Current Attacks Targeting JK2 1.02 Players And Servers

Any notable happenings and notifications get some extra attention here, like if the server list goes down, someone gets interviewed and more.
ouned
Administrator

Current Attacks Targeting JK2 1.02 Players And Servers

Post by ouned »

So, JK2 1.02 has a new master troll who's not getting tired of attacking JK2. What is new about it is that the troll is now also attacking players and not only servers.
JK2 is a very old game and over the years people discovered a shitton of security holes / hacks / ways to crash servers etc.

Currently the "hacker" is using a security hole which makes it possible to redirect clients to his own server no matter onto which server you actually wanted to connect to. On his server he could then use other security holes to execute e.g. a virus on your PC.
However, most likely hes just a troll trying to force you to play on his server.

How can I protect myself from all this stuff?
JK2MV. It has fixes for 21(!) hacks/security holes.
Current JK2MV versions don't contain all of the fixes though. We will try to release a new version in a few days.
EDIT: Released.

Good luck,
ouned 8-)
Daggolin
Administrator

Re: Current Attacks Targeting JK2 1.02 Players And Servers

Post by Daggolin »

Using the old jk2mv clients should prevent the attacker from redirecting you to other servers, but you are still going to experience connection issues.

We have automated builds at "https://jk2mv.org/builds". They are untested, but already contain fixes. If you are unable to play due to the attack you can try one of the "development builds". However you should update to jk2mv v1.1 as soon as it gets released, instead of sticking to development builds.

If you can't update or just don't want to use jk2mv you should avoid refreshing the serverlist. Your best chance is directly connecting via the connect command (/connect ip:port).
Valar

Post by Valar »

!
Daryun

Post by Daryun »

too bad, hope you backtrace ip, give him some tissue issues, he already has a ton, seeing as he needs to give this much negativity to a whole community. poor guy, but, not our issue so no need to borrow him any tissues. nor does any of us care enough, so backtrace and rape his ego so he has to face his own demons. que psych ward scene.

-norse
jozuf

Post by jozuf »

Man that's poor. But on the positive side, you can't kill off an already dead game ;). Is this the flawless and his slave story you told me about daggo? ^-^
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

jozuf wrote:Man that's poor. But on the positive side, you can't kill off an already dead game ;). Is this the flawless and his slave story you told me about daggo? ^-^
It isn't dead, just dying slowly :) It have been in this state for years now, but there are still a great amount of devoted players (Considering the age of the game), who keeps playing the game, as well as a few old player returning every once in a while :D

This type of situations is the type of things that could potentially kill it off though, had it not been because Daggolin and Ouned fixed most security exploits he abuse :3 Gotta love JK2MV :D
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

don't give him any attention, thats the worst punishment for people
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Ferox wrote:don't give him any attention, thats the worst punishment for people
Normally I don't but as soon as players are attacked you just have to.
And the attacks made 1.02 nearly unplayable when not using jk2mv.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

whatever makes him do this, it is an example of why there is still war and pointless killing in real life. whether it is a big thing in real life or a seemingly small thing in an online game, the bitterness of one single individual always destroys things for other people.
jozuf

Post by jozuf »

Ferox wrote:whatever makes him do this, it is an example of why there is still war and pointless killing in real life. whether it is a big thing in real life or a seemingly small thing in an online game, the bitterness of one single individual always destroys things for other people.
He's basically JK2 Hitler, wanting to put us in concentration camp servers.
Kazuka

Post by Kazuka »

lol
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

JK2MV v1.1 with fixes for all of these bugs has been released.
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

Attacks currently running again...
lil_binger

Post by lil_binger »

That is pretty sad that people have to ruin a game just because they can. I have one idea of who it could be. I have seen a name pop up on server info recently and back in the day he was a pretty big nuisance. Of course I don't know for sure it was him but he caused a lot of trouble back in the day when =LM= was a major force on the servers. I am also not going to name any names because there is little anyone can do about it except to find a way to prevent the problems he is causing from effecting their server or game. And of course I could be wrong also but I have my suspicions. It sure hurts others who don't know about Jk2MV.
Daggolin
Administrator

Post by Daggolin »

The attacks have stopped it seems.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Everyone knows who it is, but knowing that doesn't help - but the attacks have been prevented/stopped for now.
fou_original

Post by fou_original »

nobody is going to name him? fuck that.
FUCK YOU GIZ
ouned
Administrator

Post by ouned »

;D
Kevin
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

fou_original wrote:nobody is going to name him? fuck that.
FUCK YOU GIZ
xD
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)