Does anyone still play SP?

General topics about Star Wars or Jedi Knight II.
imrightyourleft

Does anyone still play SP?

Post by imrightyourleft »

This post is about keeping the SP version of JK2 alive. If you play MP only and have no interest in SP, you may want to avoid this post.

I'll be honest, IMO I've never 'got' the whole MP thing really. Okay, I do get some enjoyment from it, but that enjoyment is minimal compared to the satisfaction I get from playing SP.

It's why, throughout the past several years of playing JK2, I've tried through graphical and gameplay mods (not mods of my own) to perfect the ultimate immersive and improved version of the SP experience.

I'm led to believe through the overwhelming emphasis that the JK2 community tend to place on MP that SP is somewhat forgotten about or neglected, and you may wonder why and ask 'don't you get bored of SP as it's the same thing over and over, same scripting, same AI' etc, but I actually don't. I love the story line, level design, puzzles and basically every facet of this game inside and out.

Apart from basic editing, I'm not a modder myself, but I want to be able to continue to improve the SP game experience in any way I can so that it can be shared among the younger generations who are growing up with episodes VII, VIII and IX just as I grew up with episodes I, II, and III back when JK2 was just released.

I can't see us ever getting a JK3, so I don't see why every emphasis shouldn't be made to keep the game alive, and yes, I guess the MP too obviously. This game to me personally is like an episode of the Star Wars franchise in its own right.

If you know of any mods which you consider to be essential or improve the overall immersion/replayability of the game, please let me know here.

Here is a list of the mods I use in my base folder:

*Disclaimer*: I do not own, nor am I the original creator of these mods, so please do not give me any credit for the mods themselves. However, if you see a mod listed here and wonder what it does, I would be happy to give a description of the mod.

Edited version of UltimateWeapons_JK2
Enhanced_Skins
HD Default Skins
HQ Weapons
HQ textures
FX1.0
EpisodeIIBladesV3
Hardcore Mode
ib-merc_kyle-SP
QT Saber Trail V1
Asian Stances
Wilhelm (edited)
enyak_mutilate
Weapon Glow
realistic_bullet_hits
real_sounds

I have many more, but those are basically the mods which I consider to be the bare minimum essentials to have installed for a much improved experienced of the game, especially in 2016. It may not seem like such a huge list but be aware that one or more of those mods change many aspects of the game (particularly UltimateWeapons).

I am aware that there are other projects under way such as HD remakes etc by dedicated modders and I absolutely welcome and support these people as they are working recreationally out of there own time and almost always working solely.

I suppose the beauty of keeping alive an old game is that we are way ahead in terms of hardware and technology now, so with every new mod which seeks to improve the graphical or physics/gameplay elements of the game, there are less people who will run in to technical difficulties due to most people's harware today far exceeding the system requirements.

Anyhow, what mods are you playing with in SP? Drop a comment and let me know, and if you notice any mods missing from my list that you recommend or think ought to be there, please share! We're only going to keep this game alive and flourishing by being open and enthusiastic about it!

Cheers.

Christoph.
Last edited by imrightyourleft on 19 Jan 2016, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Boothand
Administrator

Re: Does anyone still play SP?

Post by Boothand »

Nice to see someone who cares about SP! I thoroughly enjoy the singleplayer campaign, and together with a friend (on skype) about a year ago, I played on stream, going pretty hardcore on the campagin - hardest difficulty, and no saves other than checkpoints. I really recommend that experience for people who aren't too annoyed with repetition in this manner.

I used UltimateWeapons for JK2, minus a few of its contents. Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied as it is. I haven't come across many of those mods, and it seems some of them take the job that at least originally belonged to UltimateWeapons, but as you said, you had edited it.

I'm curious, how is Hardcore Mode like? And real_sounds? Realistic bullet hits?
I've recently made a bryar/blaster imact effect I'm pretty satisfied with, with reference to episode 5. Would be nice to compare against some other mods.

As for the videos I mentioned, two of them at least are here: http://www.hitbox.tv/boothand/videos
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

I loved the sp mode back in the days and I do still but I have never used mods.
Maybe I should give it a try soon. :)
imrightyourleft

Boothand wrote:Nice to see someone who cares about SP! I thoroughly enjoy the singleplayer campaign, and together with a friend (on skype) about a year ago, I played on stream, going pretty hardcore on the campagin - hardest difficulty, and no saves other than checkpoints. I really recommend that experience for people who aren't too annoyed with repetition in this manner.

