Temple Of Mechanism : Beta Test Event

Training, captain's game, tournaments and other events. If you want to gather some people, this is where to notify!
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Temple Of Mechanism : Beta Test Event

Post by Daggolin »

lil_binger wrote:Some good news on the map. I basically couldn't get away from my computer yesterday. I've reduced many entities in the map to help the connection issues. It was great to hit that limit for the beta because I know now where that limit is. I knew the entity limit wasn't far off but I had never had anyone join a server to test it. A trick for Jedi Academy is you can add NPC's to give you an idea of where that limit is. I've added many bots in JK2 but after the test, the bots don't seem to count. I believe every player is 2 entities, the player and the saber. So a 16 person server, that's 32 entities. The _beta version only 1 person could connect.
Sorry to say, but I am not sure it is the amount of entities itself. I rather think it is the size of the "message" the game has to network when a player connects (this consists of the entities, but I am not sure "invisible entities" count to this limit and I don't know if all entities count the same). So I am not sure you can rely on those numbers. :/
lil_binger wrote:Overall progress is going well. And when I get excited about something I seem to type or talk a lot about it :P So, sorry for the long post. (Just ask Boothand, he knows lol).
I am probably worse regarding long posts and such - just ask the poor Boothand. :lol:
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I'm reducing stuff all around basically. Not just one type but everything.

The stools in the bar are models. 4 of them now remade with a brush. I did leave the table models.

Reduced the train path by a couple corners.

The statue models in the middle underground area are gone replaced with something else I like better. It makes that area stand out better so that is -8 models and -8 fx_runners for fire and a +1 for map astetics.

There were 2 long and tall elevators from the council area above with the tv rooms. 2 triggers each, 2 delays each and 2 door / elevators each all gone. They really weren't needed. The holes are there to jump down and there is no fall damage. And there are 2 random teleports close by when you land. So, no reason to use the elevators to go back up really. I have used them when testing but when I am just jumping around checking out stuff I rarely take the time to use the elevator to go back up.

Also the teleport and door under the Rancor....the trigger, that triggers the button that triggers a relay that triggers the door to open, just to get to the teleport with the red eyes...that wasn't really necessary either. The teleport is still there and I have used the same teleport trigger now in another area. So I have removed a few things there. That area I had tested having a rancor inside that area and you would have to fight past the rancor to get to the teleport. After testing with a rancor, rancors don't like the steps in front of it. Rancor NPC's don't like anything but a perfectly flat surface. Therefore, that area just never worked for a rancor and I haven't changed it since until now.

There is some other stuff here and there not mentioned.

I think I am on the right track with what I am doing. Currently the map is 16780 brushes. Expedition I think was over 21k. I don't expect to hit 18k brushes for the release. Maybe a little over 17k total. I do not know entity numbers offhand for expedition so I have no stats there. I think expedition did have values on the readme which is where I remember the rough brush count number. I know I could do a better job of lighting the map. I just haven't given it a thorough look yet.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

I am just saying, maybe you didn't have to remove the path_corners (maybe they don't count to that limit) and if they don't count the misc_model probably don't count either. The game code actually does NOT have a misc_model it spawns ingame I think. As far as I know the models are compiled into the map when you compile the map so there isn't really a way to remove models later either - that means they are NOT entities.

Maybe that is something we can look into together some time. It would probably be better to know what really "takes the place" and what doesn't. Maybe it all does, but I doubt misc_model do and I am not sure, about path_corner, but I don't think so.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Mainly the models I deleted are underneath and with additions I like the area better. The 4 at the bar. I could have left them. I like the replacements however. I haven't looked in game yet.

I am currently in the bar and I've added a small stage near the dance floor opposite of the hot tub. I'm recreating my drum set somewhat and I've got some PA speakers and mic stands. I plan on adding a light bar, guitar cabinets. Maybe a guitar and stand.

The patch corners that are gone, I maybe moved the next path corner just a few units and got rid of one that doesn't make a noticeable change to the lilly's and tire. I like the path as it is, and I'm not trying to delete stuff just to delete stuff.

I am pretty sure that fx_runners do count. The only difference between _b2 and _b3 was the fire. Removing them allowed more people to join, otherwise if they didn't count there would have been no difference to how many people could connect, which was good to know thanks to everyone who participated.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

It's safe to assume misc_model is not an entity. It gets baked into the map geometry by the compiler, unless you use JA's 'static' model. I don't think you have that option for JK2 though. As for path_corners I don't know, but since they are more than just world coordinates and have spawnflags associated with them, I think it makes sense that they are entities that count.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

I did identify another mapping bug for jk2. The new area I made is far below the main map. I purposely extended it below the 0 axis to cause a bug where you hold jump and walk up an angle and you will mysteriously float into the air. Well the way the map is built for one reason or another, this bug didn't happen. What did happen, I could no longer walk up to a wall and backflip off of it. I could still wall walk but I couldn't wall flip which may cause problems fighting someone.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

That sounds incredibly strange. I know many maps below 0 Z that don't have issues with wallrun, wallkicks etc.
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Okay, I have tested it now after moving above the 0 axis. Wall flipping facing a wall is still not working. Side flipping works and wall walking is fine. I am not sure what is causing the problem but I will look into it and get back to you.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Boothand wrote:It's safe to assume misc_model is not an entity. It gets baked into the map geometry by the compiler [...]
https://github.com/mvdevs/jk2mv/blob/ma ... cal.h#L723 :!:
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

Thanks for finding that ouned.

Wall flipping crisis averted. I tested another compile, and i opened the console and saw a little 1.04 chat icon above my head and thought ahh ha!

I've been testing the last couple times with 1.04 without paying attention. I tested in 1.02 with no problems whatsoever.

I'm smart but I am also stupid :P

I think most everything up top is basically done. Down below is close. Maybe a couple more hours of work and I might have something ready. The main thing below is just to adjust some lighting. It looks good but is a bit dark.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Got started on something you can use, after I've done some more on the textures. Also making these for a project on my own, unrelated to JK2.

lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

looks good.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)