where can i buy a jka server?

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
Acrobat

where can i buy a jka server?

Post by Acrobat »

want a server for beta testing,etc
Kevin
Administrator

Re: where can i buy a jka server?

Post by Kevin »

I've heard these servers should be really good! :)

https://jka.io/

The guy who manage it also has an account here on the forum I believe :)
Valar

Post by Valar »

Yes I agree with kameleon, get one from Caelum.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

yep, get it from Caelum
Caelum

Post by Caelum »

Thanks for the recommendations guys :)

@Acrobat are you the same Acrobat renting a JKA server from me? If so, poke me with a stick and I'll set up a JKO server for you as well (10 eur/month). Or use the same order form; I don't have a seperate page for JKO yet (coming later this year), but if you order as normal and tell me you want a JKO server when I get in touch, I'll get jk2mv running. :)
Lelouch

Post by Lelouch »

an alternative to the previous answers (not to say caelum is a bad option):
it's very easy to self-host a server on a VPS, especially if you are on a budget (or no budget)
you can use the free tier on amazon aws for 1 year (which is entirely free) and host a server. (miso knows a lot about this, or pm me for help)
also, I have a VPS with pretty good specs (way over what is needed for a jk2/jka server) and an insane amount of bandwidth (like 8tb per month) for about $20 a year.

Miso made a tutorial for hosting on linux here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=484
It's very straight forward and if you can't figure it out, there's a lot of technical people here to help :)
(very depending on your computer abilities lol)
Overall:

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend the VPS route as it's easy to set up, a lot more affordable, and you have basically complete control over your servers (once your first server up, the rest is a breeze and will be from that point on). You can be hosting a jk2/jka server on the same VPS and pay the same rate. In my opinion, if you have a brain and willingness to learn a bit, this is the better path if I were asking this question (not to mention support from quite a few people who already do this). This site has TONS of amazing deals, but you need to do some research because some are sketchy: https://lowendbox.com/. But then again, definitely try out AWS because it's free if you are going this method. If you do prefer this, then get a VPS after the 1 year trial ends or you just want to spin up a lot of servers at once.

If you absolutely hate computers and are terrified of any command prompt/terminal command, definitely do not bother with a VPS. Caelum's route is obviously the better choice here. You'll probably get near instant setup and uptime you never have to worry about. (disclaimer: I know nothing about the service and have no idea what it offers). So go with this option if you are lazy, computers scare you, or you just want to support someone in the community (jkhub is pretty cool).

again, just presenting other options ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NubSmoo

Post by NubSmoo »

I use that site too but even cheaper is lowendspirit :P
{Nub} Ownz Your Face!
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)