Temple Of Mechanism : Beta Test Event

Training, captain's game, tournaments and other events. If you want to gather some people, this is where to notify!
lil_binger

Temple Of Mechanism : Beta Test Event

Post by lil_binger »

The Temple of Mechanism ; Beta Test Event

Sunday November 22nd @ 8pm CET (Central Eoruppean Time) - 2PM EST (Eastern Standard Time

Download link updated due to technical problems

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0wzU ... sp=sharing

I've been working with Boothand and Daggolin (thanks a bunch guys) on the forums to officially hold a beta test of the, soon to be released,

Temple of Mechanism for JK2.

Come join the fun!

The server IP will be 185.7.199.7:31076. The server name is yet to be decided but, i've been told the name of the server will be identifiable to the map name in the server list.

Original parts of this map still exist from when it was first conceived back in 2005, totally redesigned to the masterwork it is today.

The day of the beta, I will Edit this post with a link to download the map file to join or find us in the server list and let JK2MV help ya out.

Note: the map for the test is subject to change once a final version is publicly released.

This map is tons of fun! And will make you want more!!! So keep your eyes peeled on this thread for further updates :)

Hope to see you guys there!
Last edited by lil_binger on 22 Nov 2015, 18:47, edited 4 times in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Temple Of Mechanism : Beta Test Event

Post by Boothand »

Will be there! This will be tested on 1.02 by the way, so look for the server in the 1.02 serverlist!
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Quit busy weekend, but I will try my best to make it in time. Can't wait to try the map. :)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Nice, this will be at 4pm to me here, (i only have 2 hours more than EST)

I will be there :D
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

+1
Valar

Post by Valar »

+1
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I can't wait to see what happens :)

I'm pretty happy with the last compile for the test. I received one last submission from Boothand to add to the map that "really ties the room together" to quote the Big Labowski hehe.

I have some ideas for at least one addition I have already started for the map but I am thinking, any more additions may have to wait for a v2. I've eliminated one problem I've been having recently that has been keeping some additions from being made. I may need to adjust a little bit before releasing a version 1 of the map which is one reason I have put some effort into organizing a public beta test. I've already found just a little thing or 2 that needs an adjustment and hopefully you guys testing can help me spot something else I have missed. If anyone would like to leave comments or suggestion for the map please direct them to the WIP thread on the forums.

I may make the map available for download just a little bit early so keep your eyes on the forums :)
Hexes

Post by Hexes »

Will try to be there :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

When someone is in the server, I cannot connect. I see others pinging out at 999 in the server list.

I am making a quick edit, I am hoping will fix. Some non-essentials may have to ( a couple triggers for the video games. I think the entity limit has been reached basically. There's a lot of stuff in this map, sfx, teleports, doors, 136 models, 114 fx_runners. I am compiling now to fix the problem, map name will be different just in case. I hope this will fix the problem for now or I will need to reduce some other stuff.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Map is amazing, like it at least as much as grandflaw, inncercity, expedition and tmbj. Contender for best map in jk2!
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

amazing map.
shot0001.jpg
shot0001.jpg (426.12 KiB) Viewed 101005 times
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

I think we all had a very good time :D Me and Faden are very enthusiastic about strafing the golf course, and would love a stand-alone version of that, without any changes apart from perhaps proper clips on some models. Are you using the autoclip spawnflag on some of them? Some of them have a little glitchy collision, and autoclip is bad, and creates lots of unnecessary and weird triangles.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Boothand wrote:I think we all had a very good time :D Me and Faden are very enthusiastic about strafing the golf course, and would love a stand-alone version of that, without any changes apart from perhaps proper clips on some models.
You forgot to mention me strafing with you Boothand. :P But other than that I agree. :D
Thanks for letting us try your map lil_binger. :)
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I had a great time with you guys. That's actually the longest I have been online playing at one time since 2008 maybe. Great input from everyone. Finding out the golf course sparked some interest is definitely a plus. I will get back to you guys with more.