I used UltimateWeapons for JK2, minus a few of its contents. Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied as it is. I haven't come across many of those mods, and it seems some of them take the job that at least originally belonged to UltimateWeapons, but as you said, you had edited it.

I'm curious, how is Hardcore Mode like? And real_sounds? Realistic bullet hits?
I've recently made a bryar/blaster imact effect I'm pretty satisfied with, with reference to episode 5. Would be nice to compare against some other mods.

As for the videos I mentioned, two of them at least are here: http://www.hitbox.tv/boothand/videos
Awesome! Thanks for your input :)

I want to check out your playthroughs of SP on Jedi Master with no saves but they wouldn't load for some reason. I think it may be my browswer. Are the videos on Youtube by any chance?

I'm going to try it out myself - I've completed on Jedi Master but never just using checkpoints only... sounds like a briiliant challenge.

To answer you queries:

Hardcore Mode is a mod which is more like realism mode - it basically alters the NPC health values to lower levels, but also means that Kyle is more vulnerable too. So it's basiclally like a shoot to kill mod, which is fun to experience a playthrough with.

real_sounds alters weapon and saber sounds to the ones more akin to the movies (although this is just one of many sound mods I use).

And realistic bullet hits adds a cool, realistic looking glow/burn wall mark to walls when you fire at a wall.

The last one sounds similar to your blaster impact effect mod you mentioned - does yours do a similar thing? If so, may I take a look at it because realistic_bullet_hits does not work perfectly.

Thanks again.
imrightyourleft

Kazuka wrote:I loved the sp mode back in the days and I do still but I have never used mods.
Yeah, you really should give it a try, you won't regret it. There are mods that give SP so much more replay value.

Let me know if you need any help setting them up etc.
Miso

Post by Miso »

Anyone who plays MP and doesn't like the SP is kind of shameful imo lol. I love the SP, it's a great part of my childhood. I haven't done a full play through in a while but doing it again would be fun
Jj.miso
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

imrightyourleft wrote:I want to check out your playthroughs of SP on Jedi Master with no saves but they wouldn't load for some reason. I think it may be my browswer. Are the videos on Youtube by any chance?

(...)

And realistic bullet hits adds a cool, realistic looking glow/burn wall mark to walls when you fire at a wall.

The last one sounds similar to your blaster impact effect mod you mentioned - does yours do a similar thing? If so, may I take a look at it because realistic_bullet_hits does not work perfectly.

Thanks again.
I guess all the videos used to be out, from the start of the campaign, but I guess they've dated out over time, disappeared from the temporary storage at the site. The two that are left is basically just me attempting Nar Shaddaa over and over again, I needed two videos for it - and never made it through :P
None of those on youtube now. You could try Internet explorer or some less than ideal browser you may have, if you wanna watch it. Otherwise it might be a buffer issue, like too slow internet or so.

What I did to the blaster impacts was adding sparks similar to the level seen in the bespin shootout in SW 5, and a lot more smoke. No sounds yet though, which is really needed.

Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

imrightyourleft wrote:
Kazuka wrote:I loved the sp mode back in the days and I do still but I have never used mods.
Yeah, you really should give it a try, you won't regret it. There are mods that give SP so much more replay value.

Let me know if you need any help setting them up etc.
Allright, I'll give it a shot. :P
I'll collect all of your recommended mods and try it out. :)
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

When I first got the game, it was SP only for me simply because I didn't have access to the internet back then. (Yeah really)
I played the whole campaign at least 8 times in the last 13 years.

There are some really great custom made campaigns for jk2 SP:
http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Outca ... %20Player/
If you like SP, take a look at them, it's really fun.
I tried all of them back then.

