Why instacounter breaks 1.02 NF dueling

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
Boothand
Administrator

Why instacounter breaks 1.02 NF dueling

Post by Boothand »

Whether this guy is testing cheats or not isn't that relevant, I think this proves my point about instacounters in general.
I believe I have a serverside mod lying around called 'Consistent Sabers', which removes this and removes random chance to fail blocks. Worked fine last time it was tested. If anyone think that sounds interesting, give a toot.

fau
Staff

Re: Why instacounter breaks 1.02 NF dueling

Post by fau »

There is something similar in JKA I believe. Not sure how it works exactly, it happens when you're not supposed to be able to block/continue combo anymore. Nod is the master of this style.

But is it really this instant here, or just quick blue counter?
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

It's a red counter, and it's done by clicking attack right after you block an attack. So you trade a low chance to get hit (20% chance vs red style, guaranteed block vs any other style) with an unreasonably high chance of instantly hitting the opponent (100 damage). The counter tactic is to be patient and try to hit around the saber defense altogether, but this isn't for most JK2 players, in my opinion.
The guy in this video (Giz) seems to be testing out some auto-insta counter cheat (if I'm wrong, call me a wooden stool).
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Yes, it must be the same as in JKA. I've seen a guy there showing me how you can change block/counter mechanics by <censored, ask on irc>. Afaik there is nothing like this in 1.04. There are counters which are probably random, but they are slow enough to react (even blue ones if you're careful).
Miso

Post by Miso »

Reminds me of parrying, except since in 1.02 red stance does like 100hp per swing and the rdfa basically insta kills, I knew this would be some sort of issue. Not sure what can phase through the block and what can't
Jj.miso
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)