DeFrag 1.02

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
silver

Re: DeFrag 1.02

Post by silver »

Daggolin wrote:The 1.04 server has a "test mode" for maps to not save any times for beta maps. So I don't see any reason why anyone needs direct access to timer data. The server can handle those internally, without the risk of anyone accidently messing things up via FTP.

And regarding FTP for maps, miso already has that FTP data for a long time and I already said to dash that I would be fine giving him access to upload maps and settings to the server as well.

Regarding the hosting of multiple servers, I wouldn't see a reason to explicitly limit the second server to a specific mode or group of maps. Both servers could run the same set of maps and modes, they would just need an adaption to prevent writing to the same timer on both servers at the same time (for instance server1 could refuse switching to a map that is currently run on server2 and print the IP:Port of the second server instead). That way the servers could be used for any maps or any mode by anyone. And if required one could even consider adding a third or fourth instance.

And the server prints your time, no matter if you were logged in or not. It only stores your time if you logged in though.

overall sounds nice regarding the test mode can clients enable and disable it? or does it need admin/rcon? because thats exactly what i mean if it does need admin thats kinda annoying because most maps literally only need 10 minutes beta testing imo
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

silver wrote:
Daggolin wrote:The 1.04 server has a "test mode" for maps to not save any times for beta maps. So I don't see any reason why anyone needs direct access to timer data. The server can handle those internally, without the risk of anyone accidently messing things up via FTP.

And regarding FTP for maps, miso already has that FTP data for a long time and I already said to dash that I would be fine giving him access to upload maps and settings to the server as well.

Regarding the hosting of multiple servers, I wouldn't see a reason to explicitly limit the second server to a specific mode or group of maps. Both servers could run the same set of maps and modes, they would just need an adaption to prevent writing to the same timer on both servers at the same time (for instance server1 could refuse switching to a map that is currently run on server2 and print the IP:Port of the second server instead). That way the servers could be used for any maps or any mode by anyone. And if required one could even consider adding a third or fourth instance.

And the server prints your time, no matter if you were logged in or not. It only stores your time if you logged in though.

overall sounds nice regarding the test mode can clients enable and disable it? or does it need admin/rcon? because thats exactly what i mean if it does need admin thats kinda annoying because most maps literally only need 10 minutes beta testing imo
Even if it required a certain admin command, Daggolin could just give the beta testers a custom command set with access to that command, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if I know Daggolin enough :D
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Whenever an FTP admin uploads a new map he/she needs to create a config file for the map to specify the settings and enable the timers on there. The same config specifies whether it's in test mode or not. So along with the pk3 the FTP admin uploads a small text file and that specifies the map settings. And as long as the map is flagged as test map it can be voted and played, but it will warn you that it doesn't save times when you join. So once the testing is done the FTP admin can just disable the test map flag for the map.
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)