What is your average FPS in JK2?

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
imrightyourleft

What is your average FPS in JK2?

Post by imrightyourleft »

Just out of curiosity, what do you generally cap your FPS at and what is your optimal setting?

For example, I experience my best gameplay with my frame limiter capped to default at 85fps. During heated, busy or intense gameplay moments my frame rate does not drop below 69fps.

Could you share some of your frame rate experiences please including how any mods or other settings you are using are affecting your FPS?

Cheers.
Tr!Force

Re: What is your average FPS in JK2?

Post by Tr!Force »

i have set the max fps limit in 120. (com_maxfps) and video settings in High. so i have 125 fps all the time (weird if i set max as 120 lol)

sometimes i have between 97 and 117 with a server with 10 players or more in a small map, or if i use rain mod and firesaber, but o dont have more than 3 o 5 fps loss with these.
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
imrightyourleft

Post by imrightyourleft »

Tr!Force wrote:i have set the max fps limit in 120. (com_maxfps) and video settings in High. so i have 125 fps all the time (weird if i set max as 120 lol)

sometimes i have between 97 and 117 with a server with 10 players or more in a small map, or if i use rain mod and firesaber, but o dont have more than 3 o 5 fps loss with these.
Ah, cool mate, I see. Thanks for sharing that. You probably have a more powerful system than mine. Although I would say that anything at 60FPS or above is more than enough to play this game at its best.

I wonder how your frame rate differs in SP to MP or if it would remain the same high at 120FPS in the heavy battle scenarios (in SP).

I also wonder if anyone is playing this game at anything below 60FPS, would be interesting to know what their experiences are.

My PC is able to reach 120FPS but still dips occaisionally to 70FPS in SP intenes battle moments, so I just leave it at default (85FPS) so that there is not too much of a big drop. Not sure about MP I'll have to test it more.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

can u tell me what things i can test in SP? (scenarios or something)

i have another 2 PC to test, i can try in these (theyre normal pc).
"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Well, JK2 'breaks' before I get FPS loss with this computer. I think most people have noticed in multiplayer that if you play with lower fps like 30 or 60, the camera behaves differently. Lags behind, and doesn't feel good. Though modern games look smooth in 60 fps, Jk2 has some side effects that aren't enjoyable, despite it running at 60 frames. I cap mine at 125, and people who are more into CTF might cap it at 142, since fps actually affects physics in this game.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

I defenitely feel the difference between 60 and 120.
It also fixes teering to some degree.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Even though your eyes theoretically can't see more than 60 fps the gameplay in quake3 based games is fps-dependent (rounding issues). That means depending on your fps your jump-height, velocity, etc. are different. A bit more on that if you are interested: http://www.psycco.de/125fps/UpsetChaps% ... umping.htm

Personally I have my max fps set to 125 most of time in multiplayer. I am not sure what I usually used for single player (I rarely play singleplayer), but single player gameplay and movement were different. I am not sure whether SP has fps-dependent gameplay or not.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Daggolin wrote:Even though your eyes theoretically can't see more than 60 fps
i definitely do. At least on JK2 an experienced player should see the difference (compared to 120). I have no idea why though.
And I'm not talking about physics.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

Well. The whole game behaves different when you have lower fps. You do see the whole game "lag" if you have low fps. It doesn't feel as fluent cause your game isn't that fluent. Probably you are at the maximum of what your eyes can see, but the game is "laggy" and the character keeps skipping moves/frames. So it's the actual game stuttering, not the 60 fps.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

It's the syndrome you can see in videos like this which was automatically recorded and uploaded with 30 fps or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAOWH8hLl8
To untrained eyes it wouldn't be too much of a difference of course, but the gamefeel is very different until you go above 90 fps or so.
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Few corrections:
1. id tech 3 engine can only run at 1000/n fps (eg 1000/8 = 125, 1000 / 9 = 111/112, 1000/10 = 100). Ofc it can jump between these values.
2. Human eye is not a shutter camera and doesn't work by having constant "frame rate". Even if it was, high fps provides artificial motion blur that helps detect motion in a split second and makes everything look smoother.

I'm used to playing at 125fps, although my current hw can only make it on empty server, in 1v1 games :( That's a pity, considering my monitor runs at 160hz
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

fau wrote:considering my monitor runs at 160hz
wat
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

That's nothing impressive, you can get 200hz with proper hw :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

but not with LCD's i guess?
fau
Staff

Post by fau »

Obviously you need a superior technology for such refresh rates.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

CRT detected
800x600 pixels ? :P
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)