jkmv vs openjk race

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
Acrobat

jkmv vs openjk race

Post by Acrobat »

Ok so either jkmv is going to include jka or openjk is going to advance to include all of jk2 as well.

Whichever one comes first will become the mainline vehicle.

Just letting you programmers know that if you aren't fast enough to include it then that program loses out.
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: jkmv vs openjk race

Post by Daggolin »

I am sorry, but I really doubt that either jk2mv or OpenJK are going to support the other game anytime soon - if ever. I am aware that OpenJK originally thought (and probably still thinks) about supporting jk2 as well, but jk2mv has no plans to support jka (which is why we called it jk2mv and not jkmv).

However I don't think that - if one supported the other game - they would really compete. The main focus of jk2mv is to provide updates and new features for all versions of jk2, doing things in the process that OpenJK avoided so far. And when we started working on JK2MV we talked to several people involved in OpenJK (on #jacoders) and we were told that supporting 1.02 and 1.03 of jk2 would be no option for OpenJK on jk2. OpenJK even went further away from jk2, as they removed the rests of QVM support left in JKA. And jk2 heavily depends on qvms, as there is barely any non-qvm mods and those who aren't are usually hooking into the engine, thus making them incompatible as well.

And honestly I don't see any competition or race between jk2mv or OpenJK. Both are open source projects and both can support each other. OpenJK developers actually reported issues on jk2mv (Ensiform) or helped with the post processing gamma method (Xycaleth). And ouned has contributed a few commit to OpenJK. So I really don't see any rivality or race against each other. If anything both projects help each other.

We have no interest in porting jk2mv to jka and I doubt it will change any time soon. And if OpenJK decides to support jk2 that is fine with us, too. Leaves more options for people to choose from and gives them an alternative to what we provide. The only thing I am concerned about is compatibility. For instance if OpenJK decides to support jk2 and http downloads I would hope for both projects to have compatible download mechanics for the convenience of users - anything else would really split the community as servers would be using different serversides and clients would have to adapt to whatever server they play on.

So I guess your race is cancelled. ;)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Even if it happened, who cares? I'd end up working on openjk (the jk2 part only) then. This is not a war.
But it won't happen. They are lacking too much of our actual user-visible features and ease of use.

Openjk should be called openjka to clarify its actual target.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

OpenJK has jk2 singleplayer which is probably used by wider audience than mp so I'm fine with them using openjk name, we aren't called jk2mpmv neither :-)
We've ported many patches and bugfixes from them so we must give them credit for that.
OpenJK is never going to make it in jk2 multiplayer simply because they dropped qvm support. I've been playing JKA a bit recently and I must say, I'm missing jk2mv features and stability there. For stuff like speedrunning, most jka maps work with jk2mv already.

PS qvm mods + http downloads are a killer feature. Currently you can connect to any jk2 server with any map or mod and start playing right away without any manual configuration. They can't do it in openjk simply because downloading .dll libraries from servers would be a HUGE security risk for users.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

does the jk2 single player mode of openjk even compile?
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)