere.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Daggolin wrote:fau, at the time we talked jk2.info was already prepared and ready (as we told you) and the release scheduled.
I was responding to "can't tell people to re-register" part. You had put some work into it already and didn't feel like abandoning it. I can surely relate to that.
Daggolin wrote:You don't stop 1 week before release, just because someone proudly tells you his concept would be far superior and you would horribly fail.
I didn't say anything like that. Actually I wish you all the best like anyone else trying to do something for jk2. As you can see I promote jk2.info everywhere I can, including jk2world.net, my code repos and yt channel. I said that a portal has advantages over phpbb forums and I stick to this opinion.
Your suggestion wasn't really working on something together, but you wanted us to give up jk2.info and join jk2world at a time we already had the domain, things set up and only needed to properly "go online".
Well, that was my idea. How else do you merge two community sites? If you have something other in mind, like a split of duties, say it aloud please.
And I don't see a reason why jk2.info and jk2world can't co-exist (and possibly work together). After all the focus of jk2world is still 1.04 nf (mostly the polish part) and you just recently decided to expand (about the same time as jk2.info was made), but your "associates" (not sure if that's the right term) said there would be no plans for 1.02 and 1.03.
Well yeah, this is what happening right now and I'm just slightly disappointed, but it's not that terrible. We don't have plans about 1.02 and 1.03 because we are not 1.02/1.03 players, I know nothing about these communities and can't create content for/about them. Doesn't mean they are not welcome on an equal footing.
And regarding what Kameleon said ("working together" and making jk2world better) we did point out some things about jk2world - the loading times, the hard to use mobile version, ... - and so far you have not adjusted any of that (it has been months now).
Slow loading times are due to poor hosting and I'm not switching until we get some more traffic (should be soon). Didn't register that part about mobile version, can you write it again? On the other hand you had many more issues with it and I addressed them all.
However this whole conversation seems a bit "off topic" to me. I think it would be a lot more productive to get the people behind jk2.info and jk2world into a big Skype group (or similar) and to talk/write about things. Continuing on here is probably not leading anywhere.
Why not? Writing helps you organize your thoughts, be more self-aware and to the point. At least for me, I know there are "speakers" and "writers" :-)
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

fau wrote:
Why not? Writing helps you organize your thoughts, be more self-aware and to the point. At least for me, I know there are "speakers" and "writers" :-)
I think that regarding this topic it's easy to write things that are misunderstood or seem offending even if that wasn't their intention. Talking in a small group allows one to be more "open" and in case of misunderstandings they can easily be resolved with short explainations, without things appearing like "accusations" that remain on the forum forever, making one or the other look good or bad.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)