No auto clips. only regular clips. just a misc_model. Nothing fancy. The torches I made are not models, and are not clipped. Boots Torches are in the dojo, training area and the bar. They do have clips. The flags are brushes in thermal golf. I could clip the torches I made as I see they could have a clip to help get around them with your guys input. I'll take a good look at it and I do have some ideas. You guys mentioned it also being fun for ctf also, so maybe I'll do a little something there also. I've got a few ideas.

I'm glad ya'll liked the temple of mechanism. I try not to disappoint :) I haven't looked yet but I was hoping it was still running.

One quesstion, I think I asked during the testing, should the golf stay in the map? Or, Maybe I can just make a standalone pk3 with golf, a jump track, and a ctf course?. Then use that spot for something else? or do u guys want it to stay in the main map and have a separate golf /jump / ctf pk3?

Did you guys like taking the council chairs away to have a spot to fight? Any suggestions for it u think would add another dimension to the map?
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Without answering all those questions, I think the golf course should stay in the map, but have a slim separate version as well. You probably don't really need to make a jump track (like a new one), the golf course is already a great jump track (mostly because it was never meant as such).
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

You don't think I should just tweak a little bit here and there in a couple trouble spots?

One reasoning for asking the question....people can make the sound to activate quite a lot. I can put a little more wait time on the sound but I wouldn't want to put too much wait on it.

I could localize the sound to the hole if it was a separate map. It would take too many target speakers to localize the sound for each hole which are another entity each and we had some entity connection problems with the map today. As long as it's not abused it's okay but is something to pay attention to.
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Whether you tweak it or not are up to you, but keep the golf course in :D Always great fun :D
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Yeah, it wasn't a problem until someone got curious and shot the holes with a blaster repeatedly (for a bit too long time) :P
Maybe increase the wait time a a tad.

By the way, some of the textures I reported missing, could be seen by others, like Faden. It's probably because I had the old temple version from May in my base, by accident as well.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I didn't have the old temple, but I could see the textures. Probably from some other pk3 like the ShroomDuckIncMapPack or Forest_House (assuming the textures are in there).
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I was talking to Dagg late last night when I was looking into the texture thing. GTK didn't show any shader or texture coming from a different source. The shader was pretty much as it should have been I did switch it out for another shader which was pretty much the same however now the wood will sound like wood in JA. Too bad JO doesn't have as many sounds for q3map materials. In Ja the sand will sound like sand when you jump on it, wood sounds like wood. All the materials are there in the shaders but Jk2 defaults them if it doesn't know what material the texture is. This will help making a JK3 version though and will add another dimension to the map for jk3. The jump glitch won't work with jk3 but I could only imagine how much people would like to grapple in this map to get around for that game with a certain popular mod.

I can't thank you guys enough for yesterday. I couldn't be happier with the turnout or the responses I got from everyone. All the bugs have been fixed that were pointed out during the test minus the entity connection problem. I will try to fast track this map and get a v1 out asap. Anything beyond that I will make a v2. The main thing now is to reduce the entities but keep the same functionality to the map. I've got some ideas though so I will get to work on it very soon.
Milka

Post by Milka »

Awesome map,
and the thermal-golf-course is kinda owning!
thermal golf .png
thermal golf .png (2.28 MiB) Viewed 100939 times
"...feed the rancor with grenades..." :lol:
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Nice picture there Milka. Good timing on that screenshot. And thanks for coming to the event too.

Daggolin suggested we run another test. After a few things I have changed already. One more test may be warranted because a few things have changed. I think all the bugs are fixed that were pointed out during the testing and I found more little bugs just yesterday editing the map. Every time I look around I find something so it was a tremendous help for you guys to have a look. I will try to get a test going for this weekend. After all the work I did yesterday, I think it has only made the map much better and I can't wait to see everyone's reaction.