But I'm still more excited about MP.
imrightyourleft

Miso wrote:Anyone who plays MP and doesn't like the SP is kind of shameful imo lol. I love the SP, it's a great part of my childhood. I haven't done a full play through in a while but doing it again would be fun
I wholeheartedly agree! And absolutely you should playthrough again - at least once. And I highly recommend to play through again using mods, I think it's really worth it :)
imrightyourleft

Boothand wrote:I guess all the videos used to be out, from the start of the campaign, but I guess they've dated out over time, disappeared from the temporary storage at the site. The two that are left is basically just me attempting Nar Shaddaa over and over again, I needed two videos for it - and never made it through :P
None of those on youtube now. You could try Internet explorer or some less than ideal browser you may have, if you wanna watch it. Otherwise it might be a buffer issue, like too slow internet or so.

What I did to the blaster impacts was adding sparks similar to the level seen in SW 5, and a lot more smoke. No sounds yet though, which is really needed.
Mate I'm really liking the smoke effect from your bryar mod... Will you consider doing the same for the E-11 blaster? I assume it won't be too difficult to do that given that you've already compiled the effect? And also will it be SP compatible?
imrightyourleft

ouned wrote:When I first got the game, it was SP only for me simply because I didn't have access to the internet back then. (Yeah really)
I played the whole campaign at least 8 times in the last 13 years.
Cheers mate. Your story of SP sounds similar to mine actually, I was about 13 myself when I first played the game, so it holds a very special place in my gaming world (JK2 is my all time favourite game).
ouned wrote:There are some really great custom made campaigns for jk2 SP:
http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Outca ... %20Player/
If you like SP, take a look at them, it's really fun.
I tried all of them back then.
Yeah, I've seen some of these already but I really need to try them out - thanks for sharing!
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

At the moment these are two effects that get triggered in the code, but I can re-arrange it as simply being called by the wall impact .efx in the bryar and E-11. Won't take long, can do it tomorrow!
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Here's something quite similar at least. Like I said, it had to be 'ported' over into a new effect in a way, since the one you saw in the video had code involvement, so probably not identical but similar.
Attachments
Bryar_E-11_Impacts.zip
(885 Bytes) Downloaded 1172 times
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

@imrightyourleft i found this in a old forum, but no one tells the mod name :/ u know something about this? somethings are like a dark-forces mod (the thermal detonator for example) but i rly liked the graphic enhancements, i think there are more than 1 mod... idk

"The dark side? I've been there. Do your worst." - Kyle Katarn
  • JK2 & JK3 Code-Mod Developer
  • Jedi Knight Plus Mod Project: Click Here
  • E-Mail: triforce@gznetwork.com
  • Discord: TriForce#8785
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Wow. Hmm, almost looks like the ambient occlusion stuff from Qeffects. Looks great from the screenshots.
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

Boothand wrote:Wow. Hmm, almost looks like the ambient occlusion stuff from Qeffects. Looks great from the screenshots.
i thought the same, but i remember i found this in a older forum :/ i just saved the pictures on my disk
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

Wohaaaaa :o
That looks awesome!
imrightyourleft

The above mod that you're referring to in the screenshots is the UltimateWeapons mod (which I listed in the OP). Yes... it does alter more than just the 'weapons' :twisted:
imrightyourleft

Boothand wrote:Here's something quite similar at least. Like I said, it had to be 'ported' over into a new effect in a way, since the one you saw in the video had code involvement, so probably not identical but similar.
Cheers mate, I will check this out and let you know what I think. Haven't had time yet. Thanks for sharing :)
Tr!Force

Post by Tr!Force »

imrightyourleft wrote:The above mod that you're referring to in the screenshots is the UltimateWeapons mod (which I listed in the OP). Yes... it does alter more than just the 'weapons' :twisted:
thaaaanks! ure a master, i have been a lot of time looking for that mod!
imrightyourleft

Tr!Force wrote:
imrightyourleft wrote:The above mod that you're referring to in the screenshots is the UltimateWeapons mod (which I listed in the OP). Yes... it does alter more than just the 'weapons' :twisted:
thaaaanks! ure a master, i have been a lot of time looking for that mod!
No problem, my pleasure!

But really I guess you should be thanking the creators of the mod, lol, not me :lol:
saito

Post by saito »

I play SP a lot. But I do speedruns :P
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

played jk2 für 13 years, never tried the SP though
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Ferox wrote:played jk2 für 13 years, never tried the SP though
you should really do it then
its worth it
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)