The next test, I should have the golf separate in a different map as suggested during the last test. Basically the only thing holding me back is the fire and the statues. Fire is gone and I tried to use a different texture that would glow, but I may need to make a new texture and shader or replace the statues at the start point. Also holes now have numbers but they are a little dark.

Some good news on the map. I basically couldn't get away from my computer yesterday. I've reduced many entities in the map to help the connection issues. It was great to hit that limit for the beta because I know now where that limit is. I knew the entity limit wasn't far off but I had never had anyone join a server to test it. A trick for Jedi Academy is you can add NPC's to give you an idea of where that limit is. I've added many bots in JK2 but after the test, the bots don't seem to count. I believe every player is 2 entities, the player and the saber. So a 16 person server, that's 32 entities. The _beta version only 1 person could connect. I've gone through the map with a fine tooth comb to reduce the entites in the map keeping as much fire as possible. I started the map only wanting to light it with natural light sources but for JK2, sadly a bunch of fire had to go. I have also reduced here and there some models, some triggers and a couple elevators, a couple other efx runners, a couple patch_corners in the river etc.

More good news, by reducing entities (fx_runners from 120 to about 60 now and other reductions), there are more new areas already. The new areas are old areas from the map. I trimmed the fat off of the map, deleting a few areas I brought in from ffa_khomm. I have done some work on them for mechtemple but at one point I decided to restructure a few things and they weren't necessarily needed. A couple days for the test, the dojo under the temple , with swords on the wall, I had a platform there made for a different map but I decided it didn't fit. I wanted to replace it for the test but didn't have the time. That area is vastly expanded now with access to a couple of the areas I deleted previously.

Overall progress is going well. And when I get excited about something I seem to type or talk a lot about it :P So, sorry for the long post. (Just ask Boothand, he knows lol).

This weekend I'd like to set up another test if I can and will keep ya'll posted (pun intended)
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

lil_binger wrote:And when I get excited about something I seem to type or talk a lot about it :P So, sorry for the long post. (Just ask Boothand, he knows lol).

This weekend I'd like to set up another test if I can and will keep ya'll posted (pun intended)
Heheh!

It's entirely possible I could make you some.. uhm, more realistic looking swords/weapons for that dojo wall :D Unless you're happy with the way they look. And while (if) I'm on it, I might put a horse head onto a trophy.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Sounds good Boot. I had at one point asked people at JKhub to help but nobody responded. I sent you the map file a little while ago so you should see the locations etc and the size of the location. I made them quick and didn't put a lot of time into them except for one with the cool edges I would like to keep. Or, the dojo could use more weapons maybe so I could add yours to those existing or replace them.

You wouldn't need to make a horse head mount exactly though. I love the antlers, you could however work with the texture for the antlers a little bit. I've been editing some textures and making new ones to place and I did make a texture for a sign for the antlers. If you do put some work into a horse head I'd love to see it. Maybe I'll like it better than the antlers. Or I could place it in the room at another spot. I've made signs for the rooms to help identify them some; Green Room, Purple Room etc. They have diff colored lights so naming them one or another may help a bit help people find the room they are looking for easier. The antlers do make for a great centerpiece though.

I am getting ready to edit the map a bit more now. Making textures and re-doing the levelshot are done. I've got a level shot for golf now for it to be separate too. Just holler if u need anything.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Oh yeah, while I am thinking about it.....

There are lots of other stuff in the shaders for the map that aren't being used.

One of those shaders is a test I was making for some cattails. I haven't gotten around to making them better. If you boot or someone else wants to take a look or make a new one, it would be really cool. I was making them for the main area. Basically a texture sprite. I'm not a shader genius though.

There's more stuff in the shaders too like a rotating shader to make a UFO look like it's spinning. A vulture and eagle (I plan on bringing one of the birds back). One of the shaders in there also is a liquid which creates a cloud above the surface which is really kool but the texture must be somewhat small or the cloud looks a little bright.